There it is...a glimmer of hope...

We should be, and are in stadium where s**tty corrupt Miami politicians can’t have a say on the venue. They broke that trust with the OB. (Not disregarding the complicity of some U admins.)

Advertisement
Other then HR the only obvious site would be Tropical Park 40 street Bird Road , build it for football , soccer will be a waste like Marlin stadium is.Cuban people said build MS and we will come.....NOT , now Cuban people again said build SS and we'll come again...not.

None of these sports will work this is a football town , we seem to not learn from history and force ourselves to repeat history of failures.

ALL FOR POLITICIANS WAKE UP PEOPLE..

Build the U stadium at TP if we have to if not HR is fine..

GOCANES

25,000 seats in the Beckham stadium. Not big enough.

You do realize, there is a difference between the Liberty City soccer stadium and what will be built in Melreese, correct? They are not building a 25K stadium in Melreese.

Advertisement
Something I don't understand is why we would want to play in any stadium that also accommodates soccer when that inherently means we'd be going back to having seats further away from the field by virtue of the fact that soccer fields are wider than football fields.

The problem wasn't soccer, it was baseball. And the fact it was built in the 1980s. The original plan was for retractable seating so that you could still have BOTH football and soccer sidelines. Soccer seats would have started up higher. But the plan to include baseball screwed stuff up.

Modern stadiums built for both soccer and football sidelines have mastered this problem. But, yes, Joe Robbie Stadium was screwed up by trying to accommodate 3 different sports.

The metamorphosis is simply a sight to behold:

Before (notice the massive amounts of empty space between the field and the sidelines):

rsz_11280px-dolphinstadiumint.jpg

After:

rsz_maxresdefault.jpg

I don't want another stadium, I want our stadium filled.

You do realize, there is a difference between the Liberty City soccer stadium and what will be built in Melreese, correct? They are not building a 25K stadium in Melreese.

In my opinion, the Melreese site is an impossibility for a stadium of any size because of the proximity to the airport. FAA flight path approvals for building height and the stadium lights next to the airport will stop it dead in it's tracks. Very, very slim chance the FAA approves of it.

There is another site being discussed in Doral.

Read the article below:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article202774989.html

Advertisement
Miami like FSU and UF has to win to fill up the stadium, thats why I laugh at UF and FSU fans when they talk stadiums empty. No one likes losing teams and fans can smell BS its why we havent had home field with 3 regimes, alot of fans smelled that sauce and didnt go. FSU and UF last season were worse than Iraqi deserts, no one was there but the zombies who are loyal till the end and sink with the ship. If we promise winning seasons our games will be the **** its that simple

The Tri-Rail (From Palm Beach) and Metro Rail stop right next to Melreese at the airport station. The 836, 826, US27, and 112 are all nearby access points and all except the Palmetto are less than a mile walking distance. It's about 5.7 miles from campus and a straight shot up Lejune. The Melreese location would be the best from a logistics standpoint--hands down--and it's not even close. If they build a world-class 50k seat stadium (like Aviva) it would be a no-brainer.
Look, with all due respect, a lot of you guys just don't understand.

First, a well-built soccer stadium is very loud and very comfortable. I have season tickets for Orlando City, and it only seats between 25K and 30K, yet the soccer players from all over the MLS say that it is one of the loudest stadiums. I agree with everyone's comments about what a craphole is being planned for Liberty City, but with the involvement of the Mas brothers (and MasTec), and the goal of doing something very special with a stadium in Melreese, it could be a very nice venue (and I do like Hard Rock as it has been renovated, and I sit in a very good 100-level club section).

Second, I realize a lot of you guys are only concerned with how this impacts yourself. But having been an undergrad/grad/law student at UM, and having student tickets for nearly a decade from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, I can tell you that many of you are simply overlooking how important the "student experience" is to building lifelong fans/boosters/season ticket holders. I have a number of friends who drive down from Orlando for every game, and it is because we are UM alums. I realize that a certain percentage of seats can be filled with South Florida residents, but the people who give the most amount of money to UM are the UM alums (not counting when someone chooses to pay for a new building on the Med campus).

Student disinterest may not profoundly impact attendance now, but ongoing student/alum apathy will surely impact attendance in the future. Having a stadium in Melreese would make a huge impact on the UM football program, from student/alum attendance to "no more dirty recruiting" from the player perspective.

As for the tri-county area, there is now a bullet train that will have a station near MIA, which is INCREDIBLY close to Melreese. Literally, across the street from Melreese.

I love what has been done with Hard Rock, but the stadium is already 30+ years old. I never thought that we would lose the Orange Bowl, but it happened. And there is nothing that stops us from playing one big game per year in Hard Rock.

With the Mas brothers involved (UM alums), I am quite certain that they would go the extra mile to build something that works very well for UM. It took us over a decade to get that with Hard Rock, and only because the NFL wouldn't give the old stadium a Super Bowl any longer.

Be honest, it would be amazing to have a place close to campus, with great access to transportation and parking. ****, Hard Rock is giving a huge chunk of the current parking lot to TENNIS COURTS.

Let's revisit this topic in a year.

The Tri-Rail (Miami to Palm Beach) and Metro Rail stop right next to Melreese at the airport station. The 836, 826, US27, and 112 are all nearby access points and all except the Palmetto are less than a mile walking distance. Melreese is about 5.7 miles from campus and a straight shot up Lejune. Without question the Melreese location would be the best from a logistics standpoint--hands down--and it's not even close. If they build a world-class 50k seat stadium (like Aviva) it would be an absolute no-brainer. Bring the Canes home...

