**Uncommitted QB Thread**

Well, Lashlee was his primary recruiter. I assume they have a pretty good relationship. And Dykes said in an interview a couple weeks ago that he plans on returning to a more "traditional Air Raid" (his words) offense now that Lashlee is gone. Maybe that doesn't appeal to Stone as much.

Anyways probably 0.1% chance of it happening, I just speculating as some poster in another thread said we would **** our pants if we knew which QB Lashlee was talking to. Probably nonsense. But if true and I had to guess who it was, that would be my guess. I don't think he is swaying Brock Vandergriff from UGA and can't think of any other names that would be surprises.
That dude loves to play I know something you don’t. Lol

Advertisement
@TimeB0mb , if it’s someone who we’d shît over if we knew who it was that Lashlee was talking to, then like you said, it could be Preston Stone but Shedeur Sanders could be it. From Texas and Deion’s son.

@Zbrod95, how’s Sanders? Hard to imagine Deion’s kid not being a Dual Threat with his father’s speed.

@jackbenimble71 - we know something. 🤥 💯😎

Being better than Jarren & Kosi is not that difficult to do, that's a really really low bar.

Pepe Franks is basura, Mullen realized he couldn't win enough games with Franks at the helm after he got hurt & moved on to Trask & Jones. If he was good enough he wouldn't have lost his job to injury.

TBF, Franks wasnt coming back to UF in 2020 injuries or not. This was known before last season started.

Advertisement
And his brother goes there as well. I really don't see Stone being a legit option at this point. SMU is in his blood and they have been on the rise.

It was weird though that Dykes kept talking about returning to a traditional Air Raid. I could understand a QB recruit with NFL dreams being turned off by that. I actually found this kind of interesting.

Of all the Air Raid QBs that have been in the NFL, only Mahomes has turned out good. Now it may be the case that since Mahomes is so **** good (maybe the best QB in NFL) that it overshadows the general failure of Air Raid QBs. Still, it's a bit odd that he is pretty much the only successful Air Raid QB.

I'd be disappointed if Lashlee wasn't in Stone's ear out of some misplaced sense of loyalty to Dykes.

It was weird though that Dykes kept talking about returning to a traditional Air Raid. I could understand a QB recruit with NFL dreams being turned off by that. I actually found this kind of interesting.

Of all the Air Raid QBs that have been in the NFL, only Mahomes has turned out good. Now it may be the case that since Mahomes is so **** good (maybe the best QB in NFL) that it overshadows the general failure of Air Raid QBs. Still, it's a bit odd that he is pretty much the only successful Air Raid QB.

I'd be disappointed if Lashlee wasn't in Stone's ear out of some misplaced sense of loyalty to Dykes.

Mahone was at a whole different level above the NFL

Very few of those QBs were failures. There’s only a few First Rounders on that list.

Most Air Raid QBs have been lightly recruited nobodies with minimal talent. They didn’t belong in the NFL, and weren’t drafted as if they did.

Advertisement

People aren't analyzing Air Raid QBs fairly. Most of the teams that go pure Air Raid do so because they can't recruit like other teams that can run more varied offenses. Traditionally, Air Raid QBs were lightly recruited guys who put up great numbers in college by running that system. Then, they're asked to run more traditional offenses in the NFL and fail.

People aren't analyzing Air Raid QBs fairly. Most of the teams that go pure Air Raid do so because they can't recruit like other teams that can run more varied offenses. Traditionally, Air Raid QBs were lightly recruited guys who put up great numbers in college by running that system. Then, they're asked to run more traditional offenses in the NFL and fail.
Yea, Minshew, Mayfield, and Mahomes were always phenomenal talents but only one was give them the time to adjust while the other 2 were thrown to the wolves.

Yea, Minshew, Mayfield, and Mahomes were always phenomenal talents but only one was give them the time to adjust while the other 2 were thrown to the wolves.
Mahomes also had the significant advantage of being tutored by Andy Reid. I still think Mayfield can turn into a good QB. But he and Minshew fit the mold of overlooked HS kids with no offers. ****, Minshew left ECU to be a backup at Alabaga and get into coaching. At the last minute, Leach offered him.

Yeah I was about to post the same. Its usually the case that Air Raid teams don't tend recruit well so the scheme is the way they level the playing field (to a point, I don't think an Air Raid team will win a championship). Stone, a 4 star, would be SMUs highest rated recruit ever. By contrast, Miami has three 4 stars QBs in the QB room (TVD, Perry, Martell). Would have had 4 4 stars if Williams stayed.

I don't know who the highest rated HS QB was that went to an Air Raid school. Maybe Goff? Was a borderline 4 star (247 had him around a .91.) In any case, Stone would be going from Lashlee's spread back to a traditional Air Raid and right now the SMU OC is Lincoln Riley's kid brother, who has never called plays before (he was the RB coach at App State).

It wouldn't be all that shocking if Stone is considering following his primary recruiter, but wants to see how King does in Lashlee's offense. Coincidentally, King has been likened to Johnny Manziel and Stone said he idolized Manziels game.

Advertisement
Tim Couch was Phil Steele’s number 1 QB coming out of high school. And Steele‘s high school rankings were just a composite of all the recruiting magazines that existed at the time.
So Couch would have to be the highest rated HS QB to go to an Air Raid.

Yeah I was about to post the same. Its usually the case that Air Raid teams don't tend recruit well so the scheme is the way they level the playing field (to a point, I don't think an Air Raid team will win a championship). Stone, a 4 star, would be SMUs highest rated recruit ever. By contrast, Miami has three 4 stars QBs in the QB room (TVD, Perry, Martell). Would have had 4 4 stars if Williams stayed.

I don't know who the highest rated HS QB was that went to an Air Raid school. Maybe Goff? Was a borderline 4 star (247 had him around a .91.) In any case, Stone would be going from Lashlee's spread back to a traditional Air Raid and right now the SMU OC is Lincoln Riley's kid brother, who has never called plays before (he was the RB coach at App State).

It wouldn't be all that shocking if Stone is considering following his primary recruiter, but wants to see how King does in Lashlee's offense. Coincidentally, King has been likened to Johnny Manziel and Stone said he idolized Manziels game.
Technically speaking I think it was Spencer Rattler.

Advertisement
Technically speaking I think it was Spencer Rattler.

Riley doesnt run a true Air Raid. That was his "evolution" of the Air Raid to incorporate a power run game. If going to include Oklahoma, then I think you'll have to include every QB that came off the Hal Mumme coaching tree.

I'm pretty much limiting it to the "traditional Air Raid" since that is what Dykes said he wants to go back to next year.

And you are correct- Stone would just their highest rated recruit this century, not all time.

Stone def has family ties to SMU so there are sentimental reasons he'd stick with them, but you don't often see a top 50s player commit to a G5. All those other Air Raid QBs mentioned- Minshew, Mahommes, Goff, Couch (even throw Rattler in for the sake of argument) at least went to a P5.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t Eric ****erson be considered a 5* back in the day?

Who knows with late 80s/early 90s recruiting services. But I'd also caveat SMU landing highly rated recruits in the 80s and 90s because there was some *ahem* "financial motivation" that might have made SMU a lot more attractive than they otherwise would have been.

Advertisement
Back