This sucks, but I guess we'll never have on-campus stadium

you guys realize sun life in the ****** years had better average attendance than the OB right?
just lol this stadium is legit and if we can win consistently will be packed every game.
we even had great crowds for the scrubs on the schedule.

Advertisement
Guys. Ross has us buy the balls with that killer lease that Donna signed.

Hard Rock it is. Let's concentrate on beating Free Shoes.

Watch what happens as we get close to the end with no plan.

He'll probably be dead in 25 years. There's a pretty good chance that the Dolphins will be in the market for a new stadium by then so nobody knows what might happen. I think UM should enjoy the fact that they got a $300 million renovation for free since their lease started before the re-work.

The only thing more ridiculous than failing to grasp there will never be an on-campus stadium is the assertion that we have a great stadium and atmosphere.

It's not a college football atmosphere at all. Attend any other game at a major venue and that will be immediately obvious unless you're in homer denial. The real world has on-campus events on game day coordinated with the lead up to the game. We're a 45 minute bus ride to a parking lot.

Last week on ESPN Recruiting Nation I saw a premier recruit who is headed to Alabama say that the number one thing he looked for in a college choice was the game day atmosphere. I wasn't going to mention that until this thread popped up, with the typical absurd claims that our venue is wonderful.

In particular I love it when the word "best" is associated. It's the best patchwork stadium in an irrelevant area next to an irrelevant race track.

Besides, it can't even grow real grass. That was the hilarity of the engineering of that patchwork roof. They were guaranteed to botch something. It turned out to be the playing surface. The hyped hybrid grass that would thrive via heat lamp despite sun blocked from the new roof was a flop all season. They had to replace it countless times including after barely any games had been played. There were several gaps this season of two weeks with neither the Canes or Dolphins playing at home yet the grass wouldn't take and the sod crews were out there constantly during time outs and at halftime. It didn't receive as much publicity as warranted but anyone in attendance saw it. On Dolphin sites the ire is most pronounced because the Dolphins take the worst of it as the second team up, on Sundays. There are already posters on those boards calling for the Canes to be evicted, and/or the playing surface replaced by Field Turf.

Last edited:
Well, the Miami Herald article says that UM and Coral Gables are pretty far along with the approval process for a gigantic new dormitory that would take up most of the space between Eaton and the Pavia parking garage, running up to the area close to Ponce where the rest of the Serpentine lot is now.

And then the article talks about UM and Coral Gables compromising and giving Coral Gables more control over the "perimeter" of the campus, which probably rules out the "driving range" north of Mahoney-Pearson, as well as the intramural area.

So it looks like we can stick a fork in any optimistic thoughts of UM ever squeezing in some plans for a stadium (or Coral Gables approving it).

Sucks. Very let down by my alma mater.

What sort of college dorm can $155 million buy? UM students will find out. | Miami Herald

If you are going to tell a lie, at least make it believable. If you are an alum(Which I doubt), you should be beyond happy that the University is improving the on-campus experience for resident students. I never had to live in the towers, but I heard stories about how much it sucked, especially compared to Mahoney/Pearson, which weren't all that great themselves. I still don't get how fans, people who have little if any loyalty to the University itself have the guts to complain about the school doing what's right for stakeholders. Why would the University of Miami spend money on a stadium, when they play in a world class facility as is?

Yeah Stanford and Hecht were pretty ****ty. But the overall experience of freshman year in the dorms was awesome because it was a real community. Hopefully it remains like that and not Mahoney which is basically lifeless.

Suite dorms all the way. People in the towers said they liked not having to clean their own bathrooms! Whatever! I loved my suitemates and made plenty of friends in Mahoney then Pearson then Eaton.

Well, the Miami Herald article says that UM and Coral Gables are pretty far along with the approval process for a gigantic new dormitory that would take up most of the space between Eaton and the Pavia parking garage, running up to the area close to Ponce where the rest of the Serpentine lot is now.

And then the article talks about UM and Coral Gables compromising and giving Coral Gables more control over the "perimeter" of the campus, which probably rules out the "driving range" north of Mahoney-Pearson, as well as the intramural area.

So it looks like we can stick a fork in any optimistic thoughts of UM ever squeezing in some plans for a stadium (or Coral Gables approving it).

What sort of college dorm can $155 million buy? UM students will find out. | Miami Herald

If you are going to tell a lie, at least make it believable. If you are an alum(Which I doubt), you should be beyond happy that the University is improving the on-campus experience for resident students. I never had to live in the towers, but I heard stories about how much it sucked, especially compared to Mahoney/Pearson, which weren't all that great themselves. I still don't get how fans, people who have little if any loyalty to the University itself have the guts to complain about the school doing what's right for stakeholders. Why would the University of Miami spend money on a stadium, when they play in a world class facility as is?

Yeah Stanford and Hecht were pretty ****ty. But the overall experience of freshman year in the dorms was awesome because it was a real community. Hopefully it remains like that and not Mahoney which is basically lifeless.

Suite dorms all the way. People in the towers said they liked not having to clean their own bathrooms! Whatever! I loved my suitemates and made plenty of friends in Mahoney then Pearson then Eaton.

Nah I like the community atmosphere frosh dorms bring. Problem was the bathroom, shower was **** and room as small as a prison

Last edited:
Advertisement

He'll probably be dead in 25 years. There's a pretty good chance that the Dolphins will be in the market for a new stadium by then so nobody knows what might happen. I think UM should enjoy the fact that they got a $300 million renovation for free since their lease started before the re-work.

Oh so when he dies Related ceases to exist? I am pretty sure they have a going concern. Also there is 15 years left on the lease.

I will repeat my post.

The only thing more ridiculous than failing to grasp there will never be an on-campus stadium is the assertion that we have a great stadium and atmosphere.

It's not a college football atmosphere at all. Attend any other game at a major venue and that will be immediately obvious unless you're in homer denial. The real world has on-campus events on game day coordinated with the lead up to the game. We're a 45 minute bus ride to a parking lot.

Last week on ESPN Recruiting Nation I saw a premier recruit who is headed to Alabama say that the number one thing he looked for in a college choice was the game day atmosphere. I wasn't going to mention that until this thread popped up, with the typical absurd claims that our venue is wonderful.

In particular I love it when the word "best" is associated. It's the best patchwork stadium in an irrelevant area next to an irrelevant race track.

Besides, it can't even grow real grass. That was the hilarity of the engineering of that patchwork roof. They were guaranteed to botch something. It turned out to be the playing surface. The hyped hybrid grass that would thrive via heat lamp despite sun blocked from the new roof was a flop all season. They had to replace it countless times including after barely any games had been played. There were several gaps this season of two weeks with neither the Canes or Dolphins playing at home yet the grass wouldn't take and the sod crews were out there constantly during time outs and at halftime. It didn't receive as much publicity as warranted but anyone in attendance saw it. On Dolphin sites the ire is most pronounced because the Dolphins take the worst of it as the second team up, on Sundays. There are already posters on those boards calling for the Canes to be evicted, and/or the playing surface replaced by Field Turf.

FOH

So this proves you didn't go to any games.

The atmosphere is now outstanding. Loud, modern, rocking stadium.

If you want the "genuine college atmosphere" you get in little shït hillbilly towns then go to some redneck town and be a fan of that team .

This is Miami and it's always been different. Even if we get our own stadium, which I don't think will ever happen, it wouldn't be the regular college atmosphere. Miami is not a regular SEC-type college like Alabama or Florida in those redneck college town.

Oh so when he dies Related ceases to exist? I am pretty sure they have a going concern. Also there is 15 years left on the lease.

I will repeat my post.

What do you think will happen? They'll either have to sign a new lease or build their own stadium. It's quite profitable to the Dolphins to rent their stadium out on Saturdays. Seems like they'd be more than happy to renew the lease.

Nah I like the immunity atmosphere frosh dorms bring. Problem was the bathroom, shower was **** and room as small as a prison

I loved being in a suite, I didn't mind occasionally cleaning my own bathroom. I'm still amazed that I got my first housing choice as a freshman, considering that I turned in my housing deposit late as ****. Turned out to be a blessing, met a lot of people being the one freshman on a floor full of upperclassmen. That said, these kids are about to get a big time upgrade, and I'm happy that they will get to enjoy that experience.

Advertisement

Mahoney/Pearson back when I lived there was insane. It was the party zone, especially the top two floors of both(I lived on the 7th floor of Pearson as a freshman), but I have heard that it changed sometime in the last 5-6 years or so.

Another **** from Awsi. Never fails.

Mahoney/Pearson back when I lived there was insane. It was the party zone, especially the top two floors of both(I lived on the 7th floor of Pearson as a freshman), but I have heard that it changed sometime in the last 5-6 years or so.

I was on Mahoney 6. And yeah it definitely could get lit but Other than my friends I didn't know a single other person on my floor. I only saw 2 of my neighbors all yr (out of like 8). basically Mahoney is just a much worse version of the UV.
Maybe I just had a legit RA frosh yr because Everybody always left their door open, regardless what nonsense was happening.

But I also heard their making these new frosh dorms gender neutral, which should be interesting if they still have the community bathrooms.

I will repeat my post.

What do you think will happen? They'll either have to sign a new lease or build their own stadium. It's quite profitable to the Dolphins to rent their stadium out on Saturdays. Seems like they'd be more than happy to renew the lease.

Before the lease, we had leverage. We still had the OB option. Now we have nothing. We have no other option because there is no plan.

You can't wait until the lease expires to have a plan either. You need to have it well in advance.

As for them, I am sure that they want us to rent the stadium because it is an additional revenue source. With that said, they have the leverage. We have no plan.

Advertisement

I will repeat my post.

Before the lease, we had leverage. We still had the OB option. Now we have nothing. We have no other option because there is no plan.

You can't wait until the lease expires to have a plan either. You need to have it well in advance.

As for them, I am sure that they want us to rent the stadium because it is an additional revenue source. With that said, they have the leverage. We have no plan.

I'll agree that there isn't really any leverage on UM's part. I would assume they put something into plan before the lease expires. Either negotiate an extension in the coming years or explore other options. I think it would be pretty foolhardy for the administration just to wait until the lease is up to do anything.

45 minute bus ride for 4 to 5 thousand students or a 15 minute bus ride, what's the difference? You'll never get the on camp feel of a game because there is no room for a stadium. Miami can't get Coral Gables to approve the additional 1,500 seats for the basketball arena and we can use them for the big ACC games.

Every major university is building modern dormitories. This will be a huge draw for students and student athletics alike. Much needed.

Hard Rock sucks so bad the NFL is bringing back the Super Bowl in 2020. Who gives a ***** if Dolphin fans can complaining about the field being torn up when the they play the next day. Ross need the University of Miami.

Suites all the way. Pearson 7th floor in '91-'92.

Advertisement
Dude, new dorms or no new dorms there will never be an on campus stadium. We play in a state of an art stadium with great space for tailgating and near major highways. We don't need an on campus stadium.

none of that matter if fans don't even go to the games.. what the point of having a top of the line stadium if no one goes to it.. we were better off with the dump that was the OB because at least people came out.. they don't even try at HRS.. Every time I read about a new stadium.. people ALWAYS say "what about the people traveling north of the stadium.. what about them?" and I always say.. UM home games is as far north as it has ever been and the attendance is x10 worse.. We the stadium was more south.. we had a respectable attendance even when we were on the decline in '06 and '07 when the OB still exist. Coral Gable will N-E-V-E-R approve an on campus stadium.. so forget that... plus there isn't space..
This guy gets it. UF fans were goofing on us for having an empty stadium on Henderson's Periscope feed. Anyone who thinks HRS is a selling point to recruits is delusional. Opposing coaches use the "stadium nowhere near campus" line to negative recruit against us.

Dude, new dorms or no new dorms there will never be an on campus stadium. We play in a state of an art stadium with great space for tailgating and near major highways. We don't need an on campus stadium.

none of that matter if fans don't even go to the games.. what the point of having a top of the line stadium if no one goes to it.. we were better off with the dump that was the OB because at least people came out.. they don't even try at HRS.. Every time I read about a new stadium.. people ALWAYS say "what about the people traveling north of the stadium.. what about them?" and I always say.. UM home games is as far north as it has ever been and the attendance is x10 worse.. We the stadium was more south.. we had a respectable attendance even when we were on the decline in '06 and '07 when the OB still exist. Coral Gable will N-E-V-E-R approve an on campus stadium.. so forget that... plus there isn't space..
This guy gets it. UF fans were goofing on us for having an empty stadium on Henderson's Periscope feed. Anyone who thinks HRS is a selling point to recruits is delusional. Opposing coaches use the "stadium nowhere near campus" line to negative recruit against us.

Don't let facts get in the way.

Apparently you never want to games either. We set attendance records last year you clown

Yup. And on campus population of less than 4,000 will make no dent in the low turnout. If anything the crap traffic of Coral Gables will turn off fans from showing up!

I keep seeing the "we set attendance records last year," but that's not all that impressive. We had no where to go but up.

I like HRS and think it's a cool venue, but let's stop acting like every game was sold out. There were still REALLY poorly attended games this season, but at least the on-field product was better.

Advertisement
Back