There it is...a glimmer of hope...

Advertisement
Hard Rock is half filled majority of the time anyway. Wouldn't mind playing in a packed 30K seat state of the art soccer stadium

Look, I know I criticize a lot of your posts, and I'm not saying that you don't have a point here, but can we just think about this for a minute?

First, on behalf of your argument, yes, college (and pro) sports attendance is on the decline.

But on the other side of this, the "half-filled" argument is currently true largely because of how bad the team has been for 15 years. And it also overlooks our "big" games, such as F$U/VaTech annually, or Florida/Notre Dame occasionally.

So think about it this way. Let's say we build a 30K stadium based on current trends. What happens when we are good again, and 60K want to come to the games (and don't tell me about how they should have been fans all along, and they should pay a higher price, etc.). I know that the fans don't come out in droves when we suck, but if you cap our attendance at 30K forever, it will be nearly impossible to ever build a loyal fanbase in the future, since it will be a small and rare group who gets to see UM in person.

Additionally, you would lose the chance to ever schedule some of those top teams, since the Gators and Irish (with huge fanbases) are never going to schedule an away game in a 30K stadium (similar to the way they won't play UCF in Orlando). And don't tell me about having the "big games" in Hard Rock. They are busy turning that venue into a multi-use tennis/Formula One facility. The LAST THING that they will want to do is to drop everything just to host one or two UM games every time WE NEED THEM (and they don't need us).

There is a part of your argument that is appealing, in that I chose to go to UM because it was much smaller than UF and F$U, but from a sports standpoint, we will really put ourselves into a G5/service academy box by playing in such a tiny venue.

Miami needs to work on building the fan-base, building the attendance, and making sure that we CAN fill a 65K stadium every single time.

And, yes, winning helps.

You guys have to think finances. If UM having it’s own stadium increases revenue substantially, do you have to consider it at this point? As of now UM will ALWAYS be giving money to Ross for the use of that stadium. This is more of a question than a statement so someone with more knowledge on the financial sense of it I would love to hear your take

I love Hard Rock, but the attendance is really bad most of the games. I simply don't understand why they can't cover one or two end zones with the big "U" professional banners. With the new stadium renovation, that actually looks good and it works. I know some people buy season tickets there, but that should be an easy fix.

Hard Rock at about 50K capacity for every game except for FSU or the occasional ND type game would be perfect in every way.

Advertisement
Look, I know I criticize a lot of your posts, and I'm not saying that you don't have a point here, but can we just think about this for a minute?

First, on behalf of your argument, yes, college (and pro) sports attendance is on the decline.

But on the other side of this, the "half-filled" argument is currently true largely because of how bad the team has been for 15 years. And it also overlooks our "big" games, such as F$U/VaTech annually, or Florida/Notre Dame occasionally.

So think about it this way. Let's say we build a 30K stadium based on current trends. What happens when we are good again, and 60K want to come to the games (and don't tell me about how they should have been fans all along, and they should pay a higher price, etc.). I know that the fans don't come out in droves when we suck, but if you cap our attendance at 30K forever, it will be nearly impossible to ever build a loyal fanbase in the future, since it will be a small and rare group who gets to see UM in person.

Additionally, you would lose the chance to ever schedule some of those top teams, since the Gators and Irish (with huge fanbases) are never going to schedule an away game in a 30K stadium (similar to the way they won't play UCF in Orlando). And don't tell me about having the "big games" in Hard Rock. They are busy turning that venue into a multi-use tennis/Formula One facility. The LAST THING that they will want to do is to drop everything just to host one or two UM games every time WE NEED THEM (and they don't need us).

There is a part of your argument that is appealing, in that I chose to go to UM because it was much smaller than UF and F$U, but from a sports standpoint, we will really put ourselves into a G5/service academy box by playing in such a tiny venue.

Miami needs to work on building the fan-base, building the attendance, and making sure that we CAN fill a 65K stadium every single time.

And, yes, winning helps.
U make a fair point. It's seeing that stadium half empty is really embarrassing whether I admit it to rivals or not.

Someone really dropped the ball on the negotiations with Beckham. Football trumps soccer. That would have been a place to call home and it's a **** of a lot closer than Hard Rock.

Why would the school purposely want to sell fewer tickets and make less money? You may put on the TV and only see 30k people in the stands but there’s at least another 15k seats that might be empty but were paid for. That’s why they count ticket sales and not turnstile numbers when they announce attendance. UM is still getting the money for those tickets even if the people who bought them aren’t using them

Took the whole family to the Hard Rock this year. Parking was only like $10 and wasn't that far of a walk. The sight lines were amazing. I went to Joe Robbie (might have been Pro Player at the time) and it suuuuuucked. I roasted in the sun then it rained, then sun came back out, and roasted again, but with mosquitoes eating me to pieces. Hard Rock was 1 million times better and LOUD. The OB was loud and kinda scary, when the fans got real loud the stadium felt like it was going to fall apart.

Teams can't negative recruit about the stadium situation anymore. That's pretty much all that matters to me. I don't know how you improve the stadium experience by moving to a smaller place that is still far away from campus. Eventually when the Marlins move to Orlando, San Antonio, or Mexico City we might get a shot at a near campus stadium. But that won't be for another 3 years at least.

Agree. My experiences were very similar.

Advertisement
Plus, its cool to say this...

z9McbpX.gif
This!

Echo the same sentiment above. I like what The Hard Rock has become. The ship sailed re needing a new stadium. That's not a problem we need to address anymore.

Advertisement
The funny part is, it’s mostly people who live nowhere near Miami. If you’ve ever been anywhere near the UM campus, you’d know an on campus stadium is an impossible pipe dream.

I could not agree more.

The current location is more accessible to a larger number of people than an on campus could ever be.

Advertisement
All evidence to the contrary. You can't resist, since your only identity revolves around being a message board character.

Funny.

Meanwhile, I'll be at the UM-UCF hockey game tonight and tomorrow, supporting my alma mater, while you will be wasting your time misquoting Saban's record and researching my posts from years ago.

Advertisement
Back