Van Dyke - How's He Looking In Practice?

I guess we’ll learn real quick if lashlee is worth a **** or not. If we come out with the same offense we might end up bottom third next year. Will need some tweaking

Advertisement
I think everyone's overselling his mobility. Either this offense will need to be tweaked to his ability or we need a QB who is a running threat. TVD aint it. Too slow. He was recruited to run a painful and slogging offense by a guy who's offensive philosophy was totally discredited. Hopefully he's an elite passer and our OL continues to improve next year, because thats the only way I see him succeeding.

I will probably kill myself if I have to watch another season of a slow QB running a zone read.

Don't worry.... our current OL will make any QB run... at least for self preservation.

He looks good. He's big, he's an athlete, he throws with easy heat and has touch. Not a runner but can get outside the pocket. Serious approach. Everybody expects him to be the QB of the future, including the players.

The true test will be full contact. Until then, you don't really know.

it would be nice if we could have gotten him snaps this year. Crazy to think we haven’t had one game where he could have gotten in. There is just not way Miami can run him out for his first snaps ever next year against Bama. King is coming back, right?

Kosi is terrible so it’s not worth discussing him moving forward.

Advertisement
I guess we’ll learn real quick if lashlee is worth a **** or not. If we come out with the same offense we might end up bottom third next year. Will need some tweaking

look what Lashlee did at SMU. If he has a QB who can sling the rock, he will adjust and do that. The offense will be more RPO with TVD and less actual read option with the QB run.

look what Lashlee did at SMU. If he has a QB who can sling the rock, he will adjust and do that. The offense will be more RPO with TVD and less actual read option with the QB run.
I hear you and I agree, but he did have a passing game coordinator with him. I assume he will adjust I’m just a fully believe it when I see it guy, especially with Miami

Advertisement
Don't underestimate the power of Sonny Dykes. Outside of Cinci game, SMU offense is still elite. Lashlee is a good OC but I think he was elite last year mainly because of Dykes.

Yes I have. I still stand by what I said. I think he's mobile enough to the point that he might escape some collapsing pockets but the current iteration of Lashlee's offense is kneecapped with such a lack of speed in the backfield. No defense anywhere needs to game plan for his running ability. Its all speculation of course as he hasn't taken a snap, so we'll see. To the degree that he has any mobility at all it will be one of last resort when everything else breaks down, not a weapon...and even that's pushing it.

He's mobile enough to run an RPO system, which is what Lashlee runs. Is he your traditional read zone QB? Of course not. You take good with bad. Like Chise says, let's see how he does with the band playing and the lights are on. as D says, he's a good enough athlete to be mobile in the pocket to elude a rush and make a play. Do we want a guy who's a great RPO passer AND a great read zone runner? Of course but those are tough to find.

The fate of manny Diaz and this program needs King back 1 more year. There’s not an option on the roster that can lead us to 9-3 next year beyond King.

There's been like 2 games where king has really used his legs. As long as VD is good enough to get outside and pick up 5 where needed, we will be fine.

Lashlee will adjust to whoever his qb is.

Advertisement
I think everyone's overselling his mobility. Either this offense will need to be tweaked to his ability or we need a QB who is a running threat. TVD aint it. Too slow. He was recruited to run a painful and slogging offense by a guy who's offensive philosophy was totally discredited. Hopefully he's an elite passer and our OL continues to improve next year, because thats the only way I see him succeeding.

I will probably kill myself if I have to watch another season of a slow QB running a zone read.
Who was the first slow QB you observed?

TVD is not a runner but he is an athlete. Three-sport guy who laser-timed 4.91 in the forty and 4.28 in the shuttle at 6'4, 212. For comparison, Deshaun Watson was 4.89 and 4.24 at the same age and 25 pounds lighter.

TVD won't run like Watson, but he's not Kaaya, either.

Advertisement
Yes I have. I still stand by what I said. I think he's mobile enough to the point that he might escape some collapsing pockets but the current iteration of Lashlee's offense is kneecapped with such a lack of speed in the backfield. No defense anywhere needs to game plan for his running ability. Its all speculation of course as he hasn't taken a snap, so we'll see. To the degree that he has any mobility at all it will be one of last resort when everything else breaks down, not a weapon...and even that's pushing it.

If you notice King does not take off that often unless under duress, or there is a designed qb run call. The mobility of King is a plus in any offense, not just Lashlee's. But as been pointed out here before, an RPO does not necessarily mean the qb has to keep it and run with it to be effective.

TVD is not a runner but he is an athlete. Three-sport guy who laser-timed 4.91 in the forty and 4.28 in the shuttle at 6'4, 212. For comparison, Deshaun Watson was 4.89 and 4.24 at the same age and 25 pounds lighter.

TVD won't run like Watson, but he's not Kaaya, either.
Jurkovec from BC isn't a burner either, but he's a big dude, like Van *******, who is athletic enough to pick up yards and escape the rush.

Our fans are scarred by the Kaaya concrete cleats situation. They think it's either Kaaya or King and no in-between. Van ******* is like a lot of other big athletic QBs. He's at least as athletic as Jurkovec or Buechele, and we saw what Lashlee did with Buechele.

Jurkovec from BC isn't a burner either, but he's a big dude, like Van *******, who is athletic enough to pick up yards and escape the rush.

Our fans are scarred by the Kaaya concrete cleats situation. They think it's either Kaaya or King and no in-between. Van ******* is like a lot of other big athletic QBs. He's at least as athletic as Jurkovec or Buechele, and we saw what Lashlee did with Buechele.

Good example. Just for comparison, Jurkovec was 4.86 forty and 4.46 shuttle at the same age and ten pounds lighter than TVD.

Advertisement
Back