VTech thoughts

Advertisement
I’ll have something later on the search, but here are some quick thoughts on yesterday’s game:

- I know I overhype our QBs, but does anyone disagree that TVD is a first-round talent? The size and physicality are there, he can throw anywhere on the field and he’s an athlete. He was a little cautious early in the battle with Garcia, but now we are seeing the athletic arrogance come out.

His multisport background really helps him. He competed year-round instead of training. That’s one reason he is able to shake off bad plays and keep looking for big throws. The hype is just starting nationally.

- Very happy to see Thad Franklin gets some burn. He reminds me of Frank Gore in the latter part of his career. He will rarely take losses with his slippery but forceful style. Hopefully, the early struggles were just part of a maturation process. I still think he’s the most talented pure runner in the group.

- The future looks bright at WR. Brashard Smith is the type of athlete that we expect from Miami. Jacolby George is emerging and has a chance to replicate some of the things Rambo has done this year. Similar physical traits.

- Mallory is the greatest TE of all time after a penalty. Jokes aside, he is looking healthy and more like the guy who tore up Greentree for years.

- We got a lucky spot on that Knighton fourth down. Franklin needs a permanent role there.

- Happy for Mike Harley and Zack McCloud. They deserved success on Senior Day. McCloud isn’t Greg Rousseau but he is having a nice year at DE.

- Nesta is also having a good senior season. Curious what the future holds for him.

- Feeling good about my comp for Kam Kinchens- a more gifted Jaquan Johnson. He puts a lot of tackles on teaching tape.

- Chase Smith is different. He should have been playing from Day 1. The physical talent and versatility stands out just like it does with James Williams.

- Corner will need new blood there. Not enough guys playing strong outside of Tyrique. We get outworked on 50/50 balls consistently and it’s a poor tackling group.

All in all, no injuries, nice highlights, experience for the young guys and a win. Go Canes.
Another great writeup. Love it. I would just add that the Canes were also pretty good in the trenches. The OL has really improved in pass protection (zero sacks and very few pressures), and JaKai Clark has been a pleasant surprise. A few more carries by Franklin would probably solve a lot of the problems with the run game. The DL also dominated. Four sacks and 10 tackles for loss.

I’ll have something later on the search, but here are some quick thoughts on yesterday’s game:

- I know I overhype our QBs, but does anyone disagree that TVD is a first-round talent? The size and physicality are there, he can throw anywhere on the field and he’s an athlete. He was a little cautious early in the battle with Garcia, but now we are seeing the athletic arrogance come out.

His multisport background really helps him. He competed year-round instead of training. That’s one reason he is able to shake off bad plays and keep looking for big throws. The hype is just starting nationally.

- Very happy to see Thad Franklin gets some burn. He reminds me of Frank Gore in the latter part of his career. He will rarely take losses with his slippery but forceful style. Hopefully, the early struggles were just part of a maturation process. I still think he’s the most talented pure runner in the group.

- The future looks bright at WR. Brashard Smith is the type of athlete that we expect from Miami. Jacolby George is emerging and has a chance to replicate some of the things Rambo has done this year. Similar physical traits.

- Mallory is the greatest TE of all time after a penalty. Jokes aside, he is looking healthy and more like the guy who tore up Greentree for years.

- We got a lucky spot on that Knighton fourth down. Franklin needs a permanent role there.

- Happy for Mike Harley and Zack McCloud. They deserved success on Senior Day. McCloud isn’t Greg Rousseau but he is having a nice year at DE.

- Nesta is also having a good senior season. Curious what the future holds for him.

- Feeling good about my comp for Kam Kinchens- a more gifted Jaquan Johnson. He puts a lot of tackles on teaching tape.

- Chase Smith is different. He should have been playing from Day 1. The physical talent and versatility stands out just like it does with James Williams.

- Corner will need new blood there. Not enough guys playing strong outside of Tyrique. We get outworked on 50/50 balls consistently and it’s a poor tackling group.

All in all, no injuries, nice highlights, experience for the young guys and a win. Go Canes.
I'm one of the few who still really likes Lashlee but it's mind boggling that Thad isn't getting the short yardage carries.

Advertisement
Breh, you calling TVD a R1 QB already.

