The Work 8-5: First week of fall camp

View as article
Peter predicted Perry would start before or shortly after he committed. Don't expect him to change his tune early. I still find that hard to believe and will wait and see in a few weeks what will Richt say. I'm still going with experience.

You find it hard to believe that Golden left us with **** at QB? Where is this experience that you speak of? Rosier played one meaningful game and it would have been a lost to Duke if not for a fluke lateral play that got us the win.

Uh, Golden left him two 4 stars with Kaaya and Allison. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Richt didn't make much of an effort to keep Kaaya. Still think that's odd. Figure he saw the problem against VT, Kaaya doesn't handle a rush well. We all thought Richt "finally" figured out how to run an offense around Kaayas skill set, but in reality he basically gave up on hoping Kaaya would make better decisions in terms of throwing the ball away/not taking sacks and just went max protect. If I'm not mistaken, we had games were Herndon didn't run a single route.

Allison should have been the logical front runner at this point, 4 star talent with a year learning Richts offensive system, but he was a bust. So of Golden's two best qb recruits - one transferred without taking a snap, the other put up all time stats but couldn't win most of the biggest games (and a head coach who knows how to get the most out of qbs couldn't wait for him to leave)

Advertisement
Any see Shirreffs winning the job. He's been pretty awful in scrimmages. He might be smart and make good decisions in shorts and shells, it he's been terrible in scrimmages. Maybe that'll change this fall, but I think Rosier will pull ahead.

If he ***** the bed in a scrimmage, doubt he's built to lead us at Doak

Any see Shirreffs winning the job. He's been pretty awful in scrimmages. He might be smart and make good decisions in shorts and shells, it he's been terrible in scrimmages. Maybe that'll change this fall, but I think Rosier will pull ahead.

He's pretty much **** the bed in every scrimmage. Maybe that'll suddenly change. I think guys are putting way too much stock in 5 practices--4 of which weeent even in pads.

Advertisement
Peter predicted Perry would start before or shortly after he committed. Don't expect him to change his tune early. I still find that hard to believe and will wait and see in a few weeks what will Richt say. I'm still going with experience.

You find it hard to believe that Golden left us with **** at QB? Where is this experience that you speak of? Rosier played one meaningful game and it would have been a lost to Duke if not for a fluke lateral play that got us the win.

Uh, Golden left him two 4 stars with Kaaya and Allison. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Richt didn't make much of an effort to keep Kaaya. Still think that's odd. Figure he saw the problem against VT, Kaaya doesn't handle a rush well. We all thought Richt "finally" figured out how to run an offense around Kaayas skill set, but in reality he basically gave up on hoping Kaaya would make better decisions in terms of throwing the ball away/not taking sacks and just went max protect. If I'm not mistaken, we had games were Herndon didn't run a single route.

Allison should have been the logical front runner at this point, 4 star talent with a year learning Richts offensive system, but he was a bust. So of Golden's two best qb recruits - one transferred without taking a snap, the other put up all time stats but couldn't win most of the biggest games (and a head coach who knows how to get the most out of qbs couldn't wait for him to leave)

I agree, except for calling Allison a bust after a redshirt year. Kaaya couldn't handle any kind of pressure (broken play, 3rd down, 4th quarter).
Keep in mind that Perry was committed to Golden too.

He's pretty much **** the bed in every scrimmage. Maybe that'll suddenly change. I think guys are putting way too much stock in 5 practices--4 of which weeent even in pads.

Shirreffs was the best QB when they had the full-contact scrimmage in spring.

If he ****s the bed in a scrimmage, doubt he's built to lead us at Doak

didn't Allison have the best numbers in the scrimmage?

Advertisement

didn't Allison have the best numbers in the scrimmage?

He did in the final scrimmage but it was against the 2nd/3rd team and walkons.

The first one was full contact and apparently Shirreffs made two big time throws that got everyone's attention. We have no numbers from it so we don't know how he actually did. Shirreffs does his best work behind closed doors and early. It has been this way since the Summer of '16.

Last edited:

Wait, what?

Are you talking about the very first scrimmage, the one Allison got injured in?

Wait, what?

Are you talking about the very first scrimmage, the one Allison got injured in?

Yep. There were multiple reports, including my own.

Everyone is getting lost in the Sherrifs note of Pete's post.

The fact that after 5 practices a true freshman late enrolle is already taking first-team reps shows that Perry is going to win this job. Sherries had all spring/summer to make a big case for himself and he didn't pull away at all. He's even with a freshman. Perrys going to win this job.

Advertisement

The fact that after 5 practices a true freshman late enrolle is already taking first-team reps shows that Perry is going to win this job. Sherries had all spring/summer to make a big case for himself and he didn't pull away at all. He's even with a freshman. Perrys going to win this job.
Yup

If this is indeed the case, that Shirreffs and Perry are neck and neck, with Rosier behind them, then what the **** is the rest of the media, people like Matt Porter, doing?

It's pretty sad when the only info out there were some positive quotes from Rick about Rosier, and these guys can't even be bothered to develop some sources.

Good job, Pete. Don't ever get lazy like Matt Porter.
It's no different from spring practice in that aspect. While I personally still can't see sheriff's starting the fact that fail is week 3 is telling in the race. Either way you look at it is all about perspective. Either it helps sheriffs cause he knows the offense and Perry may need more time or Perry plays week 1 to work out the kinks. Everything I see tells me its Perry but I gotta admit sheriffs although still very inconsistent,his confidence is night & day...

Thats well said.

Advertisement

Rick said everyone would get some reps with the ones before fall practice even started.

Nobody loves Pete and D$ more than I do, but they said Rosier would be off the team prior to last season. Then he wound up being the primary backup. It's way too early to be making any concrete declarations especially given Shirreffs' mostly horrible play in scrimmages to date.

Funny thing about Perry is no one even talks about all his fumbles. Homer fumbled once last year, and he was immediately labeled a fumbler. Gray got the same rap.

Pretty sure I've been on the bandwagon of Perry > Shireffs > Rosier > Weldon since at least the first scrimmage. (I had Allison after Perry but before Shireffs)
It is really obvious to me that Rosier is the worst option. He will lose us games. Sure he has the most experience, but its not like he has much of it, and he won't give us higher highs than Perry, and in all likelihood would give us just as low lows....or more.

Richt will choose Perry if he trusts the defense enough to overcome freshman mistakes a few times a game, and is willing to risk a 9 win season for the potential to completely Win the ACC and set us up as much as possible for next season.
He will choose Shireffs if he just wants to cruise to a 10win season relying heavily on Walton and the defense.

That's not saying much, D.

Advertisement
Back