Three position switches I'd like to see

Advertisement
It's not just getting kids on the bus. It's getting them on the right seats of the bus. Here are some moves I'd like to see in spring:

Jalen Harrell to Striker- It's a waste of time to try him at corner. He's not fast enough. Move him to striker and allow him to gain weight. His frame can carry 210+. Best case, you have a tough big guy with man-coverage skills.

Keontra Smith to LB- We need our fastest and most physical players on the field. Striker is about to get crowded with young guys. By comparison, linebacker has no juice. Jennings is G5, Steed and Brooks have injury issues, Huff lacks awareness, Cave is raw and Troutman is small. Smith played plenty of LB in high school and can get to 220 without issue.

Mark Pope to CB- I'm not saying Pope will be a good corner. But I know he's cooked at WR. Rambo is about to take his spot and the young guys need to play. All he's doing is wasting time and stealing reps. At CB, he's at least a 6'0+ athlete with quickness and 10.53 speed. Maybe the desperation brings out the physicality in him like it did for Sam Shields.

What about Dee Wiggins, where do you see him?

Go Canes

Probably not. But I know for sure he can’t play WR.

Let him at least try to play a position where he has the physical traits. Sam Shields didn’t play tough at WR, either.

I'll still take him at WR over Wiggins, but I hear what you are saying and neither should be starting at UM. Sometimes in that case it's just better to cut bait then wasting time/energy/reps trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This may be that time.

Even if he can overcome his lack of physicality, you still want CBs to be hyper-confident guys with short memories. I do not think Pope is that guy.

I'll still take him at WR over Wiggins, but I hear what you are saying and neither should be starting at UM. Sometimes in that case it's just better to cut bait then wasting time/energy/reps trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This may be that time.

Even if he can overcome his lack of physicality, you still want CBs to be hyper-confident guys with short memories. I do not think Pope is that guy.
@DMoney Besides his hands and confidence what else is he lacking ? He is fast, quick, runs good routes. I think he can be fixed. Wiggins I agree what yall saying tho.

Advertisement
I'm not saying it's wrong - but this fascinates me.

Pope is listed at 6-1 on the roster. He measured at 6 foot in each event he was at in high school.

But I see over and over people insisting he's nowhere near 6 foot.
He looks about 5'9 out there. Maybe it's just bc he plays that way.

It's not just getting kids on the bus. It's getting them on the right seats of the bus. Here are some moves I'd like to see in spring:

Jalen Harrell to Striker- It's a waste of time to try him at corner. He's not fast enough. Move him to striker and allow him to gain weight. His frame can carry 210+. Best case, you have a tough big guy with man-coverage skills.

Keontra Smith to LB- We need our fastest and most physical players on the field. Striker is about to get crowded with young guys. By comparison, linebacker has no juice. Jennings is G5, Steed and Brooks have injury issues, Huff lacks awareness, Cave is raw and Troutman is small. Smith played plenty of LB in high school and can get to 220 without issue.

Mark Pope to CB- I'm not saying Pope will be a good corner. But I know he's cooked at WR. Rambo is about to take his spot and the young guys need to play. All he's doing is wasting time and stealing reps. At CB, he's at least a 6'0+ athlete with quickness and 10.53 speed. Maybe the desperation brings out the physicality in him like it did for Sam Shields.
Pope is already the top cb in the country. Just last season I believe he batted down the most balls in the country. I have to check the pff. And he turns his head while he does it

Advertisement
Jalen Harrell - Striker
DJ Ivey - Striker
Jeremiah Payton - SS
Quentin Williams - back to SDE
DJ Scaife - Center
Jakai Clark - Center
James Williams - LB/Hybrid
Chase Smith - WR
Dee Wiggins - Transfer
Zach McCloud - Permanent Bench towel waver
BJ Jennings - Goaline LB only
Amari Carter - ILB (I know that sounds crazy but I can't think of any other spot for him lol)
Daz Worsham - H-back TE or transfer
Kai-Leon Herbert - Transfer
Za'Lontae Hillery - Transfer

Jalen Harrell - Striker
DJ Ivey - Striker
Jeremiah Payton - SS
Quentin Williams - back to SDE
DJ Scaife - Center
Jakai Clark - Center
James Williams - LB/Hybrid
Chase Smith - WR
Dee Wiggins - Transfer
Zach McCloud - Permanent Bench towel waver
BJ Jennings - Goaline LB only
Amari Carter - ILB (I know that sounds crazy but I can't think of any other spot for him lol)
Daz Worsham - H-back TE or transfer
Kai-Leon Herbert - Transfer
Za'Lontae Hillery - Transfer
Daz Worsham to H-back TE? Lol

Advertisement

I can agree with Harrell to Striker, but would add Keshawn Washington and Amari Carter. Goal should be to get better and faster players that can tackle. Don't waste talent at a position they can't excel or compete with existing or incoming talent.

Keontra Smith to LB I'm for too. I rather have fast LB'ers that can get there that bigger slower ones that can't. Plus Keontra willing to tackle. I would even add Carter to the LB crew. He could easily carry 10-15 additional pounds. Plus that'll give him a better chance of making a pro roster.

I only agree to Pope because of the Sam Shields analogy. Reality is Pope can't seperate or catch. He does have quick feet, good CB height, good hips and flexibility. Since a CB responsibility is primarily coverage, if he dedicates himself then CB is his best option. I've seen plenty of CB's and most are not big dudes. If he wants a shot at the NFL, this may be it.

Our new DB coach is a huge fan of Ivey and thinks he can be an SEC-caliber corner. His issue is confidence. Our outgoing coaches also thought Ivey was our best corner.

It's now or never for him.
1615481330099.png

Malik Curtis -> WR
Xavier Restrepo -> CB
Jeremiah Payton or Michael Redding -> CB
Keontra Smith -> LB
Amari Carter -> LB
Thomas Davis -> LB
Jalen Harrell -> Striker
Gurvan Hall -> Striker
Gilbert Frierson -> FS
DJ Scaife -> Center
Wouldn't move frierson has done a good job there.as for curtis if he is good enough to see the field in his first year at cb id leave him on defense if not then maybe sprinkle him in on some offense to use his speed

Advertisement

But then he'd never get a chance to wear the Turnover Chain, because he would drop every pick.

Our new DB coach is a huge fan of Ivey and thinks he can be an SEC-caliber corner. His issue is confidence. Our outgoing coaches also thought Ivey was our best corner.

It's now or never for him.
Yeah I'm aware & have heard it every offseason, but I'm not buying it.

He's awful & idc what anyone says.

His issues are not just confidence based, it's physical limitations & lack of technique at Boundary that has done him in. He simply doesn't have it.

The same way people are 100% sure Pope is finished at WR, I'm 10,000% certain Ivey will remain the worst cover corner on the team & will continue to be the most targeted every time OC's/QB's see him on the field.

Advertisement
Back