**Uncommitted QB Thread**

Advertisement
Not imperative..but I'd like one....

I think once Lashlee's offense gets rolling, Miami isn't going to have any issues getting QBs. No problems whatsoever. I think it will be like Oklahoma has been the last few years, and we'll get a steady stream of transfer QBs who want to take a shot at putting up lopsided numbers on the national stage. I'm not really worried about getting a QB out of HS this year.

I think once Lashlee's offense gets rolling, Miami isn't going to have any issues getting QBs. No problems whatsoever. I think it will be like Oklahoma has been the last few years, and we'll get a steady stream of transfer QBs who want to take a shot at putting up lopsided numbers on the national stage. I'm not really worried about getting a QB out of HS this year.

the other issue with QB is that FLA isnt a strong QB state. once visits open up again, you have a better shot

I’m in the “take a QB every cycle“ camp. It gets wild too easily if you don’t.

But is an "elite" QB a necessity each year? Look at our idiot inbred competitors in Gainesville. Trask was barely a 3 star. Franks was almost a 5 star. If Lashlee sees a 3 star who he thinks is a good fit, is that a miss? I don't think so but I'm sure 90% of the board would say, "hurdy durr no good QBs want to play for Miami " then return to their coloring books and drooling on themselves.

Advertisement
You take a QB every class.

Don't get too caught up in rankings, Mahomes was the 398th nationally, 50th in the state of Texas & 29th ranked Pro-style QB in his class, Brad Kaaya was actually ranked higher than him, way higher.

Trey Lance was a completely under the radar 2-star with a 79 rating & he's going to be a 1st round draft pick. Kedon Slovis was a mid-tier 3-star with an 86 composite rating & an 84 247 rating, he came into USC & took JT Daniels the elite #1 ranked 5-star's lunch money & did so as a TF.

I think fans just think if you don't have a high caliber 4/5-star QB every class then they panic, but 4/5-star QB's flame out & transfer at a higher rate than any other position in college football.

****, both Jarren & Kosi were top 10 QB's in their class & we see how that turned out.

Take a QB every class & let the rest sort itself out, rankings mean nothing when it comes to QB's, offensive scheme & play calling are far more important. Now that we have an Ace in the hole with Lashlee as the OC we don't have to find a Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields just to have a productive offense.

Advertisement
I'm not a believer of having to take a QB every class. You sure as heck don't take one just to take one unless your numbers just suck at the position.

OU, how have they done recently with transfer QB's?

Fields at OSU, seems they didn't miss a beat.

Burrow at LSU, yet another example.

Eason out West.

Georgia, they've got two transfers coming in.

Out of the big dogs, only Clemson and Bama have generally developed their talent. Then again, Bama had that transfer bring them a NC a couple of years back. Auburn, last NC was Cam the transfer.

Heck, look at us. Our season, on paper, depends on our transfer King.

So no, unless you really see a big fish you can land or someone you can develop who you feel will stick around, I'm okay passing this year. We've got enough depth for this year and the depth will be attractive to the transfer studs or high school studs who will surface next year.

Our season, on paper, depends on our transfer King.

You never know. Maybe he gets nicked up, and TVD blows the doors off. Or Matocha. I have 1000000% confidence that Lashlee will find QBs that fit his system like Leach tended to do. I think you take one every year but there are years where you HAVE to recruit a couple top tier QBs because the starter is projected to leave, and years where you can spend a scholly on a lower ranked high upside developmental prospect. I think Miami is on the dev prospect side in 2021 because I think TVD is as good a QB prospect as any, and I think we will have a line of transfer QBs wanting in.

Last edited:
You never know. Maybe he gets nicked up, and TVD blows the doors off. Or Matocha. I have 1000000% confidence that Lashlee will find QBs that fit his system like Leach tended to do. I think you take one every year but there are years where you HAVE to recruit a couple top tier QBs because the starter is projected to leave, and years where you can spend a scholly on a lower ranked high upside developmental prospect. I think Miami is on the dev prospect side in 2021 because I think TVD is as good a QB prospect as any, and I think we will have a line of transfer QBs wanting in.

I'm with you on all of that.

Still, without King, imagine how much hope would be diminished for a great year. He's got everyone excited and dramatically changed the expectations we have.

That's mostly what I was getting at with needing a QB. Ten years ago, certainly 20 years ago, transfers weren't as common as they are today. There will be some good ones in the portal for next fall. QB"s used to wait their turn and develop, not so much anymore for the top talent. Play early or go somewhere else.

I'm not a believer of having to take a QB every class. You sure as heck don't take one just to take one unless your numbers just suck at the position.

Eason out West.

Out of the big dogs, only Clemson and Bama have generally developed their talent. Then again, Bama had that transfer bring them a NC a couple of years back. Auburn, last NC was Cam the transfer.

So no, unless you really see a big fish you can land or someone you can develop who you feel will stick around, I'm okay passing this year. We've got enough depth for this year and the depth will be attractive to the transfer studs or high school studs who will surface next year.
Every single one of those program's who took transfer QB's still took a HS QB in the same year.

