Thoughts on the class

Two things will make or break this class. The first is Tyler Van Dyke. We don’t know what we have at QB until he’s on the field with live bullets. But the tools are all there. More than anything, he needs to be a no-maintenance leader. We’ve had too few of those at the QB position. If he's the real deal, this class will look a lot different.

My question is will he get a chance to show it on the field.....dIAZ/enos dont seem to know wtf they are doing.....JW is here for another 3 years.

Advertisement
leaving early is a get the bags problem miami seems to have. the kids dont listen to anyone but the agents when they make those decisions (JT is 1 this year, Garvin is 2).

JT had zero interest in being in school any longer. Kid would've turned pro last year if he could. And with how Enos wasted him it's absolutely the right decision.

Coaching is out biggest problem by far

Advertisement
For the abortion of a season we had, how can anyone be disappointed at this class? We lost to freaking FIU and signed a class that's #12 in the country by average playing rating. It's really better than we had any business signing, and as Dmoney said it doesn't have any dead weight.

The concern has to be what happens next year, because if Manny is set on keeping Enos it's going to be another disappointing season, and won't be getting recruits to buy in at that point.

For the abortion of a season we had, how can anyone be disappointed at this class? We lost to freaking FIU and signed a class that's #12 in the country by average playing rating. It's really better than we had any business signing, and as Dmoney said it doesn't have any dead weight.

The concern has to be what happens next year, because if Manny is set on keeping Enos it's going to be another disappointing season, and won't be getting recruits to buy in at that point.

Love a lot of what we signed, and the fact the EE class is big is huge because a major influx was needed...Just disgusted with the OL and the lack of an organized board, especially with local kids at DB...Sick of Rumph and Banda and have no faith they will kill it next year when we really need to load up at corner and possibly safety again if some of these kids go to striker

This is great point. We also seem to recruit hard-working guys who want to bring the U back but after 2-3 years they frankly just seem to get mentally beat down and over it. Between losing, coaching/scheme changes, other kids crying/transferring/locker room drama, inability to drive change themselves, etc. we seem to lose all leadership. Part of the reason i think we see so many kids jump to the NFL early even when their draft projections are horrible (5+ round). They are over it and just want to try to get theirs in the NFL
Exactly the issue. Manny keeps banking on this thought that this new class will change the culture...it doesn’t work that way in most cases. I’m sure he’s thought the same thing about every class since he’s been here the last 4 years. The problem is once they get in the program, like you said, their mindset begins to change. Culture is built top down, not bottom up...and somehow Manny doesn’t realize this.

Advertisement
My thoughts:

1. Not surprised
2. Like the kids who came
3. Manny sucks and needs to go somewhere else
4. Big holes, future problems
5. Francois is right. They all are.
6. I told yinz so.
7. This was Manny’s honeymoon class. Other than Hickson’s kids, Manny got no real action on his Honeymoon from So Fla kids.
8. Manny sucks.
9. Manny sucks.
10. Blake acts surprised.

I quoted only a couple of things. Your prior instincts were correct. We need Top 5 classes to be relevant. But a sustained string of them, not sporadic. A sporadic Top 5 blended with 17 means nothing. It means a few guys. Once the Top 5 is every year then the numbers game takes over because you have 3-4 guys each season who are difference makers above the programs that sit in #17 level annually.

Recruiting is everything. We could fake relevance for 1-3 seasons with a dominant quarterback. That is what I am rooting for because it's the most realistic path. But it won't change anything toward where we stand in relation to the true blueblood programs.

The first dominant quarterback allows hope of a second one on his heels, and so forth. That type of thing can extend the paper mache.

There is no legitimate expectation that we'll have a new head coach in 2021. Sorry, but that is overreaction to the extreme while ignoring the big picture. Very, very seldom does a program of this type dismiss a head coach after only 2 seasons. The examples would be meaningless outliers oft accompanied by atypical variables.

Unless Manny Diaz does something to embarrass himself or the university off the field, he is huge favorite to remain head coach into 2021. For one thing, this season was 6-6 accomplished via a string of blown late leads and losing as 14+ point favorite. It is ridiculous to project anything like that again. We can't be dense enough to rant about how rare it is, and then somehow expect we'll replicate it the following season. Regression to the mean works both ways.

In some respects, Diaz benefits from 6-6. That's what some posters here fail to grasp. If Miami restores to logical level of 8-4 next season that will be rationalized by the administration as a positive -- a settling -- in contrast to Richt who set expectations unrealistically lofty with that 10-2 regular season of 2017.

As a USC alum I've learned not to get hopes up of firing an overmatched head coach until he proves to be a drunk or another Paul Hackett.
You are spot on on recruiting. But imo that word needs to be said. EVALUATIONS. The reason the random high class mixed with lower clases fails is at least partly because they tend to be hype driven and not built by good recruiters. I don’t think we need top 5. I know we need well evaluated. Butch just curb stomped us with 2* kids. No more drama queens and pansies. Get some hard, pipe-hittin' mofos, who'll go to work on the Coastal with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.

Advertisement
My comment on Manny as a recruiter is based on his career to date, including what he did as a LB coach and DC.

I think our success in recruiting (relative to record) speaks a lot about the quality of the campus, location and the continued viability of the brand despite years of irrelevance.

Can’t underestimate how FSU being truly horrid for the first time in like 3 decades helps Manny out by default as well. More than a handful of these kids don’t come if FSU was even average.

I wouldn’t bet on FSU being this bad forever. And I don’t see Mullen leaving UF anytime soon.

After the terrible season I am actually impressed with the increíble class that we attained, minus a few missing OL.
Let’s celebrate this wonderful class and pray for a positive season in 2020.

You say that. I called this out before he was hired, amd when he was hired. Not too many folks agreed or acted concerned.

so did I.....i knew it would be better than Golden/Dnof and that is why most were slurping dIAZ. dIAZ is great against other teams that dont have much talent(which is alot in the Coarstal) but when he goes up against talent and half decent OC he gets his **** pushed in

Advertisement
This class is better than I thought it would be given the circumstances, and there's a handful of slots left. Let's see where this goes. I'm surprised UM can't find a couple of bonafide corners in SFL, as far as OL just hope and pray dudes.

Could've and should've been alot better...That being said, to have a Top 15 class, (maybe better) after the conclusion of a 6-6 yr is kinda astonishing...I'll support the kids who wanted to be Canes...and spend less time bickering about the kids who didn't want to...

Advertisement
Back