UNC Matchup

This game is going to be just as easy as when Miami played USF.....

Al Golden might do the old "sub out players in the 3rd quarter, b/c i dont want to blow anybody out" routine again.

Advertisement
People need to stop bringing up GT. That gimmick offense allows them to overachieve. Even then it was only successful for 1 quarter. Turnovers are the only reason the game was close.

UNC has no such gimmick and they're not particularly more talented or better coached than GT is.

Morris will be healthy. I ain't got no worries. Miami rolls.

Lingering effects of Shancokerization abound in this thread.

The weakness is apalling.

Share your thoughts, call someone out. If it is me, I will cry first but I can take it.

My thoughts?

I see nothing in either team's body of work to date or in the situation that leads me to believe any of the following:

1) that UNC is more talented

2) that UNC is better coached

3) that this Miami team plays down to the level of competition

4) that UNC has any tangible advantage playing in Chapel Hill.

So, given that none of those appear to be true, I see no specific reason, other than pure doubt, to fear this game.

The better-coached, more-talented team generally doesn't lose to sub-par competition. It happens occasionally, but not often. What our fans are failing to realize here, I think, is that we are that better-coached squad. It's been so long since we were (at least ten years, maybe as long as twenty-four) consistently not only the athletically superior squad, but also the organizationally superior one as well, that our fans are slow to come around to facts that opened this paragraph. Or, I should say, some of our fans are slow to believe that Miami is that team now, and not the team of the past seven or eight years that would routinely lose games it had no business losing.

I think we are either that team already or pretty **** close. I think our days of dropping games that should be double-digit wins are past us. If not totally, then largely, and soon to be completely. Those teams are out there. Oregon doesn't lose games it shouldn't. Nor do other truly elite teams. I don't think we're elite yet, but we're on the way. I'm done with fearing fear. When I see a real problem that can't be ignored, then I'll worry. Against UNC, I see nothing of that nature.

Long-winded. My apologies in that front.

**** I thought this thread was about how we are going to roll UNC.... I didnt no ppl were actually scared of them.

Advertisement
Wake Forest lost to Louisiana Monroe at home, and Clemson by 7 touchdowns.

EVEN IF that's a trap game, we should able to win by 20 with our C- game.

**** I thought this thread was about how we are going to roll UNC.... I didnt no ppl were actually scared of them.

We've been losing to teams we shouldn't for a decade now. It's probably going to take more than 5 games to completely change the attitudes of a lot fans.

Edit: Or what Biscuit said

Last edited:
We need to start to play better teams so this will help us. A lot of teams can go 5-0 beating high schoolers. We need to win this game decisively to make a statement that we stand a chance walking into a stadium like fsu. The offense should score but in recent times our defense has been dramatically worse on the road. We need to stop that trend and win going away--the likes of 38-17 or something. If we can't, we're just pretenders and fsu will demonstrate that to the country. It's time to start proving a point in these road games against bad to middling teams.

Stop.

Dude says we're playing HS teams, yet props up fsu, who has played no one. He must have forgot 1 of those 5 wins was against a uf.ag team that eviscerated fsu a few months ago.

Do you think that a team that squeaks by playing at unc can walk into tally and win? If so, I disagree with you and that's the point. If we stand a chance at Tally, we should win this game decisively. There is no mystery in that.

We need to start to play better teams so this will help us. A lot of teams can go 5-0 beating high schoolers. We need to win this game decisively to make a statement that we stand a chance walking into a stadium like fsu. The offense should score but in recent times our defense has been dramatically worse on the road. We need to stop that trend and win going away--the likes of 38-17 or something. If we can't, we're just pretenders and fsu will demonstrate that to the country. It's time to start proving a point in these road games against bad to middling teams.

Stop.

Dude says we're playing HS teams, yet props up fsu, who has played no one. He must have forgot 1 of those 5 wins was against a uf.ag team that eviscerated fsu a few months ago.

Do you think that a team that squeaks by playing at unc can walk into tally and win? If so, I disagree with you and that's the point. If we stand a chance at Tally, we should win this game decisively. There is no mystery in that.

The same fsu team that you hold in such high regard was in a dog fight with a bad BC team a couple weeks ago. They pulled away a little at the end, but that game was close most of the way. That didn't stop them from slaughtering Maryland. I don't put too much in stock in one game here or there.

When UM and fsu play, what happened the previous week doesn't matter at all. Remember 2002 when we were supposed to destroy a bad fsu Chris Rix-led team? These rivalry games are just different. There's often no rhyme or reason to what happens.

Advertisement
The same fsu team that you hold in such high regard was in a dog fight with a bad BC team a couple weeks ago. They pulled away a little at the end, but that game was close most of the way. That didn't stop them from slaughtering Maryland. I don't put too much in stock in one game here or there.

When UM and fsu play, what happened the previous week doesn't matter at all. Remember 2002 when we were supposed to destroy a bad fsu Chris Rix-led team? These rivalry games are just different. There's often no rhyme or reason to what happens.

Over the course of a season these things happen, it is actually the norm. At the end of the day all that matters is whether you win the game or not. As for FSU, they were only up 4 with 11:52 left in the 3rd Quarter. Even after FSU kicked a FG to make it 41-27 with 14:07 left in the game, Chase Rettig threw a pick 6 the other way.

