We interviewed Rhett Lashlee for OC today; expected to interview Robert Anae today as well

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
You need to checkout SMU’s highlights for 2019. This team was very exciting and has a lot of buzz in Dallas.
This is about the best hire we can make right now.

Maybe. Would like to think so. But a single year isn't a trend in my eyes.

Just looking at Total Offense from when he took over at Auburn and when he left shows a steep regression.

2013 - Total Offensive Rank 12
2014 - Total Offensive Rank 25
2015 - Total Offensive Rank 74
2016 - Total Offensive Rank 49
(Malzahn starts taking offense back)
2017 - Fired/leaves for UCONN

Advertisement
Anyone have a quick synopsis of what happened at Auburn with him that Malzahn stripped him of playcalling duties and then he was gone to UConn?

The tweets in this article seem to suggest Lashlee took over playcalling? Was it taken back? Is Mahlzahn an Indian giver?

Lashlee had those boys Top 20 every year except that 2016 season, which again, was shameful, and as you said almost cost Gus his job. It would appear that year was the anomaly and not the norm. They started like 6 qb's that season or something crazy. I think they even had a kicker playing WR that year (something we've seen as Canes fans). Their offense was basically give the ball to Kerryon.

BUT -- that speaks to something else though. Lashlee was partly responsible for recruiting that team. So if the team's personnel was garbage (Sean White as a qb -- really???), then what does that say about his evaluation skills? That's the red flag I'm looking at .

He had to at least help with landing Peyton Barber, Kerryon Johnson, Roc Thomas(5*), and like 3 other 4 star backs in 3 years. Tre Mason had 23 TDS! He had no QB to throw the ball....Nick Marshall was awful. Shawn White was Meh and J. Johnson(#11 QB) didnt really pan out like he should have. All were 4*s and then he landed a 4* on his way out the door.

Advertisement
Auburn had really bad QB play in in 2016. (I was at the Georgia game. Yikes!) Jeremy Johnson was briefly getting Heisman hype, but never panned out. Sean White wasn't very good. He could run ok, but not a good passer. Also, he struggled to stay sober. Lashlee wasn't fired at Auburn. It was just time to move on from Gus. He improved UCONN's offense and did well at SMU. He's not the best out there, but might be the best we can get considering the current situation.

Maybe. Would like to think so. But a single year isn't a trend in my eyes.

Just looking at Total Offense from when he took over at Auburn and when he left shows a steep regression.

2013 - Total Offensive Rank 12
2014 - Total Offensive Rank 25
2015 - Total Offensive Rank 74
2016 - Total Offensive Rank 49
(Malzahn starts taking offense back)
2017 - Fired/leaves for UCONN

Malzahn called the plays 2013-2015. That 2015 ranking is why he gave play calling to Lashlee when the season didn’t start well in 2016.

Gus decided he would get fired or keep his job on his own play-calling, so he took the play-calling back in 2017.

Chip Long didn’t call plays at Auburn. Which is why he left.

Gus is going to let Chad Morris call plays next season. But, aside from the brief period in 2016, Gus calls his own plays.

Lashlee wasn’t fired from Auburn. He left to be the play caller.

Advertisement
Back