UM will NEVER be Great relying on the Portal

It’s a great tool to help fill holes in your roster. No one, including us, is building a team through it.

Advertisement
Joe burrow, jalen hurts, justin fields, Baker Mayfield, Russell Wilson. Miami is just trash at the portal. We cant identify talent

Advertisement
Aside from a couple of guys- KJ Osborne, Trevon Hill and the OL disaster - Manny hasn’t looked to fill up the roster with 1 and done guys who take anything away from younger players and their development. I think it’s hard to argue that KJ and Trevon Hill were anything but a positive last season.

Bolden was solid in the short time he got to play and he will definitely be a big factor going forward. Let’s see what happens with Phillips; I'm pretty optimistic for him personally.

Like someone else said, the portal hasnt been used to build a team. Your argument on walk Ons is another whole issue.

E5FBF358-DC53-4B0B-90C3-5A215657A162.jpeg

Sony - Im with you on all of that except for the Jimmy Murphy part. That kid looked like the highest effort kid on the field every time I saw him out there, regardless of team. I had no problem with him getting reps on special teams or a cheap TD in a blowout.
Would Lingard have shown that kind of hustle and effort? Why is it now said that he didn't learn the playbook?

Your memory is short. LSU was never a bad program. Sure, they weren't winning national championships. But they weren't Miami.
I was in the stands in Baton Rouge when we beat LSU 48-3. Or something like that. They were coached that year by former Miami player and assistant Mike Archer. So, if not bad, they were mediocre that year.

Advertisement
1. You have to develop your own Talent.

2. If you can't develop your own Talent, you have a coaching deficit.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.
Agree with you overall, but Murph, while lacking in talent, was amongst the hardest workers on the team. Tough to pick on him. Also, not saying Stubbs was good or bad, but I encourage you to dig a little deeper into his background. I don't believe coaching for a short period at Air Force tells the true story. He's a decent coach. Now as a Crooter, he may be somewhat lacking, but I'm really not sure. Point being, Stubbs got Enos-ed. Stubbs himself is probably a bit better than he gets credit for.

Sony - Im with you on all of that except for the Jimmy Murphy part. That kid looked like the highest effort kid on the field every time I saw him out there, regardless of team. I had no problem with him getting reps on special teams or a cheap TD in a blowout.

I agree...Murph Dawg may not have had the talent to play RB, but He was a standout ST player with a nose for the ball & heart.

I felt the opposite as far as Murphy goes. I was disgusted at how much harder he worked than some guys with more god given ability. Good for him getting touches. To me, it reflects more poorly on that talent than a coach seeing someone treat it like it’s their entire world and rewarding him for work put in.

Advertisement
Portal seemed to work out well for uf getting big time contributions from Jonathan greenard, van jefferson, trevon Grimes etc. sometimes it’s necessary and every team uses the portal. It absolutely was necessary when you finished the way Miami did in recruiting missing on everyone at the early signing period In the 2019 class. Get with the times or fall behind

I disagree with it hindering development in younger player. I would be willing to bet that if we didn’t have so many underclassmen leaving for the nfl to be undrafted free agents we wouldn’t need the older depth. If your junior leaders are leaving you need a mature guy in the room, not the blind leading the blind. If they aren’t as good of transfers as you thought they won’t get on the field “Tate Martell” if they are good leaders and players they are going to play. How many players on the team says KJ raised their work ethic to a new level. BTW Baker, Kyler, Hurts, Fields and Burrow all say hi. Yeah yeah they are QB and they went to a good team. They did exactly that, went to a good team and made them a great team. Past 3 heisman winners were transfers. The best players will play, don’t forget the majority of development for a player happens in the weight room and practice where older guys can show them a standard at this level. I’m not saying to take a transfer over a high school kid but if you have players going to the transfer portal then you might need to take a couple out of the portal to balance you class size and get the numbers you need. Signing a huge freshman class is a problem in its own.

Advertisement
I was in the stands in Baton Rouge when we beat LSU 48-3. Or something like that. They were coached that year by former Miami player and assistant Mike Archer. So, if not bad, they were mediocre that year.

Actually LSU was ranked 11 at the time and won the SEC that year 1988. We were just that good

He wasn’t taking effort. He was talking talent

Advertisement
Back