Thoughts on the class

My perspective on recruiting has shifted. I used to stress about landing the Top 5 class which would propel us to the next level. But that’s not going to happen. Recruiting won’t save us.

This class is about holding steady. We will probably have a new head coach by 2021.

I quoted only a couple of things. Your prior instincts were correct. We need Top 5 classes to be relevant. But a sustained string of them, not sporadic. A sporadic Top 5 blended with 17 means nothing. It means a few guys. Once the Top 5 is every year then the numbers game takes over because you have 3-4 guys each season who are difference makers above the programs that sit in #17 level annually.

Recruiting is everything. We could fake relevance for 1-3 seasons with a dominant quarterback. That is what I am rooting for because it's the most realistic path. But it won't change anything toward where we stand in relation to the true blueblood programs.

The first dominant quarterback allows hope of a second one on his heels, and so forth. That type of thing can extend the paper mache.

There is no legitimate expectation that we'll have a new head coach in 2021. Sorry, but that is overreaction to the extreme while ignoring the big picture. Very, very seldom does a program of this type dismiss a head coach after only 2 seasons. The examples would be meaningless outliers oft accompanied by atypical variables.

Unless Manny Diaz does something to embarrass himself or the university off the field, he is huge favorite to remain head coach into 2021. For one thing, this season was 6-6 accomplished via a string of blown late leads and losing as 14+ point favorite. It is ridiculous to project anything like that again. We can't be dense enough to rant about how rare it is, and then somehow expect we'll replicate it the following season. Regression to the mean works both ways.

In some respects, Diaz benefits from 6-6. That's what some posters here fail to grasp. If Miami restores to logical level of 8-4 next season that will be rationalized by the administration as a positive -- a settling -- in contrast to Richt who set expectations unrealistically lofty with that 10-2 regular season of 2017.

As a USC alum I've learned not to get hopes up of firing an overmatched head coach until he proves to be a drunk or another Paul Hackett.

Advertisement
Turn what around man? Come on, you know he’s dead man walking. You think a third year with less talent then year one and two and he’s all of sudden gonna start kicking ***. Lol you and I both have a better chance at winning the lottery then Mandy turning around HIS debacle here. If he turns in another season like this one next year with a 21 recruting class that’s already in the toilet he’s gone dude!

just saying I don’t think Blake James Fires him after year two. Only way he is fired is if he goes 5-7 or worse.

I am a bit confused by two sentences. You say Manny isn’t a good recruiter. Idk if he is or not. You then say in the next sentence that the class is better than it should have been. Doesn’t that mean that he did a good job recruiting? Serious question if you would elaborate.

If a moron wins 10 national championships in a row, he is by definition a good coach as that is the goal. To win the games. Herm Edwards voice. Him being a moron is irrelevant.

just saying I don’t think Blake James Fires him after year two. Only way he is fired is if he goes 5-7 or worse.
Which is a highly likely! But where I respectfully think your wrong is “ Blake James firing him” Blake has no say In that situation and rightfully so will also be on the chopping block with him.

I am a bit confused by two sentences. You say Manny isn’t a good recruiter. Idk if he is or not. You then say in the next sentence that the class is better than it should have been. Doesn’t that mean that he did a good job recruiting? Serious question if you would elaborate.

If a moron wins 10 national championships in a row, he is by definition a good coach as that is the goal. To win the games. Herm Edwards voice. Him being a moron is irrelevant.

My comment on Manny as a recruiter is based on his career to date, including what he did as a LB coach and DC.

I think our success in recruiting (relative to record) speaks a lot about the quality of the campus, location and the continued viability of the brand despite years of irrelevance.

Advertisement
The last thing this program needs is Manure getting a third year to further run it into the ground!
Thete is no Grand Slam hire out there. You change coaches every 2-3 years you ain't winning anything. Like I said hopefully Manny can turn it around next season so we don't have to change coaches again.

Thete is no Grand Slam hire out there. You change coaches every 2-3 years you ain't winning anything. Like I said hopefully Manny can turn it around next season so we don't have to change coaches again.
I’ll save you trouble my friend, he won’t! And he never should have gotten the job as he is extremely unqualified for it but so is the AD who hired him so I guess it’s par for the course my friend. Will see how you feel next season sitting at 5-7 with a recruiting class ranked in the 70s.

