This sucks, but I guess we'll never have on-campus stadium

Advertisement
Well, the Miami Herald article says that UM and Coral Gables are pretty far along with the approval process for a gigantic new dormitory that would take up most of the space between Eaton and the Pavia parking garage, running up to the area close to Ponce where the rest of the Serpentine lot is now.

And then the article talks about UM and Coral Gables compromising and giving Coral Gables more control over the "perimeter" of the campus, which probably rules out the "driving range" north of Mahoney-Pearson, as well as the intramural area.

So it looks like we can stick a fork in any optimistic thoughts of UM ever squeezing in some plans for a stadium (or Coral Gables approving it).

Sucks. Very let down by my alma mater.

What sort of college dorm can $155 million buy? UM students will find out. | Miami Herald

a stadium wouldn't fit in that spot and, even if it did, it would be impossible to get the roads from 95 or the 826 improved enough to make it happen on campus. you're let down because you think having a stadium is as easy as just building it and hoping for the best.

Sounding like some sheep in here. Baaaaaaaah....

UM can't do it. It's impossible. Blah blah blah blah blah.

Nothing gets done with that mentality.

clueless.

I'm always astounded by these "Coral Gables will never let it happen" posts.

Do you not realize that the campus is right on the edge of Coral Gables? A way more plausible scenario is to build it on the west side of 57th Ave/Red Road, that neighborhood is being revitalized and the government housing there will be available at some point...

yeah? how are you going to direct traffic to get there? literally impossible unless it's by the 826 at an absolute minimum.

Well, the Miami Herald article says that UM and Coral Gables are pretty far along with the approval process for a gigantic new dormitory that would take up most of the space between Eaton and the Pavia parking garage, running up to the area close to Ponce where the rest of the Serpentine lot is now.

And then the article talks about UM and Coral Gables compromising and giving Coral Gables more control over the "perimeter" of the campus, which probably rules out the "driving range" north of Mahoney-Pearson, as well as the intramural area.

So it looks like we can stick a fork in any optimistic thoughts of UM ever squeezing in some plans for a stadium (or Coral Gables approving it).

Sucks. Very let down by my alma mater.

What sort of college dorm can $155 million buy? UM students will find out. | Miami Herald

a stadium wouldn't fit in that spot and, even if it did, it would be impossible to get the roads from 95 or the 826 improved enough to make it happen on campus. you're let down because you think having a stadium is as easy as just building it and hoping for the best.

Sounding like some sheep in here. Baaaaaaaah....

UM can't do it. It's impossible. Blah blah blah blah blah.

Nothing gets done with that mentality.

clueless.

I'm always astounded by these "Coral Gables will never let it happen" posts.

Do you not realize that the campus is right on the edge of Coral Gables? A way more plausible scenario is to build it on the west side of 57th Ave/Red Road, that neighborhood is being revitalized and the government housing there will be available at some point...

yeah? how are you going to direct traffic to get there? literally impossible unless it's by the 826 at an absolute minimum.

Unless they are planning to fly in people via helicopter .... the traffic situation would never make an on-campus stadium feasible

Some of these posters have never been on the CG campus or so it seems like.

Courtyard

Exterior%20Concept

Site%20Plan

Very beautiful campus...but, where in the ***c are they gonna place this IPF? Place is small bro.

At least they are getting rid of those 3 storey crcker boxes that have been an eyesore since the fifties ...

Advertisement
Crazy that people still hold on to this fantasy. A football stadium on that tiny campus is impossible.

People that post about an on-campus stadium have never been on campus. They lie.

I've hit massive traffic jams just going to basketball games from US 1. The same coming from other corrections Too. That's only 7,000 people trying to get on campus.

What they really should do is demolish Tropical Park and build us a stadium there.

That's the grimiest, most low-rent park in the city and I doubt anyone except the reffiest ****heads from Westchester would care that it's gone.

Advertisement
What they really should do is demolish Tropical Park and build us a stadium there.

That's the grimiest, most low-rent park in the city and I doubt anyone except the reffiest ****heads from Westchester would care that it's gone.

it's the only plausible site that solves the distance issue without requiring massive infrastructure improvements that the state would never approve. there's no reason to leave our current venue for anywhere but tropical park.

.. we were better off with the dump that was the OB because at least people came out.. they don't even try at HRS..

This is a lie and shows that you're either a con artist or you just don't know what you're talking about.

Even at the OB we had crappy attendance at times.... **** I remember going to a game vs Pitt when we were ranked 2/3 in 2000 and there only being 50k fans there...

We can't even get 50k people in the stands now... Im not saying the OB was packed or sell out every game.. I'm just saying even at our worse it wasn't as pathetic as it is now.. go look at our GT game last year or Pitt this year..

They set an attendance record this year. Average attendance was 58,000+. People have delusional fantasies about attendance in the OB because they only went to big games. Of course it was sold out and rocking that time you went to see Miami play FSU. Two weeks later, when Temple came to town, there was 35,000 people there. There's never going to be an on campus stadium. There's no chance they'll play anywhere besides HRS for the next 20 years. What, you want them to play in some 20,000 seat soccer arena? Or even worse, a glorified high school field at FIU? GTFO.

Advertisement
Are these the ones that are supposed to replace the fresh dorms? Cause I know they are going to be tearing those 4 buildings down or some ****. It's needed too the fresh dorms suck, even though the environment is great. They just need to be improved alot

Advertisement
I didn't attend UM but I've been on campus a few times. I was surprised at how dated some of the building were.

[MENTION=538]rokulika[/MENTION]...

This.

I once thought this was a possibility. It's outside of coral gables but still close enough to be consider "on campus". The properties on that site are all outdated government housing.
image.jpg

But reality is that traffic would be a nightmare, parking a bigger nightmare and affordability a bigger bigger nightmare. The only possibility would be at tropical park and it would most likely have to be a joint venture because we will never be able to afford building a stadium on our own. I would be down to get out of hard rock in 15 years time wi the right plan in place.
image.jpg

Why does it have to be "on-campus"? The Orange Bowl wasn't "on-campus".

I look forward to our school and our plans as we approach the end of our lease. Hopefully Stephen Ross Jr is in a good mood.

Advertisement
Back