Thoughts on the class

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This class is not underrated or overrated. It is what it’s ranked: 17th in the country, with room to move a couple spots by February. For a honeymoon class, it’s disappointing. Manny is not a good recruiter and his on-field product stinks. By the same token, it’s better than it should have been. So your opinion of this class really depends on your perspective.

My perspective on recruiting has shifted. I used to stress about landing the Top 5 class which would propel us to the next level. But that’s not going to happen. Recruiting won’t save us. We’ve landed Top 5 classes that didn’t change anything. Since 2005, we’ve finished Top 15 in recruiting ten times. We’ve only finished in the Top 15 on the field once. Until we bridge that gap, everything else doesn’t really matter.

This class is about holding steady. We will probably have a new head coach by 2021. You don’t want him to have to deal with dead weight. And in that respect, this class did its job. There isn’t a lot of fat. We have a positive blue-chip ratio of 11 four-stars and 8 three-stars. The class average (89.91) is one of our best in the past 15 years, second only to 2018. These are good players joining the program.

Two things will make or break this class. The first is Tyler Van Dyke. We don’t know what we have at QB until he’s on the field with live bullets. But the tools are all there. More than anything, he needs to be a no-maintenance leader. We’ve had too few of those at the QB position. If he's the real deal, this class will look a lot different.

The second is character. The guys that sign with us always seem like high-character kids, and the kids that don’t are always drama queens. Somehow, that perception changes by the time the recruits become college seniors. Right now, the reports are glowing. Guys like Chaney, Restrepo, Rivers, Chantz, Redding, Austin-Cave and others have impeccable reputations. Let’s hope they bring that attitude to Greentree this spring.

The staff deserves any heat they get. They were played by obvious trolls and botched OL and DB recruiting. But let’s take a moment to appreciate the kids who signed here. Watch their film, share their NSD pictures and welcome them to the family on social media. Maybe one day they will be part of the solution.

Advertisement
This is probably the best, most insightful and accurate post I've read by you. You're right on the money across the board. Let's hope we choose wisely for HC in 2021'.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't look now, but UNC and GT are not too far behind us in the rankings. Collins is doing work in Atlanta.

I'm over recruiting tbh. We've had more than enough talent to compete for too long.

Manny needs to wake tf up and improve the on the field product by FIRING his coordinators.

I wonder how a stat geek like him can look at the Top 20 offenses in College football and the kind of schemes they run and think "I want to do the complete opposite of that."

Last edited:
The second is character. The guys that sign with us always seem like high-character kids, and the kids that don’t are always drama queens. Somehow, that perception changes by the time the recruits become college seniors. Right now, the reports are glowing. Guys like Chaney, Restrepo, Rivers, Chantz, Redding, Austin-Cave and others have impeccable reputations. Let’s hope they bring that attitude to Greentree this spring.

if what you say is true
why does many keep saying there is a cancer on this team
and keep blaming players attitudes?
according to many we have signed too many poor character guys and that is why we suck

Advertisement
Back