Three position switches I'd like to see

He was plenty candid about other players.

People focus on Ivey because his bad plays stand out. It’s frustrating to see him in perfect position and fail to find the ball. But they ignore all the games where he erases his man. The reason Blades got benched instead of Ivey is because Blades got picked on.

If that's info you got personally ill have to take your word for it. I'd never ask you to share information like that about our guys.

If that's common knowledge please direct me to the thread/article where he breaks down the other guys. I'd like to read it.

Advertisement
He was plenty candid about other players.

People focus on Ivey because his bad plays stand out. It’s frustrating to see him in perfect position and fail to find the ball. But they ignore all the games where he erases his man. The reason Blades got benched instead of Ivey is because Blades got picked on.

I hate stats like this, it doesn’t show the full the picture. So according to this you think Ivey is as good a corner as Asante?

It's not just getting kids on the bus. It's getting them on the right seats of the bus. Here are some moves I'd like to see in spring:

Jalen Harrell to Striker- It's a waste of time to try him at corner. He's not fast enough. Move him to striker and allow him to gain weight. His frame can carry 210+. Best case, you have a tough big guy with man-coverage skills.

Keontra Smith to LB- We need our fastest and most physical players on the field. Striker is about to get crowded with young guys. By comparison, linebacker has no juice. Jennings is G5, Steed and Brooks have injury issues, Huff lacks awareness, Cave is raw and Troutman is small. Smith played plenty of LB in high school and can get to 220 without issue.

Mark Pope to CB- I'm not saying Pope will be a good corner. But I know he's cooked at WR. Rambo is about to take his spot and the young guys need to play. All he's doing is wasting time and stealing reps. At CB, he's at least a 6'0+ athlete with quickness and 10.53 speed. Maybe the desperation brings out the physicality in him like it did for Sam Shields.
Shields could make the move because he was a very good special teams player. And Pope? As our current President loves to say, "Come on, man."

Anytime I’ve said that speed isn’t the only thing that matters at corner I ALWAYS also mention that technique & physicality & football IQ are equally as important, Ivey has none.

And no he does’t look like a big time corner in shirts & shorts, or in pads, or in any setting.

IDGAF what any human on Earth says, he’s a terrible CB & there is no coach alive or dead that can make him better.

Do not under any circumstances whatsoever even attempt to change my mind or try to get me to give him another chance, yall can fall for it if you like lol, but don’t even waste your breath with me...

I’m 1,000,000% against Ivey doing anything other than playing Special teams, if he starts this season Ima sit back with arms folded shaking my head as yall pull your hair out watching him get honey roasted week in & week out by any WR that can run a 9 yd route. Yall are glutton for punishment, just don’t say I didn’t warn you when he’s given up TD’s vs Bama, App ST, Mich St & UNC.

For the record, I want to see TS and AB2 start and Couch be the nickel guy. Let Clarke, Denson and Ivey fight for the 4th CB spot..So dont think I am caping for Ivey. But if T-Rob (who you have lobbied for as being a great DB coach for years) says he is excited about developing him and sees him as an "SEC corner"..(whatever the **** that even means)..I am surprised you arent at the very bit least curious as to why he is and maybe there is something he sees in him that the rest of us don't. JMO.

Advertisement
He played middle linebacker last year in high school so it's NOT really a position switch. *****ing without having a clue what you're talking about.....only at CIS.
Our new DB coach is a huge fan of Ivey and thinks he can be an SEC-caliber corner. His issue is confidence. Our outgoing coaches also thought Ivey was our best corner.

It's now or never for him.

Ivey low key played well a lot last year, but his bad plays are big and it is hard for people to forget them.

Shields could make the move because he was a very good special teams player. And Pope? As our current President loves to say, "Come on, man."
It was a process with Shields. First, he was a heralded recruit like Pope. Then he lost confidence with bad drops and a failure to fight for the football. As a junior, his playing time as a WR cratered and he got his confidence back as a gunner. Finally, we moved him to CB as a senior and he developed into our best NFL corner in decades.

I would follow the same blueprint here. Put Pope at gunner and see how he competes. He’s faster than our other corners anyway.

It was a process with Shields. First, he was a heralded recruit like Pope. Then he lost confidence with bad drops and a failure to fight for the football. As a junior, his playing time as a WR cratered and he got his confidence back as a gunner. Finally, we moved him to CB as a senior and he developed into our best NFL corner in decades.

I would follow the same blueprint here. Put Pope at gunner and see how he competes. He’s faster than our other corners anyway.

Shields didn't develop as a CB here, I recall Him struggling at CB...I also remember there was an article talking about how raw He was when He first got to GB.

And please stop comparing Pope to Shields, they're nowhere near the same.

Shields was a world class athlete that ran a 4.29 40 and had a 40" vert...Pope isn't in the same league as Shields.

Clarke deserves more reps at CB IMO

He’s a better athlete than Blades and Ivey. He’s shown potential game breaking ability in his snaps. Hopefully TRob gets enough time with him to get him consistent.

Advertisement
Ivey low key played well a lot last year, but his bad plays are big and it is hard for people to forget them.
He makes some very noticeable mistakes and then will go a long period of time where you never hear his name being called (which is good for a corner because it means they’re not targeting you). Then, just when you think the light has turned on, he fails to even attempt to make a play on an easily interceptable pass and it goes for a big gain. It seems like he’s actually decent in coverage, he just has no ability to play the ball if his man does get targeted.

Yes, Shields was a process and he was very raw and OJT his senior year at corner. BUT, he demonstrated a willingness to throw his body around as a gunner and on kickoff cover. He was also special teams player of the year. I have no issue if they try Pope out at gunner in the spring to see if he can handle it. As for corner, no way.

The case for Pope remaining a WR:

3rd on the team in receptions.
3rd on the team in receiving yards.
Had 40 or more yards in 6 straight games.
Had 4 plays of 30 or more yards (same as Harley).
Scored big 2nd half TDs against NCST and VT.

He disappeared the final two weeks of the season and had the devastating drop at the end of the bowl game, but players entering their 4th year will often take a step forward and the competition this year will be stiff. If he can become more consistent and dependable (as Harley did in 2020) he might fend off the freshmen. K. Smith, Redding, Payton, Restrepo are still very inexperienced. Brinson, Brashard, George aren't on campus yet. There's still an opportunity there for Pope and Wiggins despite a nightmare end to 2020.

Advertisement

It's a process.

Advertisement
Is Huff "lacking smarts" and "awareness" actually true, or is that the excuse for Manny not playing him in favor of older guys? I saw in a press conference today Manny said Huff and Cave are physical and fast but "need to know where to go". Oddly enough, Zach McCloud played a lot and had absolutely no idea where he was going 100% of the time. I saw Huff play 2 snaps at LB against FSU and make 2 tackles.

Advertisement
Back