There it is...a glimmer of hope...

Advertisement
I NEVER thought I'd dismiss ANY idea of us moving (especially to a new smaller venue).....but then it started to pour late in the 3rd quarter against Georgia Tech and a roar from the crowd commenced that pretty much lasted all year and it became abundantly clear that the homefield advantage at Hard Kock CAN be unparalleled.

I'm cool wit dis:

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-6576426/herbstreit-describing-the

Comparing post-renovations Hard Rock to pre-renovations Hard Rock is like comparing a chick who got some nice breast implants, lost 30 pounds, learned how to cook, and lost any *****y attitude she once had to her former self.

Whatever this other “other” stadium is, it will still NOT be the OB. The Rock felt like the OB last year for VT and ND. If we can have our sacred soil back, I’m in, but just another exile place is still exile. The fire got rekindled last year, let’s ride with it.

Advertisement
No. Just no. Do you people know how to count. Start counting how many students live on campus with your fingers. Let me know when you’re done in a few minutes.

HRS is just fine.

Yeah...the myth of an on campus stadium continues. Under 4,000 students live on campus. 21,000 live on campus at University of Florida. 27,000 live on campus at FSU.

To compare to some other private schools...Stanford has 6,000 students on campus. Vanderbilt has 5,000. Duke has like 10,000. The former two have 50-70% the enrollment of UM.

Until the MLB decides to move the Marlins out of their stadium and Miami can get it renovated to be outfitted for football then Hard Rock is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

And to the person discussing season tickets on Orlando City's stadium. I too had them before moving to Texas and hard rock is similar because of the over hangs with sound reverberation. Needless to say the Orlando City games weren't even close to being as loud as the VT and ND games.

That is such a lame *** take.

Well not really, just did it for old times sake.

There aren’t enough students to consider moving closer to campus. UM football needs the tri county fans, not a group of students whose numbers won’t even fill a section.

Advertisement
Remember greasing the lady at the gate $5 to watch Jim Kelly. Saw Kenny Calhoun bat down the pass. Watched Jimmy get carried off the field. Witnessed Vinny win the Heisman against OU. Survived wide right III. Felt the OB shake like a mother as Devin Hester ran the opening kick back against the Gators (the most insane moment in OB history imo), and enjoyed every second of the revenge pounding we gave Washington.

Those were all incredible days and nights in a one of a kind place that will never, ever be duplicated.

All that being said, I've never been at a Canes game that was louder than this year's Irish beat down.

IMO we are in the perfect stadium for today's game. It's an amazing place to watch and it gives us a home field edge 90% of the teams out there can't match. The decibal levels when it's rocking leaves your ears ringing hours after the fact,

And **** those Shula Burgers are good.

Last edited:
Took the whole family to the Hard Rock this year. Parking was only like $10 and wasn't that far of a walk. The sight lines were amazing. I went to Joe Robbie (might have been Pro Player at the time) and it suuuuuucked. I roasted in the sun then it rained, then sun came back out, and roasted again, but with mosquitoes eating me to pieces. Hard Rock was 1 million times better and LOUD. The OB was loud and kinda scary, when the fans got real loud the stadium felt like it was going to fall apart.

Teams can't negative recruit about the stadium situation anymore. That's pretty much all that matters to me. I don't know how you improve the stadium experience by moving to a smaller place that is still far away from campus. Eventually when the Marlins move to Orlando, San Antonio, or Mexico City we might get a shot at a near campus stadium. But that won't be for another 3 years at least.

One of the biggest problems originally with Hard rock was it was built to be a multi sport facility. The field was built wide to accommodate soccer and baseball. That made the stands far from the field. Now we play in a stadium that’s been redesigned for only football.

Yeah...the myth of an on campus stadium continues. Under 4,000 students live on campus. 21,000 live on campus at University of Florida. 27,000 live on campus at FSU.

To compare to some other private schools...Stanford has 6,000 students on campus. Vanderbilt has 5,000. Duke has like 10,000. The former two have 50-70% the enrollment of UM.

You are clueless about the statistics. Absolutely clueless. You have no idea what you are talking about, because you are simply quoting numbers that you googled.

First, the only students at UM who are required to pay the Athletic Fee (and thus get to go to football games) are the full-time undergraduates. The number of full-time undergrads at UM is just over 8,000. Of those, over half of the full-time undergraduate student body lives on campus.

For the most part, the only graduate/law/medical students who CHOOSE to pay the Athletic Fee are those who went to UM undergrad. Such as myself. Almost nobody at UM Law pays the Athletic Fee. Same with the Med School. Same with the graduate school.

And even the portion of the full-time undergrads who live off-campus...LIVE IN DADE COUNTY. That means that nearly 100% of the full-time undergraduate student body lives in DADE.

Finally, as should be obvious, Melreese isn't "on campus" It's 5 miles away from campus. It's actually very close to the old Orange Bowl site, about 2-3 miles away and slightly NORTH (and to the west) of the Orange Bowl site.

If someone is willing to build a 50,000 seat stadium within 5 miles of the campus, and will let UM play in it, we have to consider that.

But, hey, sure, some of you have the same foresight displayed when UM turned down Tropical Park because we were happy with the Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
You are clueless about the statistics. Absolutely clueless. You have no idea what you are talking about, because you are simply quoting numbers that you googled.

