Thoughts on the class

Shouts out to this staff for keeping the majority
of the class together. That is a great accomplishment after this **** hole of a
Season.

Advertisement
This class is not underrated or overrated. It is what it’s ranked: 17th in the country, with room to move a couple spots by February. For a honeymoon class, it’s disappointing. Manny is not a good recruiter and his on-field product stinks. By the same token, it’s better than it should have been. So your opinion of this class really depends on your perspective.

My perspective on recruiting has shifted. I used to stress about landing the Top 5 class which would propel us to the next level. But that’s not going to happen. Recruiting won’t save us. We’ve landed Top 5 classes that didn’t change anything. Since 2005, we’ve finished Top 15 in recruiting ten times. We’ve only finished in the Top 15 on the field once. Until we bridge that gap, everything else doesn’t really matter.

This class is about holding steady. We will probably have a new head coach by 2021. You don’t want him to have to deal with dead weight. And in that respect, this class did its job. There isn’t a lot of fat. We have a positive blue-chip ratio of 11 four-stars and 8 three-stars. The class average (89.91) is one of our best in the past 15 years, second only to 2018. These are good players joining the program.

Two things will make or break this class. The first is Tyler Van Dyke. We don’t know what we have at QB until he’s on the field with live bullets. But the tools are all there. More than anything, he needs to be a no-maintenance leader. We’ve had too few of those at the QB position. If he's the real deal, this class will look a lot different.

The second is character. The guys that sign with us always seem like high-character kids, and the kids that don’t are always drama queens. Somehow, that perception changes by the time the recruits become college seniors. Right now, the reports are glowing. Guys like Chaney, Restrepo, Rivers, Chantz, Redding, Austin-Cave and others have impeccable reputations. Let’s hope they bring that attitude to Greentree this spring.

The staff deserves any heat they get. They were played by obvious trolls and botched OL and DB recruiting. But let’s take a moment to appreciate the kids who signed here. Watch their film, share their NSD pictures and welcome them to the family on social media. Maybe one day they will be part of the solution.
Thank U nice write always enjoy your Posts .......always quality work.......

Exactly the issue. Manny keeps banking on this thought that this new class will change the culture...it doesn’t work that way in most cases. I’m sure he’s thought the same thing about every class since he’s been here the last 4 years. The problem is once they get in the program, like you said, their mindset begins to change. Culture is built top down, not bottom up...and somehow Manny doesn’t realize this.
I work for a leadership training and development organization that competes against Harvard and UPenn totally agree!!! It’s not the workers that led an organization it’s the folks at the top that sets that!!! Blake and Manny are horrible at that. Kids regress every year in our program. If you don’t believe in the game plan you play like the kids do in a game like fiu!!! Why not run the ball 70% of the time til they stop you then go to the pass.

Also we hear about how the class was ranked last year, but I remember folks begging about how the transfer portal allowed us to be ranked closer to a top 10 finish!

I get why he would want to delay making changes but there is real pressure on him. Without naming names, key boosters were flipping out about his “rebuild” comment.

Maybe I’m wrong but I would be shocked if there weren’t key staff changes after the bowl.
Your statement about flipping out is noise. Blake should be gone!!! Our whole sports program outside a few women’s teams are crap. And yes I’m aware of where the baseball team is ranked. Let’s see that season play out

Advertisement
He needs to be told...Change or don't change...Fire who you want, or don't. But firing people and deciding to change after another miserable year is not an option. Either way, less than 10 wins gets you fired, it doesn't give you another year to finally make changes next year.
Blake is not going to fire the guy. We need Blake gone!

I’m seeing a Taggart path. Boosters are upset and very aware that this was not sold as a rebuild.

Agreed. People think firing Enos is the solution to our problems but it won’t be. The issues this program has go beyond schemes. Briles couldn’t save Urkel from the inevitable and the next OC is unlikely to save Díaz, as well.

Last edited:
@DMoney I went to the FSU watch party, on campus, last month, and I noticed President Frenk did not watch a single play of the game while the team was playing. In addition, I found it very strange a new President to a school did not hire their own AD. I’m not a mind reader but I seriously doubt Frenks cares about the Football program and Athletics. In my opinion, the BOT is our only hope for serious change and that’s a scary thought. Has the perception of Blake James recently changed? For me, he is the key to everything. If he stays then Diaz stays. I don’t care how good of a fundraiser he is, there is no way then can allow him to hire the next HC to this program. Something has to give.

@DMoney I went to the FSU watch party, on campus, last month, and I noticed President Frenk did not watch a single play of the game while the team was playing. In addition, I found it very strange a new President to a school did not hire their own AD. I’m not a mind reader but I seriously doubt Frenks cares about the Football program and Athletics. In my opinion, the BOT is our only hope for serious change and that’s a scary thought. Has the perception of Blake James recently changed? For me, he is the key to everything. If he stays then Diaz stays. I don’t care how good of a fundraiser he is, there is no way then can allow him to hire the next HC to this program. Something has to give.
Tad Foote didn’t either. That said, I was in the trustee’s box w/ my family for the Bethune game. That was telling - some of the trustees were locked into the game. Hillary Bass, who was with Shalala (yes, Shalala), was decked out in UM gear and could have cared less that a game was even being played. It was a bit weird. It seemed like for alot, it was simply a social event.

Advertisement
Tad Foote didn’t either. That said, I was in the trustee’s box w/ my family for the Bethune game. That was telling - some of the trustees were locked into the game. Hillary Bass, who was with Shalala (yes, Shalala), was decked out in UM gear and could have cared less that a game was even being played. It was a bit weird. It seemed like for alot, it was simply a social event.

That makes sense for a Bethune game, I guess. At the end, money talks and bull**** walks. I’m the opposite where I am usually locked into the game no matter who we are playing but I’m also an extreme, at times. This was FSU. Frenks literally didn’t look at the screen once. I didn’t like what I saw.

That makes sense for a Bethune game, I guess. At the end, money talks and bull**** walks. I’m the opposite where I am usually locked into the game no matter who we are playing but I’m also an extreme, at times. This was FSU. Frenks literally didn’t look at the screen once. I didn’t like what I saw.
That is not the problem. If you had an AD like Highsmith (or a real football guy), and you delegate decisions to them, who gives a **** whether Dr. Frenks watches the game. The problem is, Blake is a fundraiser - period. He is not a football guy, never was and never will be. He doesn’t know a spread offense from a pro-style from the man in the moon. So when you hire a head coach who is way over his head, this is what you get. If this was a corporation, you would literally say that there are no internal controls in place to keep a check on things that might go awry.

Advertisement
Back