USC and UCLA to B1G

Stanford would need west coast partners to make it work. I can't imagine they would be willing to go to the East Coast for just about every road event.
Yeah, if NFL teams struggle with coast to coast trips, I can’t imagine college teams will do well.

You could argue our 2000 team was one of our best ever but they lost when they traveled to Washington.

Advertisement
Unc is the one I’m not sure on but yeah , it’s been floating around.

And it is gaining at least a bit of momentum.

A a history lesson from the inside, for those who might not have been there at the time:

When the modern SEC expansion happened, back in 1990 when Arkansas and South Carolina were added, which coincided with the addition of FSU to the ACC and the eventual follow on of UM, there were discussions about UM and the SEC.

it wasn't the Gators blocking the move, although that was a factor, as the animosity between Tad Foote and Marshall Criser vacillated between prickly and contentious.

It centered on three things:

First, culturally, the UM BOT felt that the SEC was not a fit. Vanderbilt was the only school in the SEC that the UM BOT felt had anything in common with Miami. In the words of my aunt, who was on the UM BOT at the time, "i'm trying to picture in my head tad (foote) sitting down for pecan pie and sweet tea with the folks from mississippi state and auburn." Miami was definitely seen as an outsider by a lot of the SEC schools, and not one that would go along with how things were done in the SEC.

Second, the alumni base was not in the deep south. The 'Canes community (at the time, and even today), is heavily coastal, northeastern, and metropolitan. The opinion was that having rivalries continue in places like New York, Pennsylvania, Boston, etc. was better marketing. It would also have endangered the rivalry with FSU due to scheduling commitments, and nobody wanted that.

Finally, and most importantly, there were financial and operational constraints. The board of UM, as we all know up until 5 months ago, has had a love/hate relationship with athletics. The requirement set by the SEC for UM to join the conference would have mandated the addition of a bunch of new men's and women's sports teams that UM was not prepared to either budget for, or operationally support. We would have been the smallest undergraduate population in the SEC, (along with Vandy), at it was impractical and financially suicidal to try to add that many sports teams to meet the minimums set by the SEC. We didn't have the student numbers, the facilities, the logistics, or the financial will to make all that happen. Even now, if i recall correctly, we sponsor the fewest varsity sports of any team in the ACC.

Put all that together, and the SEC was a non-starter in 1990, and has been that way since. At least until 24 hours ago.

And even now, I have my doubts, but the chances are no longer "less than zero."

In undergrad, I had three fraternity brothers from the NoVa area, two went to Langley High (in VA) and the other went to the same MD HS as Brett Kavanaugh.

Anyhow, the old take-off on the saying "all roads lead to Rome" was "all dirt roads lead to Blacksburg". But, yeah, VaTech has definitely come up a lot in the last few decades.

From my friends in NoVa .....

If you're not smart enough for UVa, not smart (and well-bred enough) for Washington and Lee, ..... there's always Blacksburg.

Read that ND will be deciding in 10 days.

If true, then I think they will give the ACC one last chance for a conference saving hail mary. With so many teams in the P2, there won't be room for ND on anyones schedule. ND will be punished for not playing in a conference even if the playoffs expand. NDs NBC contract ends in 2025 (which doesn't pay them much money anyways ). After ND agrees to join, it gives the ACC the juice to redo the bad ESPN contract, and make the money more attractive to other schools it wants to poach. Adding Cal, Stanford, UW, and Baylor along with ND would give the ACC bragging rights of being the nerd conference. For all intents and purposes the Pac12 and Big12 are dead. The ACC is on life support, but still has a small chance of survival because of ND.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was at the 2003 Orange Bowl game against Florida State. Although we won, I remember walking out of the stadium thinking it felt odd. Maybe it was because we played them twice that year, a rarity. Maybe, now that the season was over, it was me reflecting on the earlier losses to Virginia Tech and Tennessee that felt so foreign after the stretch of absolute dominance. We had just beaten our rival, but something felt off. There was a level we were used to seeing for 3 years that seemed to be missing. Miami was still Miami, still a top 10 team, arguably still a top 5 team. Perhaps it was just an off year.

We move into 2004, our first year in the ACC. You start to notice the cracks in the foundation, start to realize something much bigger is beginning to fail. The two losses from the previous season were not anomalies. We lose to UNC, Clemson, and again to Virginia Tech. The Peach Bowl against Florida was likely Miami's last gasp of excellence, one final statement game from an era that was ending. In our second year in the ACC, the foundation held for as long as it could, barely making it through the regular season. But in the Peach Bowl it finally fails, not slowly but suddenly. An entire dynasty collapses in four hours. Too quickly to process what had just happened and what that meant for the future.

After that 2003 night in the Orange Bowl, the last game played in the Big East, Miami wouldn't win 10 games in a season for another 14 years. In the historic span stretching from 1983 to 2005 Miami was ranked in the top-5 at some point in 18 out of the 23 seasons. In the 16 seasons that followed Miami accomplished it once, never finishing a season ranked inside the top-10, let alone the top-5. They would only win 2 bowl games in that span. It was an incredibly long period that normalized mediocrity, at points sunk to despair, and ever so briefly spiked at very good. It never, ever reached anywhere near excellence.

