Van Dyke - How's He Looking In Practice?

Terrifies me he can’t run with this OL. We are going to miss King’s legs when he leaves.

Advertisement
Here he is coaching them up

8550627.jpg

Weird OP would ask how a position coach looks in practice

Do we want a dual threat because thats the way the game is moving or because our oline is garbo? You see a true dual threat besides king In the top 10?
Our WRs have been inconsistent for quite some time. A running QB is great to avoid those coverage sacks.

Advertisement
I guess we’ll learn real quick if lashlee is worth a **** or not. If we come out with the same offense we might end up bottom third next year. Will need some tweaking
****, if we run the same O with an athletic QB not as good as King, we are in deep crap. We are barely putting enough points up to beat very average teams, with a very above average dual threat QB.

TVD is not a runner but he is an athlete. Three-sport guy who laser-timed 4.91 in the forty and 4.28 in the shuttle at 6'4, 212. For comparison, Deshaun Watson was 4.89 and 4.24 at the same age and 25 pounds lighter.

TVD won't run like Watson, but he's not Kaaya, either.

that's right.

the kid is an athlete. he's got great feet and there are plenty of QB's in the NFL whose running ability and athleticism aren't any better than TVD's

having the running ability of lamar jackson being the standard of mobility is just silly

Advertisement
Good example. Just for comparison, Jurkovec was 4.86 forty and 4.46 shuttle at the same age and ten pounds lighter than TVD.

yep. TVD is now over 6-4 and he's almost 220 lbs with less than a year in the feely S&C program.

kid has a ton of upside if he stays healthy, works hard, and like all things, gets just a bit lucky

Shane Buechelle hardly ever ran, as was mentioned earlier.

As long as TVD is the right guy overall (leadership, passing ability, work ethic) Lashlee will know what to do with him. He’s supposedly athletic enough to move around the pocket enough, and I don’t expect a lot of slow developing pro-style-bro 7-step drops anyway.

I'd prefer a true dual-threat QB - but all TVD really needs to do, IMO, is to be able to pick up yards on the ground when they are there for the taking. Sounds like he is athletic enough to at least be able to do that.

I think some of us are still scarred from watching Kaaya try to run - he couldn't even do the bare minimum with his legs. Man, we've had some slow QBs over the years.

Advertisement
Do we want a dual threat because thats the way the game is moving or because our oline is garbo? You see a true dual threat besides king In the top 10?
Jacurri Brown. He is the "other" QB from Valdosta where Jake Garcia transferred to. But he plays for the cross town rival Lowndes High. Big kid, can throw and run. I hope he does not land at UF, it will be a huge miss for UM. Check him out on YouTube.

I'd prefer a true dual-threat QB - but all TVD really needs to do, IMO, is to be able to pick up yards on the ground when they are there for the taking. Sounds like he is athletic enough to at least be able to do that.

I think some of us are still scarred from watching Kaaya try to run - he couldn't even do the bare minimum with his legs. Man, we've had some slow QBs over the years.
There is a 73.1% chance Ken Dorsey was a bit faster than Kaaya. Not by much, but faster nonetheless. xD

TVD is not a runner but he is an athlete. Three-sport guy who laser-timed 4.91 in the forty and 4.28 in the shuttle at 6'4, 212. For comparison, Deshaun Watson was 4.89 and 4.24 at the same age and 25 pounds lighter.

TVD won't run like Watson, but he's not Kaaya, either.
DMoney, what's your take on Jacurri Brown - 4* @ Lowndes High School, Valdosta Ga?

Advertisement
He looks good. He's big, he's an athlete, he throws with easy heat and has touch. Not a runner but can get outside the pocket. Serious approach. Everybody expects him to be the QB of the future, including the players.

The true test will be full contact. Until then, you don't really know.
Yep.

The coaches are very pleased with him but the players are the ones who hype him up the most. He’s very impressive to his teammates. Big , strong kid that makes every throw. Sneaky good athlete.

I think everyone's overselling his mobility. Either this offense will need to be tweaked to his ability or we need a QB who is a running threat. TVD aint it. Too slow. He was recruited to run a painful and slogging offense by a guy who's offensive philosophy was totally discredited. Hopefully he's an elite passer and our OL continues to improve next year, because thats the only way I see him succeeding.

I will probably kill myself if I have to watch another season of a slow QB running a zone read.
Nobody is overselling it, he’s a good athlete , especially for his size. He’s just a pocket passer who’s not a runner by style. Move the chains a couple times a game by scrambling and moving the pocket is all he needs to do to be effective.

Last edited:
Nobody is overselling it, he’s a good athlete , especially for his size. He’s just a pocket passer who’s a runner by style. Move the chains a couple times a game by scrambling and moving the pocket is all he needs to do to be effective.
i'm glad to hear this ... but i hope he has another year of season before he plays

Advertisement
Back