We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

What big name OC is coming here?

Just because he's a G5 coach doesn't disqualify him from being a good OC, you wanna take a guess where Dabo got his OC from?

Pay them enough, and you can get one.

Manny Diaz isnt, nor will he ever be Dabo Swinney. He's not savvy enough to find the right ones. Lashlee's career as an OC...40th, 96th, 83rd, 37th, 86th, 10th, 8th, 20th in yards per play.

Those years at Auburn, Lashlee was never in full control. From an article after he left Auburn:

“He’s always going to be involved in the offense. It is what it is,” Lashlee said. “There is nothing wrong with that. He knew I was at the point where I wanted to be in full control. We had talked about it for a few years, and it just became time. Sometimes it’s hard to put into words, but you know it’s time to branch off and develop and try to develop further as a coach. It just made sense.”

Since he's been his own man...at UConn and SMU, I'm not sure I see what makes him a good candidate. Average on his best day Group of 5 playcaller. I guess he'd fit right in.

Advertisement
Low risk, high reward.

Low risk: He's not a home run hire so the likelihood of him saving Manny's job is minimal. I doubt he'll be able to come in here and turn the program around similar to how Brady did for LSU.

High reward: He marginally improves the offense but not enough to keep the fans and media from putting the pressure on BOT. Manny gets fired. Blake gets fired.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m encouraged by his one year at Connecticut. They stunk, but they moved up about forty spots in yards per play and promptly sunk back down when he left.

That's one of the bullet points of what you look for in a coordinator - drastically improved his side of the ball when he got there, then fall off a cliff when he left. So long as he puts a good OL and WR coach around him, I don't have a problem. His OL coach (if hired) is an absolutely critical hire as we haven't had a decent OL coach since Stoutland.

Advertisement
No matter who it’s going to be at oc, I’m sure SOMEONE is going to stand on a hill and say how they don’t like something about an oc candidate. That’s how most fans and especially ours are. Everyone has faults and it’s never a perfect candidate.

what I liked about lashlee at smu is how:
-many plays they ran per game,
- true spread offense getting your athletes in space to make plays.
-the pace of the offense,
-being top 15 in sacks allowed( only 17 sacks in 13 games) which we greatly need. Shows he knows how to work around talent deficiency on the oline.
- being a top 10 offense in the country
- averaging over 40 points per game

Pay them enough, and you can get one.

Manny Diaz isnt, nor will he ever be Dabo Swinney. He's not savvy enough to find the right ones. Lashlee's career as an OC...40th, 96th, 83rd, 37th, 86th, 10th, 8th, 20th in yards per play.

Those years at Auburn, Lashlee was never in full control. From an article after he left Auburn:

“He’s always going to be involved in the offense. It is what it is,” Lashlee said. “There is nothing wrong with that. He knew I was at the point where I wanted to be in full control. We had talked about it for a few years, and it just became time. Sometimes it’s hard to put into words, but you know it’s time to branch off and develop and try to develop further as a coach. It just made sense.”

Since he's been his own man...at UConn and SMU, I'm not sure I see what makes him a good candidate. Average on his best day Group of 5 playcaller. I guess he'd fit right in.

In his only season in Storrs, Lashlee improved the Huskies’ offense significantly, as UConn jumped from 122nd to 49th in total offense and from 94th to 34th in passing offense.

And obviously he did well at SMU

Advertisement
So based on this thread, it’s either Yost or Brady.
If not everyone hates it
What's hilarious about that is, Brady was at William & Mary then was a GA for a year with Penn St, then with the Saints.

According to the board, he would've been a "terrible hire & sucks!" because he wasn't a highly experienced OC who had never called plays on a playoff team.

And same with Yost, before he became the coveted Superstar OC that the board wants he started out at Tiffin University & then went to Toledo before he became an OC at Mizzou. If we ever hired a QB coach from Toledo as our OC the board would start a riot.

Fans have no vision or foresight, to them it's all Clemson, Bama, UGA or whatever team is hot at the moment & we just need to go get whichever coach is on those teams, when those same teams go & get G5/FCS/D2 coaches all the time. Bama's LB coach Pete Golding had never coached at a P5 school before he got hired at Bama, he was at Delta St, Southeastern Louisiana & Souther Miss, but Saban did his due diligence & found him.

Clemson's OC Tony Elliot was at South Carolina St & Furman before he got hired by Dabo at Clemson, zero P5 experience before that. And Jeff Scott was a WR's coach at Presbyterian before getting hired at Clemson.

Lincoln Riley was a TTech WR coach, then an OC at ECU before Stoops handed over the offense to him.

Gus had to call plays to keep from getting fired due to Lashlee’s incompetence.

MAybe he got a lot better after getting fired, but that bowl game last week was an abomination.

Auburn people have wanted Gus gone for 2 years now.

Also Lashlee was wanted by most at Texas, Washington and PSU. This isnt some scrub. He is in demand.

Texas hired Yurcich.
Penn State hired Kirk Ciarocca
In his only season in Storrs, Lashlee improved the Huskies’ offense significantly, as UConn jumped from 122nd to 49th in total offense and from 94th to 34th in passing offense.

And obviously he did well at SMU

I really don't care about total offense. Those types of numbers can be skewed for a wide variety of reasons.

I'm a yard per guy. Those are more significant identifiers. His are average.

Advertisement
Back