UM will NEVER be Great relying on the Portal

Advertisement
I felt the opposite as far as Murphy goes. I was disgusted at how much harder he worked than some guys with more god given ability. Good for him getting touches. To me, it reflects more poorly on that talent than a coach seeing someone treat it like it’s their entire world and rewarding him for work put in.
I agree. If the guys Murphy played in front of had worked as hard as he did, he would never have seen the field.

1. You have to develop your own Talent.

2. If you can't develop your own Talent, you have a coaching deficit.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.
Did you read my arguement on the recruiting board yesterday? I was state these same points and was called a gaytor fan for bringing up lingard 😂🤣

All this negativity about Jimmy Murphy is laughable. Sure, he didn't have anywhere near the talent as our "talented" players. But he played to win and gave it his all. What did our "talented" guys do? They folded like pussies. For all their talent, in the final analysis, their hearts pumped ****. If they played with half the heart of a Jimmy, we'd have won at least five more games.

Advertisement
Osborn was easily our best WR this year.

And he brought a winning air about him, was Team Captain for the Gator Game, his first as a Cane. The guy had to come in here and even show our seniors what leadership was. The writing was on the wall.

He had a better season with 50 catches than JT4's three seasons averaging 28 (Highest 35).

That showed the state of the program and culture when a portal guy came in and immediately became a team leader.

No, we will never be great with the portal, but given the recruiting woes, we **** sure need it short term to fill swiss-cheese like holes.

can't go through 4 pages but part of the reason we have to rely in the portal is the mentality of our guys that leave early. we have too many guys that could be helping us who leave early. used to be if you got a 1st or 2nd round grade you didn't leave. now you have guys that aren't getting drafted leaving early. its killing this program.

Sorry OP Miami will NEVER be great again. We are what we are and we are a lower tier costal team. This university does not care about football program so it will never get fixed.

Advertisement
KJ Osborn forced Hightower/Njoku out.
Bubba Bolden made Derrick Smith transfer.
Nnoruka should not have taken snaps from Jordan Miller.
Hill was productive but clearly a mercenary.
Martell was nothing but a distraction.
Kennedy was an embarrassing bust.
Phillips sat out the whole season.

Agree with the OP:

Get the talent here first and foremost.
Keep them here and develop them.

Jimmy Murphy came off like a preplanned stunt to me like Manny wanted him to get attention for doing dumb *** back flips the same way he wanted Jalar Holley dancing in front of the cameras on the sidelines both looking like clowns

Facts. That clown was dancing while we were getting our asses kicked.

Manny saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. Therefore he gave that kid an opportunity at the expense of players that will actually help the program in the future

Facts. That clown was dancing while we were getting our asses kicked.

Manny saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. Therefore he gave that kid an opportunity at the expense of players that will actually help the program in the future
you can't be serious about jimmy murphy. that kid was more rudy that the real rudy. explain to me how a walk on is always the first man down on special teams making the tackle. if our 4* guys had as much heart as jimmy murphy we would be beating FIU and La tech. and he isn't taking a roster spot. we aren't even at the limit and the guys getting the opportunities are leaving the program prematurely which leaves open slots.

Advertisement
KJ Osborn forced Hightower/Njoku out.
Bubba Bolden made Derrick Smith transfer.
Nnoruka should not have taken snaps from Jordan Miller.
Hill was productive but clearly a mercenary.
Martell was nothing but a distraction.
Kennedy was an embarrassing bust.
Phillips sat out the whole season

Agree with the OP:

Get the talent here first and foremost.
Keep them here and develop them.

Those guys weren’t forced out. They were beat out.

They chose to leave.

Advertisement
HIGH EFFORT and talent are not always in concert. Like I said, Jimmy was heart and Hustle but he was a very mediocre Talent. Great programs do not reward heart and hustle ONLY Those reps should have been given to a player that had the likelihood of really benefiting the program. Like lingard. And I am not saying that lingard would have been a great running back. But we all know he was a physical talent and he may have been a special team Beast for us until he was ready to become a good running back or any other position.
Yet somehow for being slow and a mediocre talent, Jimmy Murphy was ALWAYS the first guy down field on punt coverage.

And as someone said, If our more talented players played with half the intensity he does, we would have played Clemson

3 out of the 4 playoff teams had a TRANSFER QB

The most important position on the field and they transferred in.

OP is an idiot

While I agree with the main point OP is trying to make (teams need to coach up talent and not rely on transfers to be great) we weren't any good prior to the portal either

Not hiring a competent coach all these years is what has put us back, not the portal

Advertisement
Back