UM will NEVER be Great relying on the Portal

HIGH EFFORT and talent are not always in concert. Like I said, Jimmy was heart and Hustle but he was a very mediocre Talent. Great programs do not reward heart and hustle ONLY Those reps should have been given to a player that had the likelihood of really benefiting the program. Like lingard. And I am not saying that lingard would have been a great running back. But we all know he was a physical talent and he may have been a special team Beast for us until he was ready to become a good running back or any other position.
Your comparison is not valid.
Lingard was not heathy, and took himself out of consideration many times in order to "rehab fully".
Murphy was hustling with limited talent out there, trying his damndest to win and motivate on the field. Great talent without heart is similar to NO talent at all.
We do NOT know if Lingard would have been a beast, because he showed none of the drive, and push to be a dawg out there in his play or actions, however limited they were..
Speculation on your part in your last two sentences for Lingard.
Murphy was proof of limited talent hustle, before our eyes in games..

Advertisement
Your comparison is not valid.
Lingard was not heathy, and took himself out of consideration many times in order to "rehab fully".
Murphy was hustling with limited talent out there, trying his damndest to win and motivate on the field. Great talent without heart is similar to NO talent at all.
We do NOT know if Lingard would have been a beast, because he showed none of the drive, and push to be a dawg out there in his play or actions, however limited they were..
Speculation on your part in your last two sentences for Lingard.
Murphy was proof of limited talent hustle, before our eyes in games..
exactly. murphy wasn't taking reps from anyone. he earned the five carries (yes thats right five) he got.

Last edited:
Facts. That clown was dancing while we were getting our asses kicked.

Manny saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. Therefore he gave that kid an opportunity at the expense of players that will actually help the program in the future
Bullshyt! If those players with more talent had shown what Jimmy showed maybe they would have seen the field.

1. You have to develop your own Talent.

2. If you can't develop your own Talent, you have a coaching deficit.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.
Great post dude. Seriously. I am against bringing in a “Portal Guy” to fill a need. Especially a QB if we have a good one coming. If it’s an IMMEDIATE impact/all American maybe

That’s like bringing in a chick to give bl** J*** until your wife is ready to go or learns how. You should have never recruited that chick in the 1st place

Advertisement
Great post dude. Seriously. I am against bringing in a “Portal Guy” to fill a need. Especially a QB if we have a good one coming. If it’s an IMMEDIATE impact/all American maybe

That’s like bringing in a chick to give bl** J*** until your wife is ready to go or learns how. You should have never recruited that chick in the 1st place
One too many *'s there jm. Good post and great analogy.

You can use the portal to maybe shore up a position or even grab you a player for a 1 year rental, however you still need to be able to recruit that position as well. Lincoln Riley got Jalen Hurts from the portal for the 2019 season, but also was able to land Spencer Rattler as incoming 2019 recruit. For 2020 OU likely will not be looking for a QB in the portal because they also signed a 4 star guy in the 2020 cycle.

Miami right now seems to be relying on the portal to shore up its needs on the OLine, WR and CB because they have not been able sustain depth / talent at that position. In the past Miami had to rely on the transfer market for help at DT because there was need as there was no depth there. Miami shored up its DT depth and likely is not on the hunt for that position.

Recruit better and add quality depth and the reliance on the portal becomes less and less. It would become more of a luxury vs. a necessity.
Getting portal edge rushers for Miami in 2020 is a luxury.
Getting OLinemen for Miami is 2020 is a need

Yes we took guys like Osborne and Hill. But the other guys we took were legit stars in Highschool with 3 years of eligibility. Jaelen Phillip's if he is cleared medically will start next 2 years. Martell could start next 2 year. the Tommy kid from Butler didnt hamper anyone. Nor did Chiezeke(sp?). Portal provided depth and then potential longer term players that needed a new scenery.

This year we need Borregales bro and OL,

Advertisement
It should only be used as a tool to help roster and recruiting deficiencies.

3. The good progams do not rely on the Portal. Sure, they may take one or so. However, the portal is not the reason why they are a good program. We have taken portal players for four consecutive seasons and we haven't achieved anything.

