The Work 8-5: First week of fall camp

View as article
Peter predicted Perry would start before or shortly after he committed. Don't expect him to change his tune early. I still find that hard to believe and will wait and see in a few weeks what will Richt say. I'm still going with experience.

Walton said that perry has looked real good.

Advertisement
I'm not surprised in the least bit about Derrick Smith. Kid has natural ball skills & he's a killer. Once he adjusts to the speed of the college game(which it seems like he's ahead of the curve)he's gonna be a key contributor. Take it from a real Dade County guy, don't ever sleep on them Orange Park boys. When an Orange Park kid has it, he has it. Ability, Character, and 100 lb stones(e.g., The QuarterMan)...

A couple weeks back DJ Johnson mentioned he thought D Smith was going to be a star at miami after just a few weeks practicing with him.

100% certain Shireffs will never start for this team unless the real starter is injured.... he's a walk-on, this ain't Rudy we are trying to win.

Evan probably looks good until the pads come on when they scrimmage.

This. He's a slow (not Kaaya slow but slow nonetheless), white kid with a long, delayed release and a noodle arm. If the defense goes live he'll get eaten up, just like in the Spring.

As I've said, there's a reason he had zero other FBS offers. He's not good, period. At least Rosier had 8-9.

Perry or Rosier will start, unless Richt feels like going 5-7 this year.

Advertisement
Cager's going to ball this season....Opposite AR, he'll be getting man coverage with a 6" height advantage over most dbs.

I had 1 foot in on the Perry train.. then i had to step out to grab a pillow and a blanket because it gonna be a long ride on this Perry train had to make sure I was comfortable.

Watching Derrick Smith's film confirms the quote about how smooth his "hips" are. I don't know what I missed for him to be sorta dismissed but he definitely seemed like the biggest impact player on that defense he played for at Trinity.

Not only his hitting ability but I saw him show good range for someone his size at the safety spot. Having him at FS would be most ideal since we have Amari Carter at SS.

Advertisement
Johnson tweeted he is 271. Have to think he will be a DT next year

Mike Harley is probably a more polished route runner than Jeff Thomas at this point in their careers. Which wouldn't surprise me if true...

Harleys highlight film of how crisps his routes were at the Army practices were ridiculous. Both are talented enough to make freshman all American / all conference teams this season.

Advertisement
Mike Harley is probably a more polished route runner than Jeff Thomas at this point in their careers. Which wouldn't surprise me if true...

Harleys highlight film of how crisps his routes were at the Army practices were ridiculous. Both are talented enough to make freshman all American / all conference teams this season.

Harley's had much, much better coaching up to this point, so I don't doubt that.

Remember JT played both ways full-time for his HS, so he didn't focus on WR. Also started out as a RB at ESL.

The fact that he has so much to learn as far as route running goes shows you how much potential he has though

Y'all have found a way to get mad over good news. We back.

We have to take what we can get but some of it stinks based on what has been written and what has played out in the past. This is now three offseason sessions in a row that Shirreffs is getting hype. Specifically early hype. Then reality and the numbers show up and no one can explain or actually tries to explain why the observations don't match reality.

The practice observers here and sources within the program don't know what they're looking at and have no idea what Richt looks for. That or Shirreffs ****s down his own leg after any early success.

You sure Shirreffs has been getting hype for THREE offseasons? If you can't handle the news that a guy "appears more confident than he was in Spring" without saying something as hot and bothered as --

"The practice observers here and sources within the program don't know what they're looking at and have no idea what Richt looks for."

I don't know how you trust a single report on anyone or anything. Shirreffs has had a few good practices. That's literally all that's being said. There's no anointing oil or white smoke, no one is saying he's even taken the lead. He's in a battle with a true freshman. That's the news, it's good news and it doesn't mean if he loses the battle he's the beneficiary of manufactured, ignorant hype.

I'm so glad there's competition for QB playing time. Force the potential starters to earn the job...it's great.

Advertisement

We have to take what we can get but some of it stinks based on what has been written and what has played out in the past. This is now three offseason sessions in a row that Shirreffs is getting hype. Specifically early hype. Then reality and the numbers show up and no one can explain or actually tries to explain why the observations don't match reality.

The practice observers here and sources within the program don't know what they're looking at and have no idea what Richt looks for. That or Shirreffs ***** down his own leg after any early success.

Shirreffs hurt his hand last year. It was widely reported. That's why his hype tapered off.

If you don't want to believe us, listen to today's Out The Huddle podcast with DJ and Rolle. They were there today. Let me know how many times they mention Rosier.

My pick is Perry and my pick for second is Shirreffs. Maybe I'm wrong. Last time there was a QB battle, I said it was Kaaya from the first practice. The media and conventional wisdom were saying Heaps. We were right. Let's see how it plays out.

Man if the battle is tied and it between Evan and Perry. Start Perry because neither has any experience and Perry has WAY more upside and he'll be here to completely bring us back in 2018 and 2019. Something is telling me we'll run a up tempo spread offense this year similar to Oregon or at least one of those QB friendly offenses instead of the traditional pro-set. If Perry is solid that should still be 10 wins plus he would gain so much confidence heading into next year. There is just a bigger reward starting Perry.

The practice observers here and sources within the program don't know what they're looking at and have no idea what Richt looks for. That or Shirreffs ****s down his own leg after any early success.

Shirreffs hurt his hand last year. It was widely reported. That's why his hype tapered off.

If you don't want to believe us, listen to today's Out The Huddle podcast with DJ and Rolle. They were there today. Let me know how many times they mention Rosier.

My pick is Perry and my pick for second is Shirreffs. Maybe I'm wrong. Last time there was a QB battle, I said it was Kaaya from the first practice. The media and conventional wisdom were saying Heaps. We were right. Let's see how it plays out.

As I've said, let the defense go live in scrimmages then make a decision. The fact that Sherrifs looks good in drills is pretty meaningless, given that he has several drawbacks to his game that won't come out until he actually plays a live defense.

If Sherrifs can move the ball against our D, I'll gladly eat my words. I just highly doubt it. Let all 3 guys take reps against the 1st team D, then decide

Advertisement
Back