The Work 8-5: First week of fall camp

View as article
Y'all have found a way to get mad over good news. We back.

We have to take what we can get but some of it stinks based on what has been written and what has played out in the past. This is now three offseason sessions in a row that Shirreffs is getting hype. Specifically early hype. Then reality and the numbers show up and no one can explain or actually tries to explain why the observations don't match reality.

The practice observers here and sources within the program don't know what they're looking at and have no idea what Richt looks for. That or Shirreffs ****s down his own leg after any early success.

Shirreffs hurt his hand last year. It was widely reported. That's why his hype tapered off.

If you don't want to believe us, listen to today's Out The Huddle podcast with DJ and Rolle. They were there today. Let me know how many times they mention Rosier.

My pick is Perry and my pick for second is Shirreffs. Maybe I'm wrong. Last time there was a QB battle, I said it was Kaaya from the first practice. The media and conventional wisdom were saying Heaps. We were right. Let's see how it plays out.

I'm not giving Pete's venture more than I pay for Netflix.

Unless they've been at practice all 5 days their observations only tell me what they saw today. Any time Shirreffs has had a chance to prove practice watchers right on a public stage he hasn't.

Maybe this year will be different.

Advertisement

We have to take what we can get but some of it stinks based on what has been written and what has played out in the past. This is now three offseason sessions in a row that Shirreffs is getting hype. Specifically early hype. Then reality and the numbers show up and no one can explain or actually tries to explain why the observations don't match reality.

The practice observers here and sources within the program don't know what they're looking at and have no idea what Richt looks for. That or Shirreffs ****s down his own leg after any early success.

Shirreffs hurt his hand last year. It was widely reported. That's why his hype tapered off.

If you don't want to believe us, listen to today's Out The Huddle podcast with DJ and Rolle. They were there today. Let me know how many times they mention Rosier.

My pick is Perry and my pick for second is Shirreffs. Maybe I'm wrong. Last time there was a QB battle, I said it was Kaaya from the first practice. The media and conventional wisdom were saying Heaps. We were right. Let's see how it plays out.

Unless they've been at practice all 5 days their observations only tell me what they saw today. Any time Shirreffs has had a chance to prove practice watchers right on a public stage he hasn't.

Lol and what makes you think they haven't been out there everyday

What makes me think the two UM legends haven't been out there everyday? It is possible but that probably would've been made public knowledge by someone. They might have stuff that precludes them from being at practice at 9am everyday too.

Great update!

Just a piece of advice, as you may go into journalism full-time, watch out for the common "he" v. "him" grammar mistakes. Just as you wouldn't say, "Him will see time in the nickel spot," you shouldn't say, "[H]im and Malek will see time in the nickel spot...."

As a retired university professor, there is no greater damage millenials have done to the English language than the inappropriate use of pronouns. Me and my wife, who teaches preschool, agree on this subject.

Considering you just butchered the last sentence, I'd hold off on the English class professor.

Thanks Pete And DMoney...got a question for either or both of you

Do you guys get run when they clear out reporters at the start of practices?

Advertisement
Great update!

Just a piece of advice, as you may go into journalism full-time, watch out for the common "he" v. "him" grammar mistakes. Just as you wouldn't say, "Him will see time in the nickel spot," you shouldn't say, "[H]im and Malek will see time in the nickel spot...."

As a retired university professor, there is no greater damage millenials have done to the English language than the inappropriate use of pronouns. Me and my wife, who teaches preschool, agree on this subject.

Considering you just butchered the last sentence, I'd hold off on the English class professor.

Turn on your sarcasm detector.

What makes me think the two UM legends haven't been out there everyday? It is possible but that probably would've been made public knowledge by someone. They might have stuff that precludes them from being at practice at 9am everyday too.

DJ and Jon watch film with the linebackers at least once a week. They know what's going on in there.

DJ and Jon watch film with the linebackers at least once a week. They know what's going on in there.

If they have detailed observations and have taken notes on the QB play of all the contenders that would be an interesting watch.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Great update!

