Van Dyke - How's He Looking In Practice?

He looks good. He's big, he's an athlete, he throws with easy heat and has touch. Not a runner but can get outside the pocket. Serious approach. Everybody expects him to be the QB of the future, including the players.

The true test will be full contact. Until then, you don't really know.
If King leaves....do you think he starts over Perry next year?

Advertisement
Yes I have. I still stand by what I said. I think he's mobile enough to the point that he might escape some collapsing pockets but the current iteration of Lashlee's offense is kneecapped with such a lack of speed in the backfield. No defense anywhere needs to game plan for his running ability. Its all speculation of course as he hasn't taken a snap, so we'll see. To the degree that he has any mobility at all it will be one of last resort when everything else breaks down, not a weapon...and even that's pushing it.
We aren’t running zone read with TVD at quarterback. We’ll still run spread but you’ll see quicker passes. TVD’s height gives him an advantage over King To make quicker throws out of the gun. you may see a few zone read over the course of the game to keep the defense honest but it won’t be the focus of a TVD offense.

Yep.

The coaches are very pleased with him but the players are the ones who hype him up the most. He’s very impressive to his teammates. Big , strong kid that makes every throw. Sneaky good athlete.
I hope he has that Brady in him. ****, I’ll take Watson. Dudes that just rally around, a guy that says IDGAF who’s around me, Imma make it work and we’ll get this win over my dead body

Nobody is overselling it, he’s a good athlete , especially for his size. He’s just a pocket passer who’s not a runner by style. Move the chains a couple times a game by scrambling and moving the pocket is all he needs to do to be effective.

I haven't seen TVD practice but am wondering if he reminds others of Sam Howell. Howell can sling it but he also picks up key yards with his legs when teams leave him unaccounted for. I have watched Howell burn teams on third and medium by picking up the first down escaping the rush.

Advertisement
Appreciate your input D.

He is most likely our future. I appreciate King and his game. The guy is a stud. But he is out after this year.

It's pretty clear this year. Miami just needs a competent QB. We can win with that. Yes, We have other problems.

But a real QB is huge. I hope we break him in this year. He needs to see the field.
I agree with you he needed to see the field, not Kosi. We seem to never get far enough ahead to use the backup

Advertisement
Yep.

The coaches are very pleased with him but the players are the ones who hype him up the most. He’s very impressive to his teammates. Big , strong kid that makes every throw. Sneaky good athlete.
I remember the players hyping up Evan Shirreffs too (lol)....in all seriousness we need this kid to pan out

Shane Buechelle hardly ever ran, as was mentioned earlier.

As long as TVD is the right guy overall (leadership, passing ability, work ethic) Lashlee will know what to do with him. He’s supposedly athletic enough to move around the pocket enough, and I don’t expect a lot of slow developing pro-style-bro 7-step drops anyway.
AGAINST WHAT LEVEL OF COMPETITION THOUGH? THAT'S GOTTA BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.

Advertisement
He's had time to refine his his game, but I wasn't ever all that excited about his potential. I didn't like his throwing motion, it's slow as **** and will be a problem, a big problem at this level. He has a tendency to release the ball low rather than taking advantage of his height. The competition level doesn't exploit any of those things I see as potential problems.

I know that's not going to be popular, but I always say what I think. I would be interested in knowing if that's been a focal point of his development. Rework his throwing motion, shorten it up, while raising his release point.

AGAINST WHAT LEVEL OF COMPETITION THOUGH? THAT'S GOTTA BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.

If you’re talking about what he’s done in high school, you are right I have no idea if he’s going to be any good, nobody does. I have no idea how good this guy can be. Who knows. Even the highest rated high school QBs are always going to be a crapshoot.

If I had my choice I want King come back one more year. My concern is mentally, he’s got to be thinking I’m 23, I need to get on with it.

He's had time to refine his his game, but I wasn't ever all that excited about his potential. I didn't like his throwing motion, it's slow as **** and will be a problem, a big problem at this level. He has a tendency to release the ball low rather than taking advantage of his height. The competition level doesn't exploit any of those things I see as potential problems.

I know that's not going to be popular, but I always say what I think. I would be interested in knowing if that's been a focal point of his development. Rework his throwing motion, shorten it up, while raising his release point.

I saw an analysis, I think it was on on of the other sites, maybe 247, that said he had a high point release. I can’t say whether he did or he didn’t. Having only seen maybe a couple of minutes of his highlights, I’m certainly no expert. Hope no one else here is making inflated claims over 90 seconds of YouTube highlights

Advertisement
TVD is more mobile than people think. If he can mirror what Howell is that would be massive! However, TVD reminds me more of Eric Dungey from Syracuse, but hopefully better lol.

Last edited:
I saw an analysis, I think it was on on of the other sites, maybe 247, that said he had a high point release. I can’t say whether he did or he didn’t. Having only seen maybe a couple of minutes of his highlights, I’m certainly no expert. Hope no one else here is making inflated claims over 90 seconds of YouTube highlights

He definitely doesn't have a high release point in his highlights. That could've already been corrected or worked on already here, who knows. He throws away from his body a lot, while dropping his shoulder and moving his throwing hand out to his right. It's a slow release, but again, it could've been worked on and changed since he got here.

Highlights show all of that. I don't think anyone, at least anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of the game, expected him to come in and start right away. Yes, it's only a small collection of his entire body of work in high-school, but that's his best throws. I wouldn't expect other footage to show these clips up.

I should add, his mobility doesn't worry me. He moves as well as most that size. I don't expect him to be mobile as ****. He's no Brad Kaaya on his feet or even close to that level.

He definitely doesn't have a high release point in his highlights. That could've already been corrected or worked on already here, who knows. He throws away from his body a lot, while dropping his shoulder and moving his throwing hand out to his right. It's a slow release, but again, it could've been worked on and changed since he got here.

Highlights show all of that. I don't think anyone, at least anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of the game, expected him to come in and start right away. Yes, it's only a small collection of his entire body of work in high-school, but that's his best throws. I wouldn't expect other footage to show these clips up.

I should add, his mobility doesn't worry me. He moves as well as most that size. I don't expect him to be mobile as ****. He's no Brad Kaaya on his feet or even close to that level.

His mobility is fine for a Lashlee offense.

I don’t know what to tell you about his mechanics, they weren’t perfect, but didn’t look horrific like Tebow’s either, who was an acceptable college QB. Much more important are his release time (snap to release of ball) and accuracy which I can’t gauge from 90 seconds of YouTube highlights. But I’m not claiming to be a QB whisperer.

Maybe even more important than that is his mental makeup, of which no one here, not even the best insider, has any clue. Everything else being equal, this is the most important thing.

There are more than a few guys with King’s general skill set, none of whom are playing. The only reason being they don’t have his mindset.

Advertisement
Back