UM will NEVER be Great relying on the Portal

Advertisement
UM has been just awful at roster management for 17 years.

The portal isn’t a plan it’s a reaction to problems.

We should recruit jucos much harder, and seek grad transfers and PWO aggressively. Regularly non-grad transfers should be a very selective matter.

We need to balance our roster, which means thinking about who we tale and what mix of types of kids. U;timate;y, we need a culture and roster where PT is fought over and kids don’t bail after a year or two. DvD and Maxey got their turns at UM after several years of learning and developing. 4th and 5th year players are worth a lot in terms of ‘talent.’
Agreed. The only caveat being that recent JUCO talent hasn't been good. A lot of these 3* and 4* guys go JUCO and frankly, it becomes obvious how overrated they really were. Still, we need to be evaluating and offering the best at the JUCO level.

Agree teams can’t be great depending on portal players. Also, we are nowhere near great and I have no issue with how it has been used. Get it how you live. Once a talented, deep roster is established, portal use would change.
Yep, 6-7 can't be choosy. If you see an upgrade, take a shot.

I feel like last year was different, I doubt we take 7 this year. We got 7 guys from the portal last season. 3 of them had 3 years to play all no brainers takes. The other 4 we're grad transfers in KJ, Hll, Kennedy and Nnoruka all positions that lacked depth. I don't see how any of those 4 stunted any growth from younger guys.

Advertisement
Excessive Bumping
1. You have to develop your own Talent.

2. If you can't develop your own Talent, you have a coaching deficit.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.
TTT

Interesting bump.

I'll say that the portal caused problem but the bigger one was reducing the number of HS kids we could sign. With the NCAA looking to change the rules, bring us more/moar portal kids.

Advertisement
Back