UM will NEVER be Great relying on the Portal

SonnyLong

Banned
Banned
1. You have to develop your own Talent.

2. If you can't develop your own Talent, you have a coaching deficit.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.

Advertisement
1. You have to develop your own Talent.

2. If you can't develop your own Talent, you have a coaching deficit.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.
[/QUOTE]
I can't disagree with anything you said, especially your comments on the poor coaching staff and their inability to teach/develop the players. They don't even know which are the best players that should be playing (Patchan over Rousseau and Burns over Lingard). While I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a 2-3 portal guys a season, anything more than that is an indictment of your inability to recruit impact players and coach them up.

Sony - I also think you bring up an interesting point about relying too heavily on the portal. Its a new concept so teams and programs will have to adapt to it and learn how to make it benefit their own program.

When I was at Fresno State back in the mid-80's, the head football coach Jim Sweeney used to talk about how it was easier for him to recruit JuCo kids to Fresno State than it was HS kids. He also used to talk about not relying too heavily on JuCo kids and talked about how its critical to develop your own talent.

Good thread, Sony. Thanks.

Advertisement
Sony - Im with you on all of that except for the Jimmy Murphy part. That kid looked like the highest effort kid on the field every time I saw him out there, regardless of team. I had no problem with him getting reps on special teams or a cheap TD in a blowout.
If the rest of the team cared as much as Jimmy Murphy we would have been playing Clemson that’s for sure

I agree we shouldn’t rely on the portal but with the way kids jump immediately its going to be interesting

Sony - Im with you on all of that except for the Jimmy Murphy part. That kid looked like the highest effort kid on the field every time I saw him out there, regardless of team. I had no problem with him getting reps on special teams or a cheap TD in a blowout.

HIGH EFFORT and talent are not always in concert. Like I said, Jimmy was heart and Hustle but he was a very mediocre Talent. Great programs do not reward heart and hustle ONLY Those reps should have been given to a player that had the likelihood of really benefiting the program. Like lingard. And I am not saying that lingard would have been a great running back. But we all know he was a physical talent and he may have been a special team Beast for us until he was ready to become a good running back or any other position.

If the rest of the team cared as much as Jimmy Murphy we would have been playing Clemson that’s for sure

I agree we shouldn’t rely on the portal but with the way kids jump immediately its going to be interesting

You have to understand that is easy for a player like Jimmy Murphy to be heart and hustle. One, he knows that he shouldn't be there so he has to be HIGH EFFORT to prove that he belongs.

Advertisement
UM has been just awful at roster management for 17 years.

The portal isn’t a plan it’s a reaction to problems.

We should recruit jucos much harder, and seek grad transfers and PWO aggressively. Regularly non-grad transfers should be a very selective matter.

We need to balance our roster, which means thinking about who we tale and what mix of types of kids. U;timate;y, we need a culture and roster where PT is fought over and kids don’t bail after a year or two. DvD and Maxey got their turns at UM after several years of learning and developing. 4th and 5th year players are worth a lot in terms of ‘talent.’

3 out of the 4 starting QBs in the playoffs came from the portal. Sometimes it's necessary.

Those are programs that develop their own talent and used the portal to SUPPLEMENT their squad. That's sort of what OP's point is, I believe.

And I also think QB is a different animal than any other position in this regard. Like Vampires...There can only be one! The others end up in the portal.

Advertisement
Those are programs that develop their own talent and used the portal to SUPPLEMENT their squad. That's sort of what OP's point is, I believe.

And I also think QB is a different animal than any other position in this regard. Like Vampires...There can only be one! The others end up in the portal.

They were already good programs.

Advertisement
I find this very interesting:

Manny brought in transfer/portal players for every defensive position EXCEPT LINEBACKER.

Why? Based on his poor recruiting, we definitely needed the depth.

In my opinion, Manny was so infatuated with Shaq and Pinckney that he did not want to create competition for them.

You have to understand that is easy for a player like Jimmy Murphy to be heart and hustle. One, he knows that he shouldn't be there so he has to be HIGH EFFORT to prove that he belongs.
No I get it of course. But results are results. He saved our *** many times on special teams.

Advertisement
Back