USC and UCLA to B1G

My Auburn buddy whose follows all things SEC very closely said they would absolutely take Miami, FSU and Clemson in an instant.

This would give the SEC all 3 major Florida schools and the 2 major South Carolina schools.... they already snagged the 2 biggest in Texas.

The question would be who would be the 4th school to make it 20 teams in the SEC if that happened.
Might as well bring in Oklahoma St. And call it a day

Advertisement
I get VTech but FSU has a Natty in the last decade and is centrally located for the conference. That should be an easy add for them
Basically said they are so bad now they add nothing. Said Miami has cachet and Cristobal. Guess that carries some weight with him.

My Auburn buddy whose follows all things SEC very closely said they would absolutely take Miami, FSU and Clemson in an instant.

This would give the SEC all 3 major Florida schools and the 2 major South Carolina schools.... they already snagged the 2 biggest in Texas.

The question would be who would be the 4th school to make it 20 teams in the SEC if that happened.
#SalutetheHoot

Advertisement
There's extensive conversation about Notre DAme on the OSU board. They seem to believe that ND was made aware of the possibility of conference moves awhile ago - they believe Big 10 people kept them in the loop. Supposedly they are contemplating whether to join the B10 now... They are the next school on the list, with Oregon and Stanford mentioned as others waiting to see what happens with ND. They also seem to think a decision will be made sooner rather than later since they had prior intel on the possibility. It sounds like Oregon could get the green light if ND decides to join the B10 as a companion school.

EDIT: just saw this.... seems to go hand in hand with the above....

Last edited:
Watching finebaum now. Surprisingly he thinks Miami best of the acc for the sec. Followed by Clemson. Hates FSU and VTech as not having anything to offer. Just passing along as it was a surprise.
Sec should just take notre dame and Miami
That would be ideal and would create a massive rivalry with long history

Advertisement
Everyone I’ve listened to today has us as one of the most desirable schools after ND. Lot of conjecture after that.
Has it been noted that Notre Dame IS NOT an AAU school? Sadly, that officially takes the B1G off the table for the Irish.

Sorry. No exceptions. I don't makes the rules. Rutgers has an academic standard to protect.

Hopefully we're in the same SEC pod with the Golden Domers.

Last edited:
I have to think if ND had to choose between the SEC and big10, that they would go with the big10. Better fit geographically, academically and traditionally.
we havent even won the the **** acc championship game yet. joining the sec for sure no chip.

Mehhhh, it has to be a package deal that includes the Trailer Trash.

The TV deal would have to be juicy for us to have to play Bama in the SECCG every year to even sniff playoffs.

And someone better be paying our Grant of Rights in full.
If it includes UNC, it's unlikely GOR will continue to exist.

Don't think they'd do that to UGA. Here's my guess, if the four teams that are hypothetically added are Miami/Clemson/FSU/VT.

Pod 1: Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, VT
Pod 2: Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Miss St, LSU
Pod 3: Texas A&M, Texas, OU, Arkansas, Missouri
Pod 4: UGA, Miami, UF, FSU, Vandy
Everybody gets a patsy.

Advertisement
And it is gaining at least a bit of momentum.

A a history lesson from the inside, for those who might not have been there at the time:

When the modern SEC expansion happened, back in 1990 when Arkansas and South Carolina were added, which coincided with the addition of FSU to the ACC and the eventual follow on of UM, there were discussions about UM and the SEC.

it wasn't the Gators blocking the move, although that was a factor, as the animosity between Tad Foote and Marshall Criser vacillated between prickly and contentious.

It centered on three things:

First, culturally, the UM BOT felt that the SEC was not a fit. Vanderbilt was the only school in the SEC that the UM BOT felt had anything in common with Miami. In the words of my aunt, who was on the UM BOT at the time, "i'm trying to picture in my head tad (foote) sitting down for pecan pie and sweet tea with the folks from mississippi state and auburn." Miami was definitely seen as an outsider by a lot of the SEC schools, and not one that would go along with how things were done in the SEC.

Second, the alumni base was not in the deep south. The 'Canes community (at the time, and even today), is heavily coastal, northeastern, and metropolitan. The opinion was that having rivalries continue in places like New York, Pennsylvania, Boston, etc. was better marketing. It would also have endangered the rivalry with FSU due to scheduling commitments, and nobody wanted that.

Finally, and most importantly, there were financial and operational constraints. The board of UM, as we all know up until 5 months ago, has had a love/hate relationship with athletics. The requirement set by the SEC for UM to join the conference would have mandated the addition of a bunch of new men's and women's sports teams that UM was not prepared to either budget for, or operationally support. We would have been the smallest undergraduate population in the SEC, (along with Vandy), at it was impractical and financially suicidal to try to add that many sports teams to meet the minimums set by the SEC. We didn't have the student numbers, the facilities, the logistics, or the financial will to make all that happen. Even now, if i recall correctly, we sponsor the fewest varsity sports of any team in the ACC.

Put all that together, and the SEC was a non-starter in 1990, and has been that way since. At least until 24 hours ago.

And even now, I have my doubts, but the chances are no longer "less than zero."
The funny thing is that the alumni base (which I’m a part of) is very metropolitan, heavily coastal, northeastern, etc but the large majority of the non-alumni fans, are not and would love I think for Miami to be in the SEC. I grew up in south florida and was a canes fan before attending their and I think my friends from home from before going to UM are really similar to the types of fans that root for SEC teams and end up going to school there. Florida is a unique state and southern florida isn’t that “southern” but we ******* love football here and that is what separates the SEC largely from the ACC or the PAC12 — those folks love football just like us.

We can’t get left out of the two super conferences and I’d be down for either one but geographically SEC makes a lot more sense

Advertisement
Watching finebaum now. Surprisingly he thinks Miami best of the acc for the sec. Followed by Clemson. Hates FSU and VTech as not having anything to offer. Just passing along as it was a surprise.

GIF-Amused-funny-jaw-drop-LOL-Newman-OMG-Seinfeld-shocked-surprised-GIF_1.gif

I can't believe Finebum (no relation) had nice things to say about UM

Everyone I’ve listened to today has us as one of the most desirable schools after ND. Lot of conjecture after that.

Crazy, isn't it? A couple years ago the Finebaums of the world were calling UM a dumpster fire with zero hope of ever being competitive again. A huge percentage of posters said UM wasnt a national brand anymore and no conference would be interested. Turns out now we are one of the most coveted brands in CFB.

Miami finally ponying up the money and investing in football was mostly due to what's happening right now with realignment. The school had to become much more attractive or it could've died a slow death if left out of a future mega-realignment.

I guarantee that was the biggest pitch that Rudy Fernandez and Joe Echevarria gave to Julio. Basically selling him on Miami basically losing football or making massive amounts of money if they invested in it proactively. I'm sure those two and Rad have been having back channel discussions since the coaching search started.

Crazy, isn't it? A couple years ago the Finebaums of the world were calling UM a dumpster fire with zero hope of ever being competitive again. A huge percentage of posters said UM wasnt a national brand anymore and no conference would be interested. Turns out now we are one of the most coveted brands in CFB.
In all honesty if we hadn't made the moves we made this past season we probably wouldn't be looked at as we do now... I mean I didn't like the school being looked at as a afterthought but to a degree it was warranted....

Advertisement
Back