4. Portal players, especially 1-year players, inhibit the development of recruited players. For example, say what you want about KJ Osborn, but he dropped a lot of passes...in fact, he lead the team. He was an ordinary talent. He took playing time away from guys that will truly benefit the program, if properly developed.

Our coaching staff is very mediocre. It's filled with poor teachers and guys that were graduate assistants/highschool coaches/etc. who are cutting their teeth as position coaches at the University of Miami. Insane. In four years, we have not seen our cornerbacks consistently turn their heads. In four years, our linebacker play has been mediocre. They simply disappear in games. Say what you want about Shaq quarterman, but he was an ordinary Talent. Some of that is based on his individual Talent level. A good portion of it is based on the coaching that he received. I would take Colin McCarthy over Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinkney any day. North Carolina's quarterback turned linebacker jumped off the screen more than Shaq and Pinckney.

A class of 22 5 Stars would not help Manny. Reason? He doesn't have the coaching staff. I don't care what the end of the year rankings say. I trust my eyes.

For example:

Why should our wide receivers perform really well? Who is coaching them? Stubblefield. Who has he coached? Where did he come from? Air Force. They run a triple-option. Why was he hired?

The same can be said about cornerback, linebacker, safety and tight end.... and most importantly special teams. Baxa actually has a very strong leg. His aim is off. Therefore, his technique is off. Who is coaching him? Patke. Who has he coached? Was he a kicker? Why is he the special teams coach?

Jimmy Murphy? Nothing against the kid, but It really disgusted me to see him play. Why? Because I know he was playing over guys that were more talented than he was. Players that would have benefited from those special teams reps. Sure, he was heart and hustle. However 22 Jimmy Murphys will get you 0-12. Why was Jimmy Murphy playing? Why did Jimmy Murphy get carries over Lorenzo lingard? Why was Jimmy Murphy force-fed a touchdown...and Lingard was not? Maybe Manny Diaz saw himself in Jimmy Murphy. You don't win big games with that attitude.

You're assuming we're using the portal as an alternative to recruiting high school players. We're not. We're raiding it out of necessity. Say what you want about Manny but I'm pretty sure he'd prefer to have enough depth and talent on the roster already. As for *****ing about Jimmy's garbage TD, you're really splitting hairs there. I don't think Lingard was even cleared for contact at that point.

Grad Transfers QB are different. Nothing wrong with the portal it's like free agency. For instance on the OLine we might just not have the talent necessary to succeed. I would be perfectly fine with hitting the portal for Olineman

OP is correct. It's funny reading through 5 pages and the people who disagree say the same thing, "well these other schools got transfer QBs". QB is a different animal, if a school has a great one, guys behind him aren't sitting and waiting. Hurts, Fields and Burrow were all behind NFL level talents so he left for a chance to play. They weren't at lower level schools like the guys we are bringing in and celebrating. They weren't kicked off their team or buried behind average talent like guys we are getting and celebrating.

Advertisement
If you have a need at any position and the portal can fill the need, then use the portal to your advantage.

There are all kinds of things that contribute to winning big. Never ignore something that can help you. The top teams didn't get there by ignoring details.

Utilizing the portal correctly is merely taking advantage of a market inefficiency. In a world in which "Recruiting" has become a joke, and teams are able to stack talent in ways unimagined 10-15 years ago, getting some guys on the rebound can be an advantage for a school like Miami.

The Portal shouldn't be the end all be all, but it should be a part of the program building conversation. Getting talented kids that may need a change of pace, a new scene in order to develop is something to be embraced, not feared. Getting talent in the door is what this is about, and it doesn't matter how that happens. Whether you are able to get it the traditional way, or through other means, get the material you need in order to win. Bill Snyder is the perfect example of a coach that understood that undervalued assets is great for a program that may be struggling. Kansas State wasn't going to sign top end athletes, due to their location and history. However, Snyder saw the talent at JUCO programs, and decided to build around that. He was the first coach to really hit the circuit hard. It worked.

Manny isn't nearly the coach Snyder was, but he has shown the ability to identify things that may help the program.

Advertisement

For example:

And that’s why we may see the same results in 2020! Spot on my Cane brother!!

Agree teams can’t be great depending on portal players. Also, we are nowhere near great and I have no issue with how it has been used. Get it how you live. Once a talented, deep roster is established, portal use would change.

Advertisement
Back