The truth about Mario

I really can't believe I have to do this.

Over the last two seasons these are Cal's losses:

Nevada
TCU
UCLA
Oregon State
Stanford

These are Cal's wins:

Sacramento State
Oregon

These are Oregon State's losses:

Washington State
Washington
Utah
Stanford
Arizona State
Purdue

These are OSU's wins:

Idaho
Hawaii
Cal
Oregon

Outside of each other Oregon is the only Power 5 win for either team over the last two seasons. Sorry, for Mario those two are the poster kids for inexplicable losses.

Outside of the 15-0 nonsense, this is why people don't respect your posts.

"Over the last two seasons"...bullsh!te. You are talking about SEVEN games for Cal and TEN games for Oregon State, and you are trying to act like both 2020 and 2021 constitute "a season". Or two "seasons". Neither one even constitutes a normal regular season, but you are yapping about "past two seasons" (one of which is currently THREE games in 2021) to try to act like TWO WHOLE OREGON GAMES IN 2020 are supposed to be some referendum on Mario's coaching.

You are a petty selective person who then insults everyone's intelligence by acting like "I really can't believe I have to do this".

But I really can't believe I have to do this.

Again, sticking to the RELEVANT timeframe:

Mario's team beat a RANKED (at the time) Cal team in 2018. On the road. By 18.
Mario's team beat a RANKED-THE-WEEK-BEFORE (at the time) Cal team in 2019. At home. By 10.
Mario's team lost to a PRESEASON-RECEIVING-VOTES Cal team in 2020. On the road. By 4.

For you to cherry-pick SEVEN Cal games (three of which are THIS YEAR) and conclude that they are "not talented" is just a joke. Because Cal clearly has talent. And the 2021 season doesn't matter until Oregon plays Cal. If Oregon loses to Cal on October 15, THEN you can say whatever you want. But until then, it's just insane for you to selectively manipulate the data to make it look as if the loss to Cal was "inexplicable" or "inexcusable". There are literally hundreds of writers and coaches who thought that Cal was one of the top teams in the country in 2018, 2019, and 2020. The results may have turned out differently, but let's not create some fake storyline that Cal was sooooo bad.

As for Oregon State:

Mario's team beat Oregon State in 2018. On the road. By 40.
Mario's team beat Oregon State in 2019. At home. By 14.
Mario's team lost to Oregon State in 2020. On the road. By 3.

Nobody is saying that Oregon State is talented, but that's ONE rivalry game out of three, and the point margin was 3. But, yeah, you're going to act like that is "inexplicable" or "inexcusable". And it's not.

But then again, you aren't being honest in your analysis. You want to ****e on Mario and you are scrounging up every random name like "Sacramento State" to build a false and misleading case against Mario.

Advertisement
I respect your opinion, but where I think your take comes into question is glossing over the OSU win at OSU. That was a big, BIG deal!! And, they didn't win by a couple of lucky calls that went their way; they were clearly the better team. And, they were missing their best player on the entire team. This year's OSU win is a HUGE deal and should've put to bed any concerns about him being good enough.
I would counter that OSU is not an elite team like most years. They will likely drop two more if Stroud and their Secondary don't play better as the season progresses.

I hate post like this w/ no context:

1. Mario took over an Oregon program that Helfrich ran to the ground like Coker did Miami. Before he coached his first game, they were 10-14. First season they go 9-4 & win their first bowl game

2. 2nd yr, wins the PAC-12, and the Rose bowl. Yes they lost two thrillers to #16 Auburn & ASU by a combined 9 points that season, but they also beat #25 U Dub (on the road), #5 Utah in the Pac-12 CCG, and #8 Wisconsin in the RB

3. He went 4-3, but imma be honest, as many ppl have said in the sports world, The Covid season had some good teams look worst than they were & some bad teams look better than they were. At the end of the day, they still won the Pac-12 championship.

Listen, I’m not some huge Mario fan, but clearly he’s improved drastically. I don’t get how some fans can give Lane a pass, albeit he was chit show w/ Tennessee, Raiders, and USC, but ppl on this board who’s in opposition of Mario loooooooooves to bring up FIU. Smh.
Good post.
I'm surprised that someone hasn't brought up the treason topic with Mario bailing on the U job. You probably know why he left for Bama... the story consists of Mario's recruiting strategy, the Athletic director and Al (fear the tie) Golden's spanking paddle... played out like a Jerry Springer show.

"Over the last two seasons"...bullsh!te. You are talking about SEVEN games for Cal and TEN games for Oregon State, and you are trying to act like both 2020 and 2021 constitute "a season". Or two "seasons". Neither one even constitutes a normal regular season, but you are yapping about "past two seasons" (one of which is currently THREE games in 2021) to try to act like TWO WHOLE OREGON GAMES IN 2020 are supposed to be some referendum on Mario's coaching.

You are a petty selective person who then insults everyone's intelligence by acting like "I really can't believe I have to do this".

Mario's team beat a RANKED-THE-WEEK-BEFORE (at the time) Cal team in 2019. At home. By 10.
Mario's team lost to a PRESEASON-RECEIVING-VOTES Cal team in 2020. On the road. By 4.

For you to cherry-pick SEVEN Cