There it is...a glimmer of hope...

I love Hard Rock, but the attendance is really bad most of the games. I simply don't understand why they can't cover one or two end zones with the big "U" professional banners. With the new stadium renovation, that actually looks good and it works. I know some people buy season tickets there, but that should be an easy fix.

Hard Rock at about 50K capacity for every game except for FSU or the occasional ND type game would be perfect in every way.

Covering seats with some dumb banner doesn't fool anyone or do anything. It's still empty seats, my eyes tell me that.

Advertisement
I will never understand the fixation of some for an on campus or near campus stadium.

Very simple answer.

Coral Gables was the first planned community in the United States. George Merrick planned the whole city, and the University was supposed to have a football stadium.

Hence, the "fixation".

Having said that, I realize that things have changed and that it is incredibly unlikely to ever happen now. There IS enough land if someone at UM actually wanted to build a stadium, but the current construction plans will probably use all of the available land and leave us without a suitable future footprint.

But I would still like to have the "world class university" and campus that George Merrick intended us to have.

I hope that one day I’m old enough to have nothing else to do other than watch club hockey.

Now you are giving me a hard time for supporting my alma mater's sports teams?

Wow, I'm sure that is a well-thought-out opinion.

You are SOOOOO angry that I corrected you about Saban's record.

By the way, THREE posters got Saban's record wrong, and I corrected all three. You were just the third dum-dum that I corrected, it's nothing personal. You shouldn't take it so hard.

Now you are giving me a hard time for supporting my alma mater's sports teams?

Wow, I'm sure that is a well-thought-out opinion.

You are SOOOOO angry that I corrected you about Saban's record.

By the way, THREE posters got Saban's record wrong, and I corrected all three. You were just the third dum-dum that I corrected, it's nothing personal. You shouldn't take it so hard.

Edit: I hope that I am one day old enough to correct meaningless mistakes on a message board before going to a club hockey game.

Advertisement
Very simple answer.

Coral Gables was the first planned community in the United States. George Merrick planned the whole city, and the University was supposed to have a football stadium.

Hence, the "fixation".

Having said that, I realize that things have changed and that it is incredibly unlikely to ever happen now. There IS enough land if someone at UM actually wanted to build a stadium, but the current construction plans will probably use all of the available land and leave us without a suitable future footprint.

But I would still like to have the "world class university" and campus that George Merrick intended us to have.

I didnt know this. My understanding of George Merrick begins and ends with the Merrick building. So, its cool to learn this.

I guess my points are 1, its never going to happen. 2, its not a panacea for all that ails the program. That is what I mean by fixation.

Still so mad that you had to post 3 times in a row. Did the website slow you down and tell you that you needed to wait 44 more seconds before attacking me again?

Attacking you? Don’t flatter yourself. You’re not that important. You’re a know-it-all who writes so many condescending posts that you lose track of how many things you ***** up.

The funny part is, it’s mostly people who live nowhere near Miami. If you’ve ever been anywhere near the UM campus, you’d know an on campus stadium is an impossible pipe dream.
Tropical park is plenty big. On campus would literally be impossible though.

Edit: I hope that I am one day old enough to correct meaningless mistakes on a message board before going to a club hockey game.

See, there it is. You're obsessed with whether your mistake was "meaningful" or "meaningless". Meanwhile, I don't know you from Adam, as I pointed out, I corrected THREE posters who didn't know how to Google before porsting stats. The other two posters didn't lose their sanity and start researching my posts from years ago.

Seriously man (or woman, I don't know that we've ever established that), your are projecting some dark and demented stuff. I don't care about you or your inaccurate posts. Nobody singled you out. Log off of your computer and spend the weekend relaxing. I would have suggested that you enjoy a nice sporting event, but somehow you will find fault with that.

I don't know you, I don't care about you, and you are making yourself look like a complete buffoon.

Enjoy that.

Advertisement
Attacking you? Don’t flatter yourself. You’re not that important. You’re a know-it-all who writes so many condescending posts that you lose track of how many things you ***** up.

Only one of us is out there searching for posts from years ago. And it ain't me.

About half of your 99 porsts are crazy responses to me, and the fact that I corrected you one time.

Grow up.

See, there it is. You're obsessed with whether your mistake was "meaningful" or "meaningless". Meanwhile, I don't know you from Adam, as I pointed out, I corrected THREE posters who didn't know how to Google before porsting stats. The other two posters didn't lose their sanity and start researching my posts from years ago.

Seriously man (or woman, I don't know that we've ever established that), your are projecting some dark and demented stuff. I don't care about you or your inaccurate posts. Nobody singled you out. Log off of your computer and spend the weekend relaxing. I would have suggested that you enjoy a nice sporting event, but somehow you will find fault with that.

I don't know you, I don't care about you, and you are making yourself look like a complete buffoon.

Enjoy that.

