USC and UCLA to B1G

Advertisement
Why would the $EC want VT over UNC? Are we assuming this expansion is football only? The $EC wouldn’t want UNC basketball?
They have flirted with VT in the past. Basketball is important, but football is where the real money is made. Blacksburg is an SEC-type of college town. Geographically and culturally they make a ton of sense.

Why would the $EC want VT over UNC? Are we assuming this expansion is football only? The $EC wouldn’t want UNC basketball?

Virginia is a big state and VaTech has some rivalries with Tennessee and a few others.

North Carolina teams have been insular for a long time and might be a hard foursome to crack.

Having said that, anything is possible.

Advertisement
I've been to Boston 6 or 7 times. I don't recall anything about BC ever generating any local buzz. I didn't see gear or ever hear someone talking BC or see a single bar hyping a BC game.
I was at the Ft. Lauderdale airport last night. A guy had an 88 Cowboys jersey on. I said ‘Irv’ 47 in your heart.

The guy immediately knew I was a Cane fan and it was glorious. Does not happen in Boston. Ever.

They have flirted with VT in the past. Basketball is important, but football is where the real money is made. Blacksburg is an SEC-type of college town. Geographically and culturally they make a ton of sense.
Way more sense than Chapel Hill, both as a town and a base.

Virginia is a big state and VaTech has some rivalries with Tennessee and a few others.

North Carolina teams have been insular for a long time and might be a hard foursome to crack.

Having said that, anything is possible.
Fair enough. I guess my image of Blacksburg and VT isn’t the same as I view other $EC college towns. But that’s admittedly an outsiders view.

Lmao. Who is that?

One of the biggest tools/fools in Florida morning show radio ever. He has bounced around Orlando and Tampa area radio stations for 15 or 20 years, but along the way, he has screwed everyone over, had major substance issues, I believe he attempted suicide multiple times, and a whole host of other scummy behavior.

He has gone on Real Radio (Orlando) to try to "make up" with several hosts over the past few, and he just ends up being his same-old weaselly self.

Advertisement
Advertisement
While I agree VT geographically fits I don't know if they still culturally fit. I lived there for 25 years and worked for the State and then the University. I watched the town and school go from an agricultural educator and town feeling to leaning more towards engineering. The demographic in the town is 80% students and 20% retirees and random people. The surrounding area is absolutely very backwoods, but not the town anymore. The fact that VT began in the SEC makes sense, but NC did as well. The Blacksburg of today is 97% benefited by the success of Beamer and the football program. As a Miami fan I would much rather see VT go wherever Miami is than NC

I do not think that the SEC or Big 10 (14) even have us on there radar. With the exception of Northwestern and Vandy, (both long term conference teams), their conferences are made up of big state schools with large attendance. Just do not think the U would be much of a priority for them. By the time
we get back into the playoff hunt the conference situation will be settled. The ACC needs to expand with the better teams that are available or the future
may be blick. I would like to see some organization towards four super conferences. Also did not the Pac, Big and ACC have some type of agreement.

While I agree VT geographically fits I don't know if they still culturally fit. I lived there for 25 years and worked for the State and then the University. I watched the town and school go from an agricultural educator and town feeling to leaning more towards engineering. The demographic in the town is 80% students and 20% retirees and random people. The surrounding area is absolutely very backwoods, but not the town anymore. The fact that VT began in the SEC makes sense, but NC did as well. The Blacksburg of today is 97% benefited by the success of Beamer and the football program. As a Miami fan I would much rather see VT go wherever Miami is than NC

The Virginia version of Auburn...

Advertisement
Miami, FSU, UF, UGA, and Clemson ?

1656703201008.png

Miami, FSU, UF, UGA, and Clemson ?
Don't think they'd do that to UGA. Here's my guess, if the four teams that are hypothetically added are Miami/Clemson/FSU/VT.

Pod 1: Clemson, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, VT
Pod 2: Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, Miss St, LSU
Pod 3: Texas A&M, Texas, OU, Arkansas, Missouri
Pod 4: UGA, Miami, UF, FSU, Vandy

Advertisement
Back