You never learn, brother.

He's been good...but you need to relax.

Bryce Young...CJ Stroud...those guys are R1 QBs already. TVD? Relax. Definitely on the radar or watch list of draftable QBs moving forward.

He's going to have a new offensive coordinator next year...lets see what happens moving forward.
Not buying the Bryce Young CJ Stroud are R1 QBs already, especially Bryce Young.

Breh, you calling TVD a R1 QB already.

You never learn, brother.

He's been good...but you need to relax.

Bryce Young...CJ Stroud...those guys are R1 QBs already. TVD? Relax. Definitely on the radar or watch list of draftable QBs moving forward.

He's going to have a new offensive coordinator next year...lets see what happens moving forward.
If you give a lot of Qbs the same o line and wrs that Young and Stroud have they would be puting up similar numbers. I'm not saying TVD is better but he's closer to those guy then people will give him credit for.

For those that ***** about our S and C, there was a VT professor sitting in my section who remarked how badly that had fallen apart under Fuente. We were definitely stronger than they were from start to finish. I think Feeley has done pretty good here.
VaTech had over 200 yards rushing. Tell that professor to GTFOH!

Advertisement
I'm one of the few who still really likes Lashlee but it's mind boggling that Thad isn't getting the short yardage carries.

Is that Lashlee or Hickson? Clearly coaches were frustrated with something Thad did earlier. The good news is we’re beyond that now.

Good writeup D$. Defense has some serious starting talent and depth issues because of Manny’s recruiting failures. It’s going to take work to put the full side together. Need to get Rique and Jade Nasty to come back. Some bright spots with the safeties and Chase Smith.

Chantz and Harvey weren’t bad. I still have hope. Taylor needs to either trim down or learn to carry the added weight better. He seems to have lost a step. Maybe dealing with injury? What happened to Elijah?

Man are our LBs and CBS baaaddddddd.

100% agree on McCloud showing something at DE. Good for him. Gil had a pretty solid game too. Been too long for him.

TVD is special. Not sure about first rounder but he’s got the upside. And gaining confidence every game. Our whole offense is clicking. And Mallory finally emerged from his hibernation. Where was Arroyo though?

If Mario turns out to be the guy, I would like to see him retain Lashlee. I'm impressed with how he's developed TVD and it's pretty clear that King was handicapping his offense. I also think we have a chance to have a special offense next year, and not thrilled at the idea of TVD having a new coach and system. Obviously, he would be let go if Kiffin is hired, in which case I sure hope Lane brings Lebbe.

Advertisement
I’m not sure if Kam Kinchens is more gifted than Jaquan Johnson… still to be determined but good comparison nonetheless.

Update on the search later as in today still?

Refreshing for your notes on the search

Advertisement
For those that ***** about our S and C, there was a VT professor sitting in my section who remarked how badly that had fallen apart under Fuente. We were definitely stronger than they were from start to finish. I think Feeley has done pretty good here.
were not SEC strong, still lack explosive strength everywhere . till game was almost over we had 16yards rushing ....
if we hire Marion we will recapture that area of skill

In all seriousness TVD reminds me of Justin Herbert.. Same build, cannon arm and swagger. Chargers play tonight if you want to get a look at TVD’s potential

TVD reminds me of Trent Dilfer. Ridiculoisly talented, and gonna gain serious, serious size.

D$, I wouldn’t go as far as to say 1st rounder for TVD, but he’s without doubt the best Qb we’ve had since Kaaya & can eclipse his numbers from his Junior season.

What I’m most impressed with is I remember when he first was coming out of HS he had that elongated baseball wind up, but his release has gotten a lot tighter & a lot quicker being under Lashlee, that’s improved his overall passing ability altogether.

One of the areas he needs a little improvement on, is on 3rd downs being okay with taking the check down, sometimes because he trusts his arm so much he has the tendency to wanna hit the home run on the Deep ball on every play, but if he just hits the check down to a RB in the flats he’ll be even more lethal with extended drives.

But overall, he’s been nothing short of a great QB.
There was probably 2-3 times I can remember where I’m thinking you got the check down. Glad I’m not the only.

Never be afraid to take the easy money.

Advertisement
Back