UNC Matchup

Advertisement
We've made the same mistakes in each game we've played. Untimely turnovers and penalties. We're obviously a better football team than they are, but this will be the first game we play in a "hostile" environment. And it's on a Thursday night. I'd like to believe that we can stroll in there and win by 40 but I don't think UNC is as bad as their record indicates.

We've made the same mistakes in each game we've played. Untimely turnovers and penalties. We're obviously a better football team than they are, but this will be the first game we play in a "hostile" environment. And it's on a Thursday night. I'd like to believe that we can stroll in there and win by 40 but I don't think UNC is as bad as their record indicates.

If Gino was there, are they 3-2? 4-1? 5-0? Its not unreasonable to think they handle GT, ECU, VT, and even "upset" overrated and lazy USCe.

Unless we put the ball on the ground repeatedly, I just don't know how we don't house this team.

Offensively, Fedora's a good offensive coach and they have some solid QB/WR/TE personnel, but they can't run the ball. Their entire running game got drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals. Their passing game game isn't efficient enough to consistently move the chains without the threat of a running game.

Defensively, they are REALLY struggling in the secondary. My guess is they sit back and force us to methodically move the ball down the field. They were able to get away with that strategy last year because their front kept our running game in check and we got impatient.

I don't want to get overconfident because anything can happen (especially on the road), but we are a REALLY bad matchup for them right now.

Logan Thomas has struggled this year and he put up 3 bills on them like he was Warren Moon. And ECU went into Chapel Hill and rolled up 600+ yards of offense and 55 points!

We'd really have to vomit all over ourselves not to score 35, and that should be enough.

Advertisement

If Gino was there, are they 3-2? 4-1? 5-0? Its not unreasonable to think they handle GT, ECU, VT, and even "upset" overrated and lazy USCe.

Gio was an incredible player for them and it's becoming more apparent with each blowout loss. He and Jonathan Cooper were two of the best players in the country last year.

Gio was an incredible player for them and it's becoming more apparent with each blowout loss. He and Jonathan Cooper were two of the best players in the country last year.

yeah most people don't realize how much of an impact he had on their passing game too. he made Renner look a lot better than Renner actually is imo. Gio caught nearly 90 passes the last two years out of the backfield which is crazy for a college rb. that and his run production and a down defense. That's a big play in why they aren't as good this year.

This game is going to be tough..we need to bring our "A" game and play a complete 4 qtrs. With that said, if we do that I think we blow them out of the water

but this will be the first game we play in a "hostile" environment.

Apparently their fans aren't too excited about this game, despite attempts by the school to make it their super-bowl again. Tickets are dirt cheap. The "Thursday night atmosphere" people have been expecting could end up being kind of weak.

Advertisement
Most of their fans are predicting a loss, and a pretty bad one at that.
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is why every time I go to a rivals site there's always "that guy" who regardless of the topic starts spouting off about "swag" and Miami being "bak".:ohlord:

but this will be the first game we play in a "hostile" environment.

Apparently their fans aren't too excited about this game, despite attempts by the school to make it their super-bowl again. Tickets are dirt cheap. The "Thursday night atmosphere" people have been expecting could end up being kind of weak.
Early attendance predictions say they will have 28-30k for the game. So you're right

I just want to reiterate and echo what Able was saying. This game should NOT be close or tough. Maybe for a half or into the 3rd quarter, but Miami should and will pull away. To say we play down to anyone or historically struggle in these games is so dumb. We haven't played down to anyone the last few years, we've just been a bad football team.

1) We're actually a good team this year. The last several years cannot be used against us or to try to "prove" a tendency

2) If you look at this game from a matchups standpoint, it is an absolute NIGHTMARE for UNC. They are bad at things we excel at.

How can this game be close? Turnovers. That's it.

Unless we put the ball on the ground repeatedly, I just don't know how we don't house this team.

Offensively, Fedora's a good offensive coach and they have some solid QB/WR/TE personnel, but they can't run the ball. Their entire running game got drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals. Their passing game game isn't efficient enough to consistently move the chains without the threat of a running game.