Getting Transfer QB's out the Portal doesn't prevent you from still recruiting & signing a QB in every class.

QB recruiting is about playing smart money & minimizing risk, by not taking a HS QB you're just increasing risk & playing against the odds.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, you can still get both.

Advertisement
Every single one of those program's who took transfer QB's still took a HS QB in the same year.

Getting Transfer QB's out the Portal doesn't prevent you from still recruiting & signing a QB in every class.

QB recruiting is about playing smart money & minimizing risk, by not taking a HS QB you're just increasing risk & playing against the odds.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, you can still get both.

Sure, you can get both. It doesn't matter though and here's the very simple reason it doesn't. The guys they got on signing day never mattered, at least not to this point. In OU's case with their two Heisman transfers, neither ever played a down for them. You wouldn't even recognize their name in the case of Mayfield and Murray. Rattler may change that for OU as they brought Hurts in, but he was a big name while neither of the other two had big names coming in with them.

You can certainly skip a QB, my list proves it.

Sure, you can get both. It doesn't matter though and here's the very simple reason it doesn't. The guys they got on signing day never mattered, at least not to this point. In OU's case with their two Heisman transfers, neither ever played a down for them. You wouldn't even recognize their name in the case of Mayfield and Murray. Rattler may change that for OU as they brought Hurts in, but he was a big name while neither of the other two had big names coming in with them.

You can certainly skip a QB, my list proves it.
The points was even with bringing in transfers Oklahoma still signed HS QB's in the same class, they literally didn't & haven't skipped taking a QB at all.

The same year they got Baker Mayfield, they still signed Chris Robinson.
The same year they got Kyler Murray, they still signed Tanner Modercai.
The same year they got Jalen Hurts, they still signed Spencer Rattler.

UGA just took 2 transfers this year & they still signed Carson Beck in the 2020 class & will be signing Brock Vandagriff for the 21 class.

When LSU took Joe Burrow, they still signed Myles Brennan & Lowell Narcisse, then signed Peter Parrish the following year.

When Oh St got Justin Fields, they still took Gunnar Hoak the same year & signed CJ Stroud for 2020.

When Washington took Jacob Easton, they still signed Colson Yankoff & Jacob Sirmon the same year.

Regardless of what transfer QB's big time schools get they still sign HS QB's in the same class because it's just smart math. Just because you can skip a year doesn't mean you should.

Even after Clemson won a national championship with a TF QB they signed a QB the following year, they could've easily skipped that year with knowing they had Lawerence for the next 2-3 years, but they've still signed a QB in every class since getting Lawrence.

Miami's QB situation outside of King is TVD's potential, Matocha's development & hoping Kosi who has been a bust thus far finally has an offense that he can maybe be decent enough to possibly play as a Senior.

Not taking a QB this year wouldn't be smart.

The points was even with bringing in transfers Oklahoma still signed HS QB's in the same class, they literally didn't & haven't skipped taking a QB at all.

UGA just took 2 transfers this year & they still signed Carson Beck in the 2020 class & will be signing Brock Vandagriff for the 21 class.

When LSU took Joe Burrow, they still signed Myles Brennan & Lowell Narcisse, then signed Peter Parrish the following year.

When Oh St got Justin Fields, they still took Gunnar Hoak the same year & signed CJ Stroud for 2020.

When Washington took Jacob Easton, they still signed Colson Yankoff & Jacob Sirmon the same year.

Regardless of what transfer QB's big time schools get they still sign HS QB's in the same class because it's just smart math. Just because you can skip a year doesn't mean you should.

Even after Clemson won a national championship with a TF QB they signed a QB the following year, they could've easily skipped that year with knowing they had Lawerence for the next 2-3 years, but they've still signed a QB in every class since getting Lawrence.

Miami's QB situation outside of King is TVD's potential, Matocha's development & hoping Kosi who has been a bust thus far finally has an offense that he can maybe be decent enough to possibly play as a Senior.

They're taking players for depth. It isn't rocket science and most of those guys won't ever do much at these powerhouses. Most will transfer or get passed up by the new hotshot QB, case in point Clemson and OU with DJ and Rattler respectively

We have the depth if we need to skip this year. We don't need a roster filler. If there's someone as I initially said that's a future starter or has developmental prospects, sure. I would rather fill the spot with other talent if needed.

There is no must take a QB when you shouldn't have a problem with running plays in practice like we had years back at WR and were using BM (our kicker) to fill in.

We'll be primed to take a big transfer like King and sign a top QB next year. We've got that luxury now, we haven't in the past, that's for sure.

Trust me, I get what you're saying, but with the portal there is no absolute with having to take anyone unless it's strictly for depth. Say it's a QB or finding a spot for Y. Brown, I'm going with Brown. In particular if we only take one running back.

Advertisement

Eason out West.

Plenty of Quality under the radar QBs available every year if you can't land a big fish

I don't get why Washington is so appealing to QBs lately. Seems like just about every year they land a high end Top 10 QB and sometimes two.

Advertisement
Back