UM will NEVER be Great relying on the Portal

Advertisement
No I get it of course. But results are results. He saved our *** many times on special teams.

Saved? That is not what happened. Jimmy Murphy is the type of player that needed to be in the right position to make a play. Did he make the plays when he was in position? Most of the time he did. However would a more talented player have made the same plays? Absolutely. I never saw Jimmy Murphy run anybody down. You know why? Because he couldn't.

This year it looks like the portal will be a net negative in terms of talent w guys leaving. It’ll never be anything but a way augment a roster.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1. You have to develop your own Talent.

2. If you can't develop your own Talent, you have a coaching deficit.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.
Love Murphy but we become so under talented and a joke, we got a 4 foot Hobbit from the shire playing for us. In the Butch years man this kid would never be on the squad.....**** we would play a team with a kid like that and Sean Taylor would make him quit with one hit. Sad af we become a good story U or portal U......fans celebrating the portal are the problem man. If u recruit at an elite level u don't need the fuqin portal.....getting all portal kids says u missed evals and u want to replace a kid.....or fact is it's easier to recruit the portal so the more we intake it just means these ****ers are lazy on the trail and rather use the portal.

Saved? That is not what happened. Jimmy Murphy is the type of player that needed to be in the right position to make a play. Did he make the plays when he was in position? Most of the time he did. However would a more talented player have made the same plays? Absolutely. I never saw Jimmy Murphy run anybody down. You know why? Because he couldn't.
Look. I’m not going to debate Jimmy ***king Murphy with you. Good grief.

The portal may not be the answer but there is plenty of quality guys that end up in it and sprinkling in a few portal guys with a couple years under their belt can only help.

Advertisement
There's no question that the way to build an elite team is primarily through recruiting great players out of HS, developing those players to their optimum potential and establishing a culture & work ethic that's unique to Miami.

However, when you have gaping holes on your roster it would be insane not to try & plug those through the Portal. OL is a prime example. If we can bring in a minimum of 2-3 quality upperclassmen on OL through the Portal, that could improve our OL play dramatically next year. Same thing with Kicker (which was a huge mistake last year not to add another one -- we could have added an average Kicker last year & won 2-3 more games). Likewise, if a Burrow or Fields were available in the Portal you would take him all day long. We could also use a talented & stable Senior WR. Osborn added a lot as a PR, receiver and senior leader. The WR needed a great senior leader & he was it.

I do think that over-reliance on the Portal can: (1) lead to resentment from guys currently on the roster/team chemistry issues, (2) result in adding some JAGs, (3) dilute the culture you're trying to establish, and (4) potentially lead to laziness in recruiting.

However, if I were Manny I would still be all over the Portal this offseason. We simply have way too many holes to plug and lack experience in key spots (like OT). If we recruit better next year & the year after, then we should wean ourselves of the Portal.

You don't rely on the portal......you use it to fill holes like most teams in the country...UGA, LSU, OSU and OU made playoffs and conference championships using the portal....it's almost the same as adding JUCOs to solidify depth.....Miami coaches don't recruit JUCO players well so I don't see a problem with hitting the portal...

Advertisement
If the rest of the team cared as much as Jimmy Murphy we would have been playing Clemson that’s for sure

I agree we shouldn’t rely on the portal but with the way kids jump immediately its going to be interesting

Also, IF the rest of the team had Jimmy Murphy's talent we'd be a lot worse off than we already are :unsure:

Cant take one without the other.

Your point is valid, but LSU, OSU, and Oklahoma have gone pretty far with transfer QBs.

Selectively taking a player or two is different than relying on the portal because you can't recruit.

All were good programs before the transfers...

Advertisement
Back