Van Dyke - How's He Looking In Practice?

Advertisement
Advertisement
He looks good. He's big, he's an athlete, he throws with easy heat and has touch. Not a runner but can get outside the pocket. Serious approach. Everybody expects him to be the QB of the future, including the players.

The true test will be full contact. Until then, you don't really know.

Advertisement
He looks good. He's big, he's an athlete, he throws with easy heat and has touch. Not a runner but can get outside the pocket. Serious approach. Everybody expects him to be the QB of the future, including the players.

How does he compare to the kid from Boston College? i was watching him against Notre Dame and wondering if that's kinda what they wanna see from Van Dyke, don't know how similar they are tho...

No bueno if he’s not a runner with Miami’s OL situation. King avoids many sacks with his ability to scramble/run

Advertisement
No bueno if he’s not a runner with Miami’s OL situation. King avoids many sacks with his ability to scramble/run
One has to hope that the line will improve. Another year of the system, another year with Justice, another year of weight training, recent recruits hopefully stepping in - I am not expecting the 2001 Miami OL, but it looks like the pieces are at least there for continued improvement.

I think everyone's overselling his mobility. Either this offense will need to be tweaked to his ability or we need a QB who is a running threat. TVD aint it. Too slow. He was recruited to run a painful and slogging offense by a guy who's offensive philosophy was totally discredited. Hopefully he's an elite passer and our OL continues to improve next year, because thats the only way I see him succeeding.

I will probably kill myself if I have to watch another season of a slow QB running a zone read.

Last edited:

Appreciate your input D.

He is most likely our future. I appreciate King and his game. The guy is a stud. But he is out after this year.

It's pretty clear this year. Miami just needs a competent QB. We can win with that. Yes, We have other problems.

But a real QB is huge. I hope we break him in this year. He needs to see the field.

Advertisement
I think everyone's overselling his mobility. Either this offense will need to be tweaked to his ability or we need a QB who is a running threat. TVD aint it. Too slow. He was recruited to run a painful and slogging offense by a guy who's offensive philosophy was totally discredited. Hopefully he's an elite passer and our OL continues to improve next year, because thats the only way I see him succeeding.

I will probably kill myself if I have to watch another season of a slow QB running a zone read.
Have you watched any film or Roman's breakdown? Kids plenty mobile.

Have you watched any film or Roman's breakdown? Kids plenty mobile.
Yes I have. I still stand by what I said. I think he's mobile enough to the point that he might escape some collapsing pockets but the current iteration of Lashlee's offense is kneecapped with such a lack of speed in the backfield. No defense anywhere needs to game plan for his running ability. Its all speculation of course as he hasn't taken a snap, so we'll see. To the degree that he has any mobility at all it will be one of last resort when everything else breaks down, not a weapon...and even that's pushing it.

Yes I have. I still stand by what I said. I think he's mobile enough to the point that he might escape some collapsing pockets but the current iteration of Lashlee's offense is kneecapped with such a lack of speed in the backfield. No defense anywhere needs to game plan for his running ability. Its all speculation of course as he hasn't taken a snap, so we'll see. To the degree that he has any mobility at all it will be one of last resort when everything else breaks down, not a weapon...and even that's pushing it.

Do we want a dual threat because thats the way the game is moving or because our oline is garbo? You see a true dual threat besides king In the top 10?

Advertisement
Back