USC and UCLA to B1G

Advertisement
More media outlets reporting Big 12 in "serious" talks with 6 PAC-12 schools about joining the conf.
It's not a serious story though if it includes Washington & Oregon. The only way they jump on this ship is if the B1G has told them both an unequivocal no about a potential offer- something I don't think has happened yet.

That said the Big 12 and other Pac 10 HAVE to try to do something now so these dominoes really might start falling soon.

More media outlets reporting Big 12 in "serious" talks with 6 PAC-12 schools about joining the conf.

Everyone of those four Pac-12 schools not named Washington or Oregon is going to try to do whatever Washington and Oregon do. Big-12 isn't getting Washington or Oregon until the SEC and B1G have both officially passed on them, and I think its unlikely the other four do anything before Washington and Oregon's fate is decided.

So I'd say hard news there is unlikely any time soon.

Advertisement
If the SEC takes Miami, Clemson, UNC and FSU, no way Big 10 doesn't take Oregon and UW.

ND staying independent is suicide. They better ease up with the diva mentality.

Funny thing is, the Big 10 can just sit back and wait for ND to join...whenever...

The Big 10 could add ND in 2030 and you'd still have teams willing to jump from any non-SEC conference to join. ****, WVU would gnaw off their own ********s for a chance to join ND anywhere.

Oregon and Washington are hanging by a very thin thead. Somebody tipped the cards too soon on that one.

Funny thing is, the Big 10 can just sit back and wait for ND to join...whenever...

The Big 10 could add ND in 2030 and you'd still have teams willing to jump from any non-SEC conference to join. ****, WVU would gnaw off their own ********s for a chance to join ND anywhere.

Oregon and Washington are hanging by a very thin thead. Somebody tipped the cards too soon on that one.
I’ve heard some folks say that if Oregon and Washington get Big Timed by B1G, the SEC could use them along with Stanford and some of the other PAC12 refugees to create a West Coast pod.

I’ve heard some folks say that if Oregon and Washington get Big Timed by B1G, the SEC could use them along with Stanford and some of the other PAC12 refugees to create a West Coast pod.

That does seem a bit extreme (given the history of SEC footprint expansion over the past 40 years), but it would be a way to steal some of the prime Big 10 expansion candidates, essentially boxing the Big 10 in. We shall see.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.35.25 PM.png

@Tad Footeball @Genghis Cane - sorry amigos I am bad at this multi-quote thing.

Anyway, BOOM. Pate announced tonight that he has negotiated a new deal with 247/CBS. He now owns the show, the channels, and the intellectual property (he didn't use the term but that's what is going on). He is launching a major merch store Friday which he can do now since he wholly owns said IP. He also announced a major financial deal with Academy to be presenting sponsor.

Clearly he had a phenomenal amount of leverage, other offers, or the option to go it alone and CBS caved to stay in the Pate/Late Kick business. It was pretty incredible how forthright he was about it. IMO his genius is how he makes the audience feel involved - no even responsible for his successes. He give everyone a little inside baseball as a bone.

Of course I am not privy to the terms, but trust me when I say this is akin (structurally) to George Lucas independently producing and owning the Star Wars prequels and giving Fox a small distribution fee to push them out, or REM re-signing with Warner Brothers in the 90's and receiving the rights to all of their post-IRS Records masters in return. He basically announced that he is set for life tonight.

Last edited:
Advertisement
View attachment 197304

Anyway, BOOM. Pate announced tonight that he has negotiated a new deal with 247/CBS. He now owns the show, the channels, and the intellectual property (he didn't use the term but that's what is going on). He is launching a major merch store Friday which he can do now since he wholly owns said IP. He also announced a major financial deal with Academy to be presenting sponsor.

Clearly he had a phenomenal amount of leverage, other offers, or the option to go it alone and CBS caved to stay in the Pate/Late Kick business. It was pretty incredible how forthright he was about it. IMO his genius is how he makes the audience feel involved - no even responsible for his successes. He give everyone a little inside baseball as a bone.

Of course I am not privy to the terms, but trust me when I say this is akin (structurally) to George Lucas independently producing and owning the Star Wars prequels and giving Fox a small distribution fee to push them out, or REM re-signing with Warner Brothers in the 90's and receiving the right to all of their post-IRS masters in return. He basically announced that he is set for life tonight.
Wow, cool find. I’m going to have to listen to his most recent show.

View attachment 197304

Of course I am not privy to the terms, but trust me when I say this is akin (structurally) to George Lucas independently producing and owning the Star Wars prequels and giving Fox a small distribution fee to push them out, or REM re-signing with Warner Brothers in the 90's and receiving the rights to all of their post-IRS Records masters in return. He basically announced that he is set for life tonight.
Wow. Good for him. Definitely the smart play and smart previous plays to have protected whatever leverage he had over all the intellectual property.

He kind of merged the Lebatard/Clay Travis models here. Doesn't have to sell to a network as an endpoint like Travis did as he already has the CBS relationship and has the "tier 1" sponsor in Academy like Lebatard has in DraftKings.

As to a connection to this thread (aside from our previous asides), Pate is a national voice that would instantly dismiss any notion of us not an immediate place at the table in conference expansion as ludicrous.

Advertisement
USC\UCLA away schedule will be absolutely brutal no matter what. Going cross country for every single game will take a tool on the kids and they will drop games that they are supposed to win.
100%. ND played in Hockey East for a bit. Every other weekend they had to travel out here. It didn't work. They went to the Big Ten Hockey conference. Travel was brutal on the squad.

It will be interesting to see how things shape up assuming there are no other PAC teams that follow.

Maybe they can convince teams like Northwestern and Rutgers to play at "Neutral sites" like Vegas and Arizona for cash. Those teams usually have opposing fans take over their stadiums anyway so they might as well cash in on it.

Advertisement
The next major realignment may happen west of the Mississippi River, where four programs in the Pac-12 South could leave for the Big 12 starting Aug. 1, 2024. Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah will stay pat for now,

Advertisement
Back