Van Dyke - How's He Looking In Practice?

His mobility is fine for a Lashlee offense.

I don’t know what to tell you about his mechanics, they weren’t perfect, but didn’t look horrific like Tebow’s either, who was an acceptable college QB. Much more important are his release time (snap to release of ball) and accuracy which I can’t gauge from 90 seconds of YouTube highlights. But I’m not claiming to be a QB whisperer.

Maybe even more important than that is his mental makeup, of which no one here, not even the best insider, has any clue. Everything else being equal, this is the most important thing.

There are more than a few guys with King’s general skill set, none of whom are playing. The only reason being they don’t have his mindset.

I can agree or live with all of that.

I don't want anyone to think I'm condemning this young man to mediocrity or even failure here, I just didn't see someone who I automatically thought would kill it here or anywhere.

He has work to do, time so far to do it and that's all we can ask for. I know everyone is desperate for the next great QB here at QBU, but I'm not going to jump on that hype train with him. I want to see what he's improved on and how he progresses.

Advertisement
I can agree or live with all of that.

I don't want anyone to think I'm condemning this young man to mediocrity or even failure here, I just didn't see someone who I automatically thought would kill it here or anywhere.

He has work to do, time so far to do it and that's all we can ask for. I know everyone is desperate for the next great QB here at QBU, but I'm not going to jump on that hype train with him. I want to see what he's improved on and how he progresses.

Like I said before, just from my perspective only, all QBs are a crapshoot.

Looked like a stud vs Connecticut HS competition. May end up being great, less than great, or a bench jockey. Who knows.

N’Kosi looked good in his highlights too. Was declared “da Gawd” by most posters here, a practically sure fire freshman starter either early or late in his first season, including some of our most prominent contributors.

So I’m never one to jump on QB hype. Myself, @The Franchise , @fincane , and possibly a few others were the only ones telling people to hold up on the “N’Kosi Da Gawd” preseason hype train while it was in full steam. Most people on here had him pegged as a starter. No chance I’m jumping on any hype train until I see college game play.

Looked like a stud vs Connecticut HS competition. May end up being great, less than great, or a bench jockey. Who knows.

N’Kosi looked good in his highlights too. Was declared “da Gawd” by most posters here, a practically sure fire freshman starter either early or late in his first season, including some of our most prominent contributors.

So I’m never one to jump on QB hype. Myself, @The Franchise , @fincane , and possibly a few others were the only ones telling people to hold up on the “N’Kosi Da Gawd” preseason hype train while it was in full steam. Most people on here had him pegged as a starter. No chance I’m jumping on any hype train until I see college game play.
He (Perry) had Horrible coaching in HS....

Advertisement
He looks good. He's big, he's an athlete, he throws with easy heat and has touch. Not a runner but can get outside the pocket. Serious approach. Everybody expects him to be the QB of the future, including the players.

The true test will be full contact. Until then, you don't really know.
Thank you baby jesus.

Yep.

The coaches are very pleased with him but the players are the ones who hype him up the most. He’s very impressive to his teammates. Big , strong kid that makes every throw. Sneaky good athlete.

i will let everyone in on a little secret: if you want to know who can really play, don't ask the coaches. ..... ask the players!

the kids know who are the real deal. the ones who are talented, hardworking, dedicated, good leaders and teammates. they also know the ones who are the pretenders. that's true of every level of football.

you want to know who is a great pass rushing DE in high school? ask the opposing QB who was sacked three times in the game and is now pulling grass out of his teeth.

want to know who can get open and catch? ask the CB who just got beat all afternoon at practice by a WR and now intimately knows what the back of the kid's jersey looks like.

which QB is the best on the team? simple. ask the guys on offense which one they would prefer to be in there in a tie game in the 4th quarter. they'll tell you and they won't be shy.

it goes the other way too. every kid in the locker room last year knew that jarren williams was a stoner who didn't prepare. every one knew that jeff thomas was a flake who was unreliable as a teammate and a cancer in the locker room.

just ask the players. they'll be spot on.

I haven't seen TVD practice but am wondering if he reminds others of Sam Howell. Howell can sling it but he also picks up key yards with his legs when teams leave him unaccounted for. I have watched Howell burn teams on third and medium by picking up the first down escaping the rush.

good analogy. but TVD is bigger and stronger. and probably more athletic pound for pound.

Advertisement
I remember the players hyping up Evan Shirreffs too (lol)....in all seriousness we need this kid to pan
AGAINST WHAT LEVEL OF COMPETITION THOUGH? THAT'S GOTTA BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.

I've seen the kid play live twice in high school. he was coached by the cousin of one of my yale teammates. his competition in that league was good enough to make a strong eval. IF he stays healthy. IF he continues to develop. IF he gets a bit lucky, then he'll be the best NFL QB prospect from UM in forever. bank on it.

i remember watching n'kosi in high school and thinking: Do.Not.Want.

Color me impressed. Tyler Van Dyke is a 6'4" 212 pound prototypical gunslinger dynamo who has the athleticism of a three sport star and the quarterbacking refinement to boot. I compiled 18 narrated clips so you could get a feel for his game. I will remind the CanesinSight faithful that after his junior year I gave Van Dyke a Roman Rank of a low 4 star. After his senior year? Stock up!

Immediately upon watching his senior campaign I noticed a back away from center and a much more wide open spread offense. His offensive coordinator had widen splits along the perimeter and in this capacity Van Dyke's arm talent shined. He also showed the athleticism and escapability to extend and make plays. When you consider and take his testing numbers into consideration (Lance Roffers) you definitely have a kid capable of making plays with his arm and feet.

There is also bold claim in this video in terms of his arm strength you will not want to miss. So sit back, grab some popcorn and get to know your incoming QB. Quarterback breakdown series is on the big screen. (unless you are watching it from your phone)

This breakdown from Roman may answer some questions.

Advertisement
yes. roman and i had some back and forth last year on this kid as he knew i had some insight into his recruiting and the eval. i agreed with roman 100% on all of this, and still do.
I think Ro has shown he has great knowledge and insight of the QB position. Couple that with you actually seeing TVD play and I’ll take that eval to the bank and draw interest.

Advertisement
i will let everyone in on a little secret: if you want to know who can really play, don't ask the coaches. ..... ask the players!

the kids know who are the real deal. the ones who are talented, hardworking, dedicated, good leaders and teammates. they also know the ones who are the pretenders. that's true of every level of football.

you want to know who is a great pass rushing DE in high school? ask the opposing QB who was sacked three times in the game and is now pulling grass out of his teeth.

want to know who can get open and catch? ask the CB who just got beat all afternoon at practice by a WR and now intimately knows what the back of the kid's jersey looks like.

which QB is the best on the team? simple. ask the guys on offense which one they would prefer to be in there in a tie game in the 4th quarter. they'll tell you and they won't be shy.

it goes the other way too. every kid in the locker room last year knew that jarren williams was a stoner who didn't prepare. every one knew that jeff thomas was a flake who was unreliable as a teammate and a cancer in the locker room.

just ask the players. they'll be spot on.
Good point. If I remember correctly it was Dre and Kevin Beard who told the coaches that Buchannan was the best CB they played against. Players know when someone is different.

Go Canes!

I think it is good advice in general BUT didn't players on the team have rave reviews for Weldon a few years back?

Good point. If I remember correctly it was Dre and Kevin Beard who told the coaches that Buchannan was the best CB they played against. Players know when someone is different.

Go Canes!
Phil was UMs best Cover Corner in 2000/2001 without question....

Advertisement
Back