It has been more than a year. While insulting everyone, you were so sure of yourself that you said we can revisit this in a year.

Any updates?

Only one of us is out there searching for posts from years ago. And it ain't me.

About half of your 99 porsts are crazy responses to me, and the fact that I corrected you one time.

Grow up.

You love dishing out the insults but you sure get on a high horse when someone points out your mistakes.

I didnt know this. My understanding of George Merrick begins and ends with the Merrick building. So, its cool to learn this.

I guess my points are 1, its never going to happen. 2, its not a panacea for all that ails the program. That is what I mean by fixation.

Yeah, the stadium was supposed to go where "Lake" Osceola now is. The "Lake" used to be a canal. UM dredged out all that dirt, sold it to one of the builders of one of the causeways, and used the money to finish the Merrick Building.

Basically, I think we agree. It's 99% certain to never happen, but I wish someone at UM would actually make the effort.

Remember the car dealership that used to be on Ponce north of campus? Coral Gables allowed that to be turned into a big mall. And downtown Coral Gables is now jam-packed with much higher buildings than when we were in school. The old days of "Coral Gables will never allow it" have changed, but we have probably used up whatever available land we once had.

I always hold out a tiny glimmer of hope, though. LOTS of stuff in Dade County has been torn down over the past few decades. I'd love to see UM bulldoze the Mahoney-Pearson corner and build a 50K stadium. Not likely. But still.

Advertisement
Yeah, the stadium was supposed to go where "Lake" Osceola now is. The "Lake" used to be a canal. UM dredged out all that dirt, sold it to one of the builders of one of the causeways, and used the money to finish the Merrick Building.

Basically, I think we agree. It's 99% certain to never happen, but I wish someone at UM would actually make the effort.

Remember the car dealership that used to be on Ponce north of campus? Coral Gables allowed that to be turned into a big mall. And downtown Coral Gables is now jam-packed with much higher buildings than when we were in school. The old days of "Coral Gables will never allow it" have changed, but we have probably used up whatever available land we once had.

I always hold out a tiny glimmer of hope, though. LOTS of stuff in Dade County has been torn down over the past few decades. I'd love to see UM bulldoze the Mahoney-Pearson corner and build a 50K stadium. Not likely. But still.

Can people park their trucks in their driveways now in Coral Gables?

You love dishing out the insults but you sure get on a high horse when someone points out your mistakes.

I didn't make a mistake. You are clueless. I'm not going to prolong this much longer, but I'll just point out the obvious.

The UM undergrad enrollment has NEVER been 8,500. The number that I cited was ALWAYS the full-time main-campus number. There was, and always has been, a specific reason for using that number, and that sub-set of the UM enrollment.

I know how pained you still are by me correcting your Saban misquote, but here's the difference between you and I. I can actually converse and provide context as to why I quoted that number. But you'll never be happy with that, you insist on ignoring my obvious contextual use of that number. I explained myself, yet you can't accept it. So I will stop trying.

Here, you want me to "admit" my "mistake"? I'm sorry that I don't type out "full-time main-campus undergrads" every time I refer to the MAIN core student body population that pays the Athletic Fee and is eligible to attend the games. I am SOOOOO sorry that I, a three-time alum who is active in the Alumni Association and who is a former President's 100, somehow gave 99-POST YOU a mistaken impression of the pool of UM students who can potentially contribute to our stadium attendance (both now and in the future).

I realize that you came into the adult conversation late, and fresh off your wrist-slap from misquoting something as easy as Saban's record, so I APOLOGIZE for the pain I caused to your ****** from my massive serial correction of three consecutive porsters who got Saban's record wrong.

I have committed a micro-aggression against you. I acknowledge your suffering, as you lashed out with years-old-thread-bumps and insults directed towards me and the Miami hockey team. I forgive you, I know that my correction has hurt you deeply.

Happy?

Friends?

Can people park their trucks in their driveways now in Coral Gables?

Still a touchy subject, I have friends who live there who say that sometimes even contractors get ticketed when they go to do plumbing work at houses.

Advertisement
I actually like hard rock now that it’s renovated. The Louisville game this year was really loud and intense, so was the FSU game last year. Great atmosphere for big games.

Venue doesent matter that much in my opinion. When we are competitive and relevant our fans show up and are as loud as any other fans

Still a touchy subject, I have friends who live there who say that sometimes even contractors get ticketed when they go to do plumbing work at houses.

Wow. I only remember that because during orientation I took a bus tour of the city and the tour guide made a big point about that.

You've made several mistakes. But since you're a narcissist, you twist every mistake into something else.

Hope you and the other seven people enjoy the 10:00 PM club hockey game.

You must be 5 years old. I call someone a narcissist, and now you're trying to call me the same name. Funny.

Just keep insulting UM sports. I'll keep supporting my alma mater, no matter how many people are in the stands.

I'm still soooo sorry that I hurt your feelings.

Advertisement
Back