There it is...a glimmer of hope...

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
Read this Miami Herald article on the Mas brothers and the possibility of moving the soccer stadium to Melreese...

"With far more real estate in Melreese, the Beckham group would have enough room for parking garages, practice soccer fields and possibly a stadium large enough to accommodate the University of Miami, an early potential partner in the Beckham venture before fading away as the soccer venture abandoned bids for roomier sites on the Miami waterfront and next to Marlins Park."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article203678634.html

Advertisement
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
What is fascination with a UM only stadium? With improvements to Hard Rock, it really is a much better venue and it not like anything else on the college level. Don't think student attendance would boost that much, and would hurt tri-county attendance
There aren’t enough students to consider moving closer to campus. UM football needs the tri county fans, not a group of students whose numbers won’t even fill a section.

Why TF would anyone want to leave the rock?!!
Whoever hasn’t been there doesn’t know what they’re talking about. THe only thing left to negatively recruit from and it’s a non issue as soon as you come to a home game. It’s also right on the border with broward county making it easier for parents form palm beach to come. Is North Carolina or Pitt a night game?! God I hope so.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is soccer that popular in Miami?

Yea, if it’s one of the World Cup teams that’s playing. But this MSL shlt? Why do you think they’re talking about building a rickety erector set 25k high school stadium.

I mean really.

And clowns on this board take adding a few thousand seats to that mess seriously as a proper stadium for us. Fūck that.

When a senior on Notre Dame says it was the loudest game he’s ever heard, I’d say we got ourselves a pretty good home field advantage. It would take a pretty sweet stadium for me to want to leave.

When a senior on Notre Dame says it was the loudest game he’s ever heard, I’d say we got ourselves a pretty good home field advantage. It would take a pretty sweet stadium for me to want to leave.

Let that sink in. Notre Dame. Every away game they play is an event. Let’s be honest. Every opposing fan wants to beat the brakes off them. They play to hostile packed houses EVERY away game.

Again, let that sink in.

Advertisement
What is fascination with a UM only stadium? With improvements to Hard Rock, it really is a much better venue and it not like anything else on the college level. Don't think student attendance would boost that much, and would hurt tri-county attendance
I agree. Much more convenient for PB, Broward, Dade and Miami fans in general to get to the Hard Rock off the turnpike and I-75. Plus this is all talk.

Look, with all due respect, a lot of you guys just don't understand.

First, a well-built soccer stadium is very loud and very comfortable. I have season tickets for Orlando City, and it only seats between 25K and 30K, yet the soccer players from all over the MLS say that it is one of the loudest stadiums. I agree with everyone's comments about what a craphole is being planned for Liberty City, but with the involvement of the Mas brothers (and MasTec), and the goal of doing something very special with a stadium in Melreese, it could be a very nice venue (and I do like Hard Rock as it has been renovated, and I sit in a very good 100-level club section).

Second, I realize a lot of you guys are only concerned with how this impacts yourself. But having been an undergrad/grad/law student at UM, and having student tickets for nearly a decade from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, I can tell you that many of you are simply overlooking how important the "student experience" is to building lifelong fans/boosters/season ticket holders. I have a number of friends who drive down from Orlando for every game, and it is because we are UM alums. I realize that a certain percentage of seats can be filled with South Florida residents, but the people who give the most amount of money to UM are the UM alums (not counting when someone chooses to pay for a new building on the Med campus).

Student disinterest may not profoundly impact attendance now, but ongoing student/alum apathy will surely impact attendance in the future. Having a stadium in Melreese would make a huge impact on the UM football program, from student/alum attendance to "no more dirty recruiting" from the player perspective.

As for the tri-county area, there is now a bullet train that will have a station near MIA, which is INCREDIBLY close to Melreese. Literally, across the street from Melreese.

I love what has been done with Hard Rock, but the stadium is already 30+ years old. I never thought that we would lose the Orange Bowl, but it happened. And there is nothing that stops us from playing one big game per year in Hard Rock.

With the Mas brothers involved (UM alums), I am quite certain that they would go the extra mile to build something that works very well for UM. It took us over a decade to get that with Hard Rock, and only because the NFL wouldn't give the old stadium a Super Bowl any longer.

Be honest, it would be amazing to have a place close to campus, with great access to transportation and parking. ****, Hard Rock is giving a huge chunk of the current parking lot to TENNIS COURTS.

Let's revisit this topic in a year.

Not saying for or against since I can’t travel to Miami and see the Rock in person. Just going to point to the fact that it is basically now designed along the same lines as a soccer arena. So technically Hard Rock on a smaller scale would be even louder. So basing decision on noise factor, advantage should go to the soccer arena. Beyond that, The Rock looks pretty **** impressive on tv and I envy tf out of you guys that get to go. I may actually get to go to my very first game in Miami this year or next so pretty **** excited about it considering being a fan since ‘79. Just wish I could have seen the OB IRL.

Advertisement
Back