I’ll save you trouble my friend, he won’t! And he never should have gotten the job as he is extremely unqualified for it but so is the AD who hired him so I guess it’s par for the course my friend. Will see how you feel next season sitting at 5-7 with a recruiting class ranked in the 70s.
If that happens he will be gone. Like I said hopefully he turns it around. Dont want to continually change head coaches.. Im rooting for him to succeed, you're not.

I only question the emphasis on needing a top five class to propel us to the next level. We won NCs with classes in the aggregate ranked between 20-30. Maybe those classes were underrated. There was no internet and not the free flow of information. And maybe the whole scene has changed dramatically.

Still, JJ used to say he would rather have a lower-rated kid who got better every time he stepped on the practice field as opposed to an elite recruit who didn't progress in college.

We missed on some important positions but still recruited a lot of talent. If we recruited a superior QB, and I think we might have, we might have the great equalizer(perhaps after a change of coaches). Great quarterbacking can really help close the gap.

Advertisement
Manny IS a good recruiter but he must prove himself to be a good to great HEAD coach in order for them to align and produce what the fan base expects...
Most people don't agree with this statement, but he did pull in a top 15 or 17 class after a miserable season. So, even with misses on blue chips, he still pulled in a fairly good class, better than the lousy season would have warranted.

Note that I am not slurping-- just looking at the facts. I still have great doubts about this staff. We'll see after 2020 season.

I only question the emphasis on needing a top five class to propel us to the next level. We won NCs with classes in the aggregate ranked between 20-30. Maybe those classes were underrated. There was no internet and not the free flow of information. And maybe the whole scene has changed dramatically.

Still, JJ used to say he would rather have a lower-rated kid who got better every time he stepped on the practice field as opposed to an elite recruit who didn't progress in college.

We missed on some important positions but still recruited a lot of talent. If we recruited a superior QB, and I think we might have, we might have the great equalizer(perhaps after a change of coaches). Great quarterbacking can really help close the gap.

It’s miami and we are in south Florida we can have a donkey as a coach and we will get a half dozen very good players we need to get them coaches up man, that’s been the problem...coaching!

Look there are MANY schools who finish much lower than we do every year in recruiting BUT much higher ranked at the end of the season. It's coaching plain and simple. That and not filling your roster with over hyped high maintenance divas
Look at Memphis. They would beat us by 50

Advertisement
Zero chance we have new coach in 2021 thats all I will say . I do agree with most everything said in the OP's beyond the first paragraph which I completely disagree with . BUt I understand patience isn't a virtue many have . Because we have been average so long people don't realize every time you hire a new coach you totally start over . This was year 1 of the rebuild . I suspect we will be a top 10 team by year 3 . But time will tell. Love our QB and like our HC . Need a new OC and OL coach .

Jesus, I hope this isn't true.

Manny IS a good recruiter but he must prove himself to be a good to great HEAD coach in order for them to align and produce what the fan base expects...

Attachments

• tenor (1).gif
    tenor (1).gif
    352.1 KB · Views: 1
I appreciate who we got.

Simple question, were we anywhere close to being the 17th ranked team in the country?

Say what you will and given our record, 17th best recruiting class is much better than we deserve. People say so and so can't recruit, but we sure overplayed our hand this day. I get it, we're greedy, but that U on the side of the helmet doesn't mean what it used to. So if you say we didn't do well, you haven't been paying attention and just who do you think we are?

Advertisement
The second is character. The guys that sign with us always seem like high-character kids, and the kids that don’t are always drama queens. Somehow, that perception changes by the time the recruits become college seniors.

This is great point. We also seem to recruit hard-working guys who want to bring the U back but after 2-3 years they frankly just seem to get mentally beat down and over it. Between losing, coaching/scheme changes, other kids crying/transferring/locker room drama, inability to drive change themselves, etc. we seem to lose all leadership. Part of the reason i think we see so many kids jump to the NFL early even when their draft projections are horrible (5+ round). They are over it and just want to try to get theirs in the NFL

And he really, really missed the mark in the W-L column.

Class is good but Manny missed the mark in key areas. Especially O-Line.

Ultimately, it won't matter with this staff that we have in place because they are all grossly under qualified and should not be at Miami but back at Louisiana Tech.

Advertisement
Back