Three position switches I'd like to see

Advertisement
Our new DB coach is a huge fan of Ivey and thinks he can be an SEC-caliber corner. His issue is confidence. Our outgoing coaches also thought Ivey was our best corner.

It's now or never for him.

:ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg::eek:hholky****::roll-canes2::6e482c-o::ibis-roflmao-sm3::ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Advertisement
It's not just getting kids on the bus. It's getting them on the right seats of the bus. Here are some moves I'd like to see in spring:

Jalen Harrell to Striker- It's a waste of time to try him at corner. He's not fast enough. Move him to striker and allow him to gain weight. His frame can carry 210+. Best case, you have a tough big guy with man-coverage skills.

Keontra Smith to LB- We need our fastest and most physical players on the field. Striker is about to get crowded with young guys. By comparison, linebacker has no juice. Jennings is G5, Steed and Brooks have injury issues, Huff lacks awareness, Cave is raw and Troutman is small. Smith played plenty of LB in high school and can get to 220 without issue.

Mark Pope to CB- I'm not saying Pope will be a good corner. But I know he's cooked at WR. Rambo is about to take his spot and the young guys need to play. All he's doing is wasting time and stealing reps. At CB, he's at least a 6'0+ athlete with quickness and 10.53 speed. Maybe the desperation brings out the physicality in him like it did for Sam Shields.
Pope practiced at cb leading up to the gator game , he was the emergency cb.

Advertisement
Yeah I'm aware & have heard it every offseason, but I'm not buying it.

He's awful & idc what anyone says.

His issues are not just confidence based, it's physical limitations & lack of technique at Boundary that has done him in. He simply doesn't have it.

The same way people are 100% sure Pope is finished at WR, I'm 10,000% certain Ivey will remain the worst cover corner on the team & will continue to be the most targeted every time OC's/QB's see him on the field.
You gotta admit..DJ Ivey looks the part of a big time corner in shirts and shorts. Any DB Coach who takes a look at him has to think to themselves, "I'll be the one to make this kid a star! Hes got it all!" You have said many times that speed isnt everything at corner. If T-Rob can MAYBE teach him technique and build his confidence...............never know.

That said, If T-Rob can turn Ivey around, he is alot better of a coach than I thought.

Advertisement
If he does good for him. He can be like a Cager success story, I'm not holding out any hope for him here though.
Bro I said the same thing about Cager too. Everybody said he sucked but it was the way we used him . Same with Pope. He should be in the slot period. Hands can be fixed period.

Advertisement
I doubt Pope gets switched, but it's entirely possible he (and others) get passed up on the depth chart in the spring and transfers.

Wouldn't move frierson has done a good job there.as for curtis if he is good enough to see the field in his first year at cb id leave him on defense if not then maybe sprinkle him in on some offense to use his speed

Frierson has done a good job at striker but I believe he’d be even better at safety. Jaquan Johnson was a great striker but still moved to safety.

The striker position shouldn’t be a permanent position imo unless you don’t have NFL talent, bc there is no benefit in terms of the draft playing striker for 4 years in a row.

If he does good for him. He can be like a Cager success story, I'm not holding out any hope for him here though.
Huh? Success story? Dude had 12 more catches, 100 more yards (still less than 500 yds total), and 2 less tds at GA his senior year than JR year at UM. Like I like Cager but I would not call him transferring out a success, he could have done those numbers his senior year here then went undrafted, bounced on and off the practice squad for the Jets of all teams.

This is an interesting take, especially Harrell at STR immediately after its announced he's moving to CB.

Pope to CB is VERY interesting although I don't think it will happen unless someone can convince him that he can be turned into an elite CB and it become his true money position. IMO Pope opts to go down with the ship, and that's not in a bad way, because I happen to believe that Pope will take another step forward this season and get solid playing time this season at WR (can't say the same about Wiggins).

I'd like to see Amari at LB before Keontra.

Advertisement
Back