Xe is a retired Enrgrish professor.

Advertisement

If they have detailed observations and have taken notes on the QB play of all the contenders that would be an interesting watch.
You sure you don't have a horse in this battle, mane?

**The quarterback position is shaping up more and more to be an Evan Shirreffs and N'Kosi Perry race. According to program sources, Shirreffs appears more confident than he was in spring practice and seems to be trusting has arm downfield more than he previously had. N'Kosi Perry, who had been working almost exclusively with the second-and-third offensive units, received some first-team action in Saturday morning's practice.

A major positive with Perry that a few people have noted is how quickly he gets the ball out of his hands. There does not seem to be much hesitation in his decision making -- add that with the fact that Perry is the most gifted passer on the roster. I'd expect most of the first team reps at QB to continue going towards Shireffs and Perry.

**There's been a ton of good buzz on freshmen receivers Mike Harley and Jeff Thomas -- and for good reason. Every Canes fan knew the type of speed each of them were bringing to the roster when they signed, but here's a bit more info on what each are doing.

Mike Harley has made big plays just about every single day of camp. Bombs, screens, posts, slants, you name it -- Harley just gets open. The criticism of him as a recruit was whether his smallish frame would hinder him against physical play at the next level, but Harley has shown that he gets off the line like a technician and it's tough for corners to recover against that sort of speed.

Jeff Thomas has shown flashes of what he can do but multiple people I've spoken to get the sense that he's only scratched the surface as far as what he can add to the offense this season. One tidbit that I found interesting when looking at these two freshmen receivers -- Thomas has been working almost primarily in the slot, while Harley is being used in more of a flanker role.

People are really excited about Lawrence Cager's return. He has a leg up on Dionte Mullins right now in that battle for the receiver spot opposite of Ahmmon Richards.

**Deejay Dallas is officially starting to get some reps with the running backs. Dallas will still be at receiver, but this potential twist has been rumored for months (first mentioned by DMoney on our spring practice podcast). The intriguing thing about Dallas' skill set is that he is looking really, really good at wide out, and Dugans has moved him around to essentially every role. Although his route running is a work in progress, his body control and ability to snatch the football out of the air have been extremely impressive to those who have watched.

It has become increasingly apparent in just the first week of camp that Dallas will have a role in the offense. He could also have tremendous value as a third-down back.

**When it comes to freshman defensive end DJ Johnson, two words you hear regarding him are "speed and motor". Johnson is sitting somewhere between 255-260 pounds right now. The eye-opening thing about him though his is speed, which some speculated whether or not would translate over from the high school track to the college field -- and it certainly has.

Johnson does not have the pass rush moves he needs moving forward, but he has made a handful of plays in the backfield based almost solely on his speed and relentless motor. Neither him or fellow freshman DE Jonathan Garvin will redshirt.

**Freshman CB Trajan Bandy has been a fit in Manny Diaz's defense almost immediately. The most notable observation I've heard from different sources is how quickly Bandy is able to diagnose plays and react. Bandy had a pick-6 during his first practice. Him and Malek Young will both see time in the nickel spot this season.

As coaches have noted multiple times already, Jhavonte Dean and Dee Delaney are both the truth and have been living up to expectations. Both are probable starters, but things could vary depending on the opposing team's personnel.

**Freshman safety Derrick Smith has the size to be an immediate contributor, which everyone knew. But what has been a bit of a surprise to some is how smooth his hips appear to be in coverage. He is not necessarily in the playing rotation at this moment, but he's showing promise.

I never got the hate on D Smiff, kids that big and tall don't move like that.

D smiff is a head hunter people sleep on him

It's amazing.

I'm just not taking reports like they're set in stone anymore

Multiple people that said they were at today's practice said Perry held the ball too long. He and Weldon apparently both had that issue. The Work has Perry getting the ball out quickly as one of his strengths. So who is seeing what they want and who is actually observing objectively?

Taking practice observations as gospel would have had us believing Kaaya had an All-American type year coming in '16. I'll wait for actual numbers after the scrimmages.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back