Defensively, they are REALLY struggling in the secondary. My guess is they sit back and force us to methodically move the ball down the field. They were able to get away with that strategy last year because their front kept our running game in check and we got impatient.

I don't want to get overconfident because anything can happen (especially on the road), but we are a REALLY bad matchup for them right now.

Logan Thomas has struggled this year and he put up 3 bills on them like he was Warren Moon. And ECU went into Chapel Hill and rolled up 600+ yards of offense and 55 points!

We'd really have to vomit all over ourselves not to score 35, and that should be enough.

Completely agree with all that. The only thing that might make this a game, is if we come out flat like we did against GT. That first quarter was painful to watch and reminded me of us last year, very painful. On the road we have to come out strong, coming out of a 17-7 hole at home is different than on the road.

Advertisement
Another thing: UNC is the opposite of Georgia Tech in terms of time of possession. UNC's pace means our offense will get more opportunities.

We only got something like 53 plays against GTech, turned it over 4 times, and STILL put up 550 yards of offense.

We might get 80 plays against UNC if they're not converting 3rd downs.

This game could get REALLY ugly.

Another thing: UNC is the opposite of Georgia Tech in terms of time of possession. UNC's pace means our offense will get more opportunities.

We only got something like 53 plays against GTech, turned it over 4 times, and STILL put up 550 yards of offense.

We might get 80 plays against UNC if they're not converting 3rd downs.

This game could get REALLY ugly.

Great point. I heard Miami ran 51 plays, less the turnovers that's 47 for 551 yards of offense or 11.72 yards per snap, that's gotta be a Miami record?

I think people being cautious about this game are confused.

they think they are players not fans.

Advertisement
I know nothing about UNC, but they've actually lost to 4 decent/good teams. Thursday night on the road. We'll need to bring out "A" game.

They have, but they've looked bad in those games. They were completely outclassed by an overrated South Carolina team 27-10. They blew 2 double digit leads at GT and lost by 8. They were blown out by a good, but still C-USA team in ECU, 55-31 at home, and they were beaten by VT 27-17. It was 27-10 until UNC scored a TD in the closing minutes to make it look closer. While it wasn't a complete blow out, I watched most of the game, and VT was up 14-0, 21-7 and in control for most of the game and it never seemed like UNC really threatened them.

That said, unlike 95% of the posters on here, I don't think we're going to waltz into Chapel Hill and beat them by 30.

A good ECU team? Doubt it.

Were tied at 17 against GT with 16 minutes to go in the ball game ya bunch of homers.

I am being dead honest, I think WF presents the tougher match-up. It really has nothing to do with the quality of the opponent either.

Right now, we're off and focused on getting healthy. Starting next week (Sunday), we will be 100% on UNC (if not sooner). The players remember UNC well from last year. The players know they are on national TV in the prime time slot.

After UNC, we have WF the week before we go on the road to FSU. This game, other then being an ACC opponent, holds nothing in comparison to the following week. We hardly ever play them or care about them.

WF reeks of a trap game. UNC doesn't have that same stench.

I know nothing about UNC, but they've actually lost to 4 decent/good teams. Thursday night on the road. We'll need to bring out "A" game.

They have, but they've looked bad in those games. They were completely outclassed by an overrated South Carolina team 27-10. They blew 2 double digit leads at GT and lost by 8. They were blown out by a good, but still C-USA team in ECU, 55-31 at home, and they were beaten by VT 27-17. It was 27-10 until UNC scored a TD in the closing minutes to make it look closer. While it wasn't a complete blow out, I watched most of the game, and VT was up 14-0, 21-7 and in control for most of the game and it never seemed like UNC really threatened them.

That said, unlike 95% of the posters on here, I don't think we're going to waltz into Chapel Hill and beat them by 30.

A good ECU team? Doubt it.

It is a good ECU team. What don't you understand? I didn't say great. I didn't say a team that belonged in a BCS bowl. I said good. ECU almost beat VT as well (lost 15-10). They are a solid team. Will probably win 9-10 (or more) games. That's a good team. Just because they're not a "name" team and aren't in a "name" conference, doesn't mean they can't be good too. You sound like an SEC fan.

Advertisement
Back