As for this FSU team, I believe they were better last year when they had that defense and we were worse (much worse). Even though the game is on the road, I like our chances more. This game is 24 days from now, a lot can happen between now and then.

Lingering effects of Shancokerization abound in this thread.

The weakness is apalling.

Share your thoughts, call someone out. If it is me, I will cry first but I can take it.

My thoughts?

I see nothing in either team's body of work to date or in the situation that leads me to believe any of the following:

1) that UNC is more talented

2) that UNC is better coached

3) that this Miami team plays down to the level of competition

4) that UNC has any tangible advantage playing in Chapel Hill.

So, given that none of those appear to be true, I see no specific reason, other than pure doubt, to fear this game.

The better-coached, more-talented team generally doesn't lose to sub-par competition. It happens occasionally, but not often. What our fans are failing to realize here, I think, is that we are that better-coached squad. It's been so long since we were (at least ten years, maybe as long as twenty-four) consistently not only the athletically superior squad, but also the organizationally superior one as well, that our fans are slow to come around to facts that opened this paragraph. Or, I should say, some of our fans are slow to believe that Miami is that team now, and not the team of the past seven or eight years that would routinely lose games it had no business losing.

I think we are either that team already or pretty **** close. I think our days of dropping games that should be double-digit wins are past us. If not totally, then largely, and soon to be completely. Those teams are out there. Oregon doesn't lose games it shouldn't. Nor do other truly elite teams. I don't think we're elite yet, but we're on the way. I'm done with fearing fear. When I see a real problem that can't be ignored, then I'll worry. Against UNC, I see nothing of that nature.

Long-winded. My apologies in that front.

Brilliant post

Stop.

I don't know, chief. I disagree. I think we have to win this game decisively. Until we start to whip these teams we can't differentiate ourselves as a road team from the same team that was struggling with the likes of uva and I for one do not see that team coming within 2 td's at state. You need that confidence. I think we'll win this game decisively but where we may differ is that I think we HAVE to. Otherwise i dont see us beating a very good team anywhere but at home.

And I do think fsu is good. Anyone who thinks that team is not very good is kidding themselves. They aren't unbeatable but it's going to take a really good team to walk in there and come out w/ a win.

Advertisement
The bye week is huge for two reasons:

1. Obviously a short travel week never bodes well for most teams. It's historically a fact.

2. We get some extra time to get that GT offense out of our minds. Not only are they a pain in the *** to play but preparing for the type of offense can linger, and we will be facing a completely different team next Thursday.

Yeah on paper, we should roll. But this is college football. I will take a one point victory and head home thank you very much.

TAKE THE CHECKDOWN MR. MORRIS! TAKE THE ******* CHECKDOWN!

Every game is important - UNC has always gotten up for the U, however - it looks like the stadium is not close to being sold out and there are tickets available directly and ads in Craigslist and several websites. So I'm hoping for a disappointing crowd.

Most of the local sports columnists are touting this game as critically important for the Heels - the U has folded in past years - often to the Heels. I don't see that attitude anymore - I see a team brimming with talent and leadership, with coaches they trust and teammates they want to win with. This game will be a test of their fortitude.

Pretty sure I'm heading to the game - just looking at tix right now. Thursday night games not so hot for locals so I'm hoping for a decent seat and some parking. My biggest decision is the Orange hoodie or the Green hoodie?

Advertisement

I don't know, chief. I disagree. I think we have to win this game decisively. Until we start to whip these teams we can't differentiate ourselves as a road team from the same team that was struggling with the likes of uva and I for one do not see that team coming within 2 td's at state. You need that confidence. I think we'll win this game decisively but where we may differ is that I think we HAVE to. Otherwise i dont see us beating a very good team anywhere but at home.

And I do think fsu is good. Anyone who thinks that team is not very good is kidding themselves. They aren't unbeatable but it's going to take a really good team to walk in there and come out w/ a win.

So how much do we have to beat UNC by in order to assure that we beat fsu? Is there a formula that works that way too? If we need to beat UNC badly in order to stand a chance against fsu, then how big does the margin have to be in order to assure that we beat fsu?

As to one of your other points, if you don't see a difference in this team and the one that lost to uva, then you're not watching the games.

So how much do we have to beat UNC by in order to assure that we beat fsu? Is there a formula that works that way too? If we need to beat UNC badly in order to stand a chance against fsu, then how big does the margin have to be in order to assure that we beat fsu?

As to one of your other points, if you don't see a difference in this team and the one that lost to uva, then you're not watching the games.

I just emerged from my football laboratory, having put down the beakers and extinguished the bunsen burners, and I can tell you that if we beat UNC by more than 26.3498 points we are guaranteed of victory against F$U.

I wonder if Pennmed Canefan had similar feelings about the BC game at the end of the 2001 regular season?

One thing I haven't seen talked about is that UNC and Wake are probably the first two teams on our schedule that are pass oriented teams. Up to now, Driskel was the best passing QB (wow, thats hard to believe) our Def has faced. GT's pre historic offense has probably been our defense's bigggest test overall.

I don't think these **** teams pose much of a threat. But, it wll be interesting to see how are D performs against them leading up to the noles.

Advertisement
Back