The ACC in 2004 was set up to be a powerhouse. With Miami, FSU, and Virginia Tech the conference now had claim to the schools that had played in 5 of the last 6 national championship games. In 1999 both FSU and Va Tech made the championship game. In 2000, while FSU played in the championship, Miami had every right to be there and was an FSU win away from sharing a national title. The 2001 Miami squad made claim to be the greatest college football team ever assembled. The 2002 Miami team was a blown call away from the rare dynastic accomplishment of back-to-back national championships. The conference was primed to be the SEC of today, a constant presence dominating the top-5, dominating the national conversation. But unknowingly the ACC bought high and paid the price.

Incredibly enough, Va Tech would prove to be the strongest of the two Big East teams in those first years. They peaked inside the top-5 in 4 of their first 8 seasons, winning at least 10 games in all of them, before succumbing to the age of Frank Beamer. Florida State would struggle early on in the new ACC but would recover, find a dominant stretch post Bowden, and win a national championship. Meanwhile, Miami imploded, never giving anything of substance to the conference it had just joined.

You could argue that the ACC leadership is inept (it is) but even inept actors can be successful with undeniable leverage. There was no undeniable leverage though, and without it the ineptitude ran its course. You could argue it wasn’t just Miami, that many schools failed to be excellent. That is certainly true, however, Miami's downfall and the butterfly effect it created around the conference cannot be understated. We've learned from the SEC that iron sharpens iron. The ACC was very short on iron and Miami was a main part of the problem. Clemson eventually ran free and instead of sharpening schools like Miami it broke them, multiple times.

In a different universe Miami never lets off the gas after 2002. The school administration recognizes then what it finally recognizes now, that a strong football team can build an academic brand, and the school decides to invest heavily. In a different universe the domination continues and FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Clemson spend the next two decades grabbing at crystal trophies. In that universe it's the SEC, the ACC, and everyone else. When realignment comes, it's the ACC that makes the first move to grab Notre Dame, setting the standard for what conference excellence should look like. When the SEC takes Texas and Oklahoma, it's the ACC that poaches Southern California and UCLA from the PAC12. Fans inside the BIG10 argue over what their teams should do, panicking that they’ll be left out of the new order. In that universe the ACC is the standard of college football and academic excellence.

We don’t live in that universe. In this universe Miami will likely get to move on. Its brand is strong enough, its history has value, but most importantly it’s in an attractive market. The newly found resources, support from the administration, coaching changes, and infusion of outside money is what Miami fans had wanted for almost two decades. Under this new leadership, it is more than likely Miami will find its place again as a perennial top 10 team, landing in one of the remaining few super conferences. But any Miami fan would be lying to themselves if, when the ACC finally collapses, you look at the rubble and don’t realize one of the first beams that failed was driven into the Miami limestone.

Advertisement
The ACC, Pac and Big 12 all have 1 choice. Combine and beat both the SEC and Big 10. Make a 24 team conference, with Oregon, Washington and others from the Pac, ND, some Big 12 school like WVU and Baylor. **** put all the remaining schools in one Big pod, even up to 30 and get a big bag. They won't do it and the SEC and Big 10 will swallow the football powers. I feel bad for the stragglers like Wake and Arizona, Texas Tech.

I was at the 2003 Orange Bowl game against Florida State. Although we won, I remember walking out of the stadium thinking it felt odd. Maybe it was because we played them twice that year, a rarity. Maybe, now that the season was over, it was me reflecting on the earlier losses to Virginia Tech and Tennessee that felt so foreign after the stretch of absolute dominance. We had just beaten our rival, but something felt off. There was a level we were used to seeing for 3 years that seemed to be missing. Miami was still Miami, still a top 10 team, arguably still a top 5 team. Perhaps it was just an off year.

We move into 2004, our first year in the ACC. You start to notice the cracks in the foundation, start to realize something much bigger is beginning to fail. The two losses from the previous season were not anomalies. We lose to UNC, Clemson, and again to Virginia Tech. The Peach Bowl against Florida was likely Miami's last gasp of excellence, one final statement game from an era that was ending. In our second year in the ACC, the foundation held for as long as it could, barely making it through the regular season. But in the Peach Bowl it finally fails, not slowly but suddenly. An entire dynasty collapses in four hours. Too quickly to process what had just happened and what that meant for the future.

After that 2003 night in the Orange Bowl, the last game played in the Big East, Miami wouldn't win 10 games in a season for another 14 years. In the historic span stretching from 1983 to 2005 Miami was ranked in the top-5 at some point in 18 out of the 23 seasons. In the 16 seasons that followed Miami accomplished it once, never finishing a season ranked inside the top-10, let alone the top-5. They would only win 2 bowl games in that span. It was an incredibly long period that normalized mediocrity, at points sunk to despair, and ever so briefly spiked at very good. It never, ever reached anywhere near excellence.