Aviva Aerial .jpegAviva profile.jpeg
Aviva Navy.jpeg
Aviva Dublin.jpg

Advertisement
Let me give you people a clue about the status of our “own” stadium at Melreese, or anywhere else. (sidenote, morons: it still wouldn’t be “our” stadium, only now we would be partnered with some sketchy people). Here’s the status of our “own” stadium

694B6B62-75D7-46B6-A47A-70717635F6BB.gif

Ain’t happening. It’s dead. Stake through the heart dead. Not in a million years dead. Julius Ceaser dead. Single wing offense dead. Let it rest in peace.

Miami like FSU and UF has to win to fill up the stadium, thats why I laugh at UF and FSU fans when they talk stadiums empty. No one likes losing teams and fans can smell BS its why we havent had home field with 3 regimes, alot of fans smelled that sauce and didnt go. FSU and UF last season were worse than Iraqi deserts, no one was there but the zombies who are loyal till the end and sink with the ship. If we promise winning seasons our games will be the **** its that simple

Have yet to meet a coach that didn't "promise " winning seasons.........finding one that can actually deliver them has always been the problem

In my opinion, the Melreese site is an impossibility for a stadium of any size because of the proximity to the airport. FAA flight path approvals for building height and the stadium lights next to the airport will stop it dead in it's tracks. Very, very slim chance the FAA approves of it.

There is another site being discussed in Doral.

Read the article below:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article202774989.html
Riot torn drug infested land parcels way cheaper and possibility of getting area jobs and having theft on the project to get drugs for 6-10 months then firing them and have government pay for it thru taxes for the stadium that will never be retracted after completion all is just to outrageously enticingly silly for politicians to pass up .

GOCANES

Advertisement
Riot torn drug infested land parcels way cheaper and possibility of getting area jobs and having theft on the project to get drugs for 6-10 months then firing them and have government pay for it thru taxes for the stadium that will never be retracted after completion all is just to outrageously enticingly silly for politicians to pass up .

GOCANES

Oh one more thing forgot , imagine the flood of workers who will get hired because skilled labor is VERY SCARCE lately and start throwing themselves off ladders for workmen s comp and disability for life.

Ask any general contractor there getting any applicants for anything , possible employees ask only couple questions nothing to do with qualifications andt hey are.

when do I sick days start
when do I get vacation
job-site medical insurance for lawsuits.

GOCANES

what some of you knuckle draggers dont understand is that it might not be up to us whether we stay in Hard Rock stadium or not. Our lease has 14 years left on it and this soccer stadium is realistically 4 to 5 years away. If the Miami dolphins decided not to renew our lease, what do we do? You never come into the game without an ace up your sleeve.

The dolphins are spending crazy amount of money repairing the field and changing over from Hurricanes to Dolphins. Whenever there is a back to back game on the same weekend, you can see the phin players and opponents slipping all over the place. The players and fans have been *****ing about it for years.

I like Hard Rock stadium, it was amazing last season after the renovations and i agree it is the best option for accommodation tri- county fans. But if im the university of Miami i would at least listen. A stadium of 50k with on site parking and actual things to do before and after the game would be cool. There are no bars or any amenities that surround HRS. being able to take the metro rail or tri rail to the game is another big bonus. Flying in for the game and not having to rent a car and drive to ****** miami gardens is a big big bonus. there are a bunch of hotels in the area already and with 18 acres there will be more built. There is a lot of potential for this site. also soccer season doesn't coincide with football season. UofM needs to at least listen to this plan. Plus fck the Miami Dolphins

Last edited:
what some of you knuckle draggers dont understand is that it might not be up to us whether we stay in Hard Rock stadium or not. Our lease has 14 years left on it and this soccer stadium is realistically 4 to 5 years away. If the Miami dolphins decided not to renew our lease, what do we do? You never come into the game without an ace up your sleeve.

The dolphins are spending crazy amount of money repairing the field and changing over from Hurricanes to Dolphins. Whenever there is a back to back game on the same weekend, you can see the phin players and opponents slipping all over the place. The players and fans have been *****ing about it for years.

I like Hard Rock stadium, it was amazing last season after the renovations and i agree it is the best option for accommodation tri- county fans. But if im the university of Miami i would at least listen. A stadium of 50k with on site parking and actual things to do before and after the game would be cool. There are no bars or any amenities that surround HRS. being able to take the metro rail or tri rail to the game is another big bonus. Flying in for the game and not having to rent a car and drive to ****** miami gardens is a big big bonus. there are a bunch of hotels in the area already and with 18 acres there will be more built. There is a lot of potential for this site. also soccer season doesn't coincide with football season. UofM needs to at least listen to this plan. Plus fck the Miami Dolphins

Of course you always keep options open in business, if possible. But zero chance Dolphins ever leave the Canes high and dry. Zero. It just won’t happen.

Dolphins want to be seen as a socially responsible member of the community, and are even more afraid of the public backlash, it’s something they wouldn’t even dare.

The worst they’re going to do is drive a harder bargain and that’s the ONLY thing the administration fears - less money from the deal - and that’s only at the end of the lease. Give me a break.

And guess what - it’s the same issues with another stadium that we also would NOT OWN. We are at the mercy of someone else. As we will always be. It’s exactly the same thing. Don’t you people understand that? EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

And please stop with the public transportation thing. People in Miami don’t take public transportation. What fantasyland are you people living in?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back