First, the only students at UM who are required to pay the Athletic Fee (and thus get to go to football games) are the full-time undergraduates. The number of full-time undergrads at UM is just over 8,000. Of those, over half of the full-time undergraduate student body lives on campus.

For the most part, the only graduate/law/medical students who CHOOSE to pay the Athletic Fee are those who went to UM undergrad. Such as myself. Almost nobody at UM Law pays the Athletic Fee. Same with the Med School. Same with the graduate school.

And even the portion of the full-time undergrads who live off-campus...LIVE IN DADE COUNTY. That means that nearly 100% of the full-time undergraduate student body lives in DADE.

Finally, as should be obvious, Melreese isn't "on campus" It's 5 miles away from campus. It's actually very close to the old Orange Bowl site, about 2-3 miles away and slightly NORTH (and to the west) of the Orange Bowl site.

If someone is willing to build a 50,000 seat stadium within 5 miles of the campus, and will let UM play in it, we have to consider that.

But, hey, sure, some of you have the same foresight displayed when UM turned down Tropical Park because we were happy with the Orange Bowl.

So...I said 4000, and your response, including calling me clueless, is that the number is "over" half of 8000. Show your work, at least. Clearly Google had mine. But, it doesn't take a genius to know that Miami's on campus student body is minuscule compared to essentially everybody. Also a big fan of the assumption that graduate students don't go to games because they don't pay the athletic fee.

By moving to Dolphins Stadium, clearly Miami is trying to draw from the region (Dade, Broward, even PBC), not the student body, which is tiny by any measure - local alumni included.

The political s***ing on these projects by local politicians and and the big money guns always renders these projects useless monoliths. Never serving the good of Miami residents, except their own pockets lined with taxpayer money. They are magicians putting on a show of "Now you see it, now you don't." We are always the gullible idiots watching this Miami s**show, sometimes even applauding.

I think the Hard Rock owners have shown enough loyalty to the U in the way that they have improved the stadium with considerations for the U. They deserve our loyalty. Besides, if you went to the Rock, or watched it on tv, it was the best venue for a modern day CFB game, bar none. Back to "If we win, they'll show up." So true.

Man; at first I was pumped about this idea, but after seeing how HRS jumped and folks calling me on the phone during the game just to hear how loud it was, I can’t get behind this idea anymore. I think we’re good where we’re at. Looking forward to visiting the Rock, soon.

Advertisement
I am excited that MLS is finally going to be in Miami (Not Fort Lauderdale like it was years ago).

That said, a soccer team should never share its facility with a College football team. There would be major field issues unless they decide to use artificial surface which would suck in my opinion.

So as a soccer fan I say no to this idea. As a Canes fan I also say no to this idea. Hard Rock is the best venue for the team.

Read this Miami Herald article on the Mas brothers and the possibility of moving the soccer stadium to Melreese...

"With far more real estate in Melreese, the Beckham group would have enough room for parking garages, practice soccer fields and possibly a stadium large enough to accommodate the University of Miami, an early potential partner in the Beckham venture before fading away as the soccer venture abandoned bids for roomier sites on the Miami waterfront and next to Marlins Park."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article203678634.html
wrong , we must put all new stadiums in riot torn drug infested areas so no one will go with families or date nights, like Miami arena many time we parked there and some one would come up and say they'll watch our car for $20 or you'll have four flats when U come out......

ANOTHER MOON DOGGLE LIKE MAD DOG JIM MANDICH SAID ABOUT MARLIN STADIUM.....BUILD IN BAD AREAS AND NO ONE WILL COME.......PERFECT SPOT.

GOCANES

So...I said 4000, and your response, including calling me clueless, is that the number is "over" half of 8000. Show your work, at least. Clearly Google had mine. But, it doesn't take a genius to know that Miami's on campus student body is minuscule compared to essentially everybody. Also a big fan of the assumption that graduate students don't go to games because they don't pay the athletic fee.

By moving to Dolphins Stadium, clearly Miami is trying to draw from the region (Dade, Broward, even PBC), not the student body, which is tiny by any measure - local alumni included.

You're just doubling down on stupid.

You were comparing the "on-campus" students at Vanderbilt and Duke (which includes grad-law-med students) to Miami (which has no grad-law-med students living on campus), and you were not bothering to include students who live within 5 miles of the campus. Furthermore, the current UM student housing capacity is 4,500 (which will increase once the new dorms are built next to Eaton, as Eaton will not be torn down), and another 100-200 on Fraternity Row. Most of the off-campus students live within 5-7 miles of campus, in South Miami, Kendall, Gables, and the Grove.

You're just engaging in selective statistics to try to prove a point, when the truth is that an OFF-CAMPUS stadium at Melreese would be incredibly close to the campus, incredibly close to where nearly all of the off-campus students live, and incredibly close to the airport and high-speed rail station for alums and fans who live outside of Dade. AND there would be parking garages, not tennis courts.

If you want to yap about all of the new amenities at Hard Rock, fine. But if you want to act as if the UM students would not be much better served by a stadium at Melreese, and you want to start comparing UM's campus to Duke's, then I'm going to call BS on your googling skillz.

Advertisement
Back