The ACC in 2004 was set up to be a powerhouse. With Miami, FSU, and Virginia Tech the conference now had claim to the schools that had played in 5 of the last 6 national championship games. In 1999 both FSU and Va Tech made the championship game. In 2000, while FSU played in the championship, Miami had every right to be there and was an FSU win away from sharing a national title. The 2001 Miami squad made claim to be the greatest college football team ever assembled. The 2002 Miami team was a blown call away from the rare dynastic accomplishment of back-to-back national championships. The conference was primed to be the SEC of today, a constant presence dominating the top-5, dominating the national conversation. But unknowingly the ACC bought high and paid the price.

Incredibly enough, Va Tech would prove to be the strongest of the two Big East teams in those first years. They peaked inside the top-5 in 4 of their first 8 seasons, winning at least 10 games in all of them, before succumbing to the age of Frank Beamer. Florida State would struggle early on in the new ACC but would recover, find a dominant stretch post Bowden, and win a national championship. Meanwhile, Miami imploded, never giving anything of substance to the conference it had just joined.

You could argue that the ACC leadership is inept (it is) but even inept actors can be successful with undeniable leverage. There was no undeniable leverage though, and without it the ineptitude ran its course. You could argue it wasn’t just Miami, that many schools failed to be excellent. That is certainly true, however, Miami's downfall and the butterfly effect it created around the conference cannot be understated. We've learned from the SEC that iron sharpens iron. The ACC was very short on iron and Miami was a main part of the problem. Clemson eventually ran free and instead of sharpening schools like Miami it broke them, multiple times.

In a different universe Miami never lets off the gas after 2002. The school administration recognizes then what it finally recognizes now, that a strong football team can build an academic brand, and the school decides to invest heavily. In a different universe the domination continues and FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Clemson spend the next two decades grabbing at crystal trophies. In that universe it's the SEC, the ACC, and everyone else. When realignment comes, it's the ACC that makes the first move to grab Notre Dame, setting the standard for what conference excellence should look like. When the SEC takes Texas and Oklahoma, it's the ACC that poaches Southern California and UCLA from the PAC12. Fans inside the BIG10 argue over what their teams should do, panicking that they’ll be left out of the new order. In that universe the ACC is the standard of college football and academic excellence.

We don’t live in that universe. In this universe Miami will likely get to move on. Its brand is strong enough, its history has value, but most importantly it’s in an attractive market. The newly found resources, support from the administration, coaching changes, and infusion of outside money is what Miami fans had wanted for almost two decades. Under this new leadership, it is more than likely Miami will find its place again as a perennial top 10 team, landing in one of the remaining few super conferences. But any Miami fan would be lying to themselves if, when the ACC finally collapses, you look at the rubble and don’t realize one of the first beams that failed was driven into the Miami limestone.
What we gonna do now?

Advertisement
I was at the Ft. Lauderdale airport last night. A guy had an 88 Cowboys jersey on. I said ‘Irv’ 47 in your heart.

The guy immediately knew I was a Cane fan and it was glorious. Does not happen in Boston. Ever.
Notre Dame is the Boston market. BC a distant second but still borderline relevant. Miami is irrelevant up here

A few more things to add. Cambridge and Boston are two totally different animals. They may be neighbors but they are very different joints. The Peoples Republic is the peoples republic.

If you only spent three years in Cambridge you must be 1 billion times smarter than me. So, moving forward, I defer to you on all things. Veritas and MIT are also different animals from the “Boston” schools.

Cambridge is full of wicked smahht people.

And please, don’t take my tone as anything but playful.
Go Crimson.

Advertisement
If true, then I think they will give the ACC one last chance for a conference saving hail mary. With so many teams in the P2, there won't be room for ND on anyones schedule. ND will be punished for not playing in a conference even if the playoffs expand. NDs NBC contract ends in 2025 (which doesn't pay them much money anyways ). After ND agrees to join, it gives the ACC the juice to redo the bad ESPN contract, and make the money more attractive to other schools it wants to poach. Adding Cal, Stanford, UW, and Baylor along with ND would give the ACC bragging rights of being the nerd conference. For all intents and purposes the Pac12 and Big12 are dead. The ACC is on life support, but still has a small chance of survival because of ND.
Agreed. However, they will need more than just ND and those other 4 schools to get near SEC and Big 10 money. If ND could be cajoled in some way to announce joining the ACC for football, then I hope they would put out feelers for any big dogs that would possibly come with ND on board. Some big dogs that don't feel appreciated where they currently are like say a Penn State or even a Florida or Tennessee, who knows until you ask. Just be prepared, with TV projections to try and tempt them.

EXTREME long shot though. And plain impossible without ND on board.

Watching finebaum now. Surprisingly he thinks Miami best of the acc for the sec. Followed by Clemson. Hates FSU and VTech as not having anything to offer. Just passing along as it was a surprise.
I get VTech but FSU has a Natty in the last decade and is centrally located for the conference. That should be an easy add for them

Internet report stating the Big 10 is waiting for a confirmation from ND before it makes final decisions regarding other programs that have expressed interest in joining (USC and UCLA). They view ND as the "big fish" and would take them over any others.

Advertisement
Back