Van Dyke - How's He Looking In Practice?

No Canes team should ever play scared. If so the game was already lost before it started.

I agree, but let’s be real. Starting a RS freshmens that’s never started or played a college game ever against a team like Alabama, at the position of QB, is a tall fūcking order for a barely top 10 team like Miami. If you don’t get the significance of that, I don’t know what to tell you.

Of course you don’t play scared, you come out swinging if you’re a player, thinking you’re going to win, but as fans, we have to realize what we’re looking at on the field.

Advertisement
Long mobility? Probably not. But from someone on here that actually saw him play and the resident QB guru he’s plenty mobile enough.
People think we need a Michael Vick type of runner to compete at a high level. Truth is, we need a QB that can scan the field, see what is available, and take it. It's also a huge plus to have a QB that is willing to run for 7 yards when they see they can get 7 yards. If we need to rely on our QB to break 30 yard runs, we are in trouble.

Also, most QBs, regardless of pro style, dual threat, whatever... most of them are not wheelchair bound and immobile. We need to stop acting like a guy isn't athletic just because he's 6'4" and doesn't run a 4.4 40.

Per @nystateofmind:

so-dreamy.jpg

Advertisement
People think we need a Michael Vick type of runner to compete at a high level. Truth is, we need a QB that can scan the field, see what is available, and take it. It's also a huge plus to have a QB that is willing to run for 7 yards when they see they can get 7 yards. If we need to rely on our QB to break 30 yard runs, we are in trouble.

Also, most QBs, regardless of pro style, dual threat, whatever... most of them are not wheelchair bound and immobile. We need to stop acting like a guy isn't athletic just because he's 6'4" and doesn't run a 4.4 40.

Behind this offensive line we need a Mike Vick or Aaron Rogers that has elite side stepping ability in the pocket and can make throws on the run. A qb that only scan the field is going to be on his back all game

I agree, but let’s be real. Starting a RS freshmens that’s never started or played a college game ever against a team like Alabama, at the position of QB, is a tall fūcking order for a barely top 10 team like Miami. If you don’t get the significance of that, I don’t know what to tell you.

Of course you don’t play scared, you come out swinging if you’re a player, thinking you’re going to win, but as fans, we have to realize what we’re looking at on the field.
No not ideal situation but there are freshmen that start every year under less than an ideal situation. Not going to concern myself about what it might do to him mentally. If it makes him a basket case he should not be a starters anyway. Way to early to be concerned about a situation that may not happen anyway

Against Alabama though? That is a tough call. First college game ever for a redshirt freshmens against them? You are asking a lot. I imagine they’re not gonna put a lot on his shoulders if he is indeed the starter against Alabama. They’re going to keep it simple.

You don't say this, but nobody on this staff will believe we beat Bama next year. With the QB in mind, you do keep it simple. You don't beat him down and kill his confidence by asking a lot out of him. If it's close and late, you let them loose, see what happens.

Advertisement
And you are basing your opinion off what? Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one.
I'm adding everything up and I don't like what I see. Not everyone is enamored with our QB situation including me. The Phins played Tua to see what they got and I want Lashlee to play TVD.

Advertisement
It's **** boys like you who can't think for themselves and just go along with the herd. Hey ***** go **** off.

You're right, I think like everyone else here. And the herd thinks you have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Not one source. Not one second of film. Not one coach's comment. Not one insider here even insinuating it.

Nothing but your doofus brain convincing you of something that doesn't have a shred of logic or backing.

Now go away imbecile.

I'm adding everything up and I don't like what I see. Not everyone is enamored with our QB situation including me. The Phins played Tua to see what they got and I want Lashlee to play TVD.
Other than FSU what game could he have realistically played in this year? Sure, let’s just throw him in there against Pitt, NC State, or VT so we can see what we got with this freshman. Who cares if we lose the game, right? Let’s bench our star QB mid game in a close game to see if he is our QB of the future. Come on. If that happened, you’d be on here saying you want everyone fired. And if they actually did that I’d want them fired too.

What is it that you’re adding up? Are you at practice watching these guys on a daily basis? Or are you going off things others tell you?

Advertisement
Van Dyke is clearly not the athlete King is but he’s not a statue. His high school highlights show him making plenty of plays on the run.

We do have a few things going for us if TVD is the starter next season. Firstly, Lashlee can tailor his offense to a less mobile quarterback. He did it at SMU and UCONN. He keeps the threat of the QB run but doesn’t base the offense around it like he has with King. Secondly, the offensive line will be much better with an infusion of talent. Zion Nelson will be in his third year and has already made massive progress. Navaughn Donaldson will be starting at one guard spot. He’s lightyears better than anybody we’ve played at guard this year. Jalen Rivers will likely be starting at another guard spot if not tackle. And Isaiah Walker is our best tackle prospect since Seantrell Henderson. The only player we might lose is Jarrid Williams but he could even be back for another year if he wants. We will have solid, quality players at every position on the line for the first time in forever.

His lack of mobility is going to make it impossible for him to succeed in this offense behind that oline.

After seeing King, I definitely prefer a mobile QB.

But "that oline" will be dramatically better next season. Everyone but Williams is back, Walker and Rivers will be ready, hopefully Donaldson and Scaife get right in the head and in the S&C. And if you haven't already seen Big Baby, he is the first true freshman in years that I believe will legitimately be ready to start day one.

I'm actually excited about the OL for the first time since the Henderson, Linder days. And it's not like TVD is a statue like Kaaya was. I have no idea how he's playing right now. But I don't think the OL is going to be the reason he's good or bad at Miami.

Van Dyke is clearly not the athlete King is but he’s not a statue. His high school highlights show him making plenty of plays on the run.

We do have a few things going for us if TVD is the starter next season. Firstly, Lashlee can tailor his offense to a less mobile quarterback. He did it at SMU and UCONN. He keeps the threat of the QB run but doesn’t base the offense around it like he has with King. Secondly, the offensive line will be much better with an infusion of talent. Zion Nelson will be in his third year and has already made massive progress. Navaughn Donaldson will be starting at one guard spot. He’s lightyears better than anybody we’ve played at guard this year. Jalen Rivers will likely be starting at another guard spot if not tackle. And Isaiah Walker is our best tackle prospect since Seantrell Henderson. The only player we might lose is Jarrid Williams but he could even be back for another year if he wants. We will have solid, quality players at every position on the line for the first time in forever.
Also important, TVDs second year in the system. I think that will also play a role in his command of the offense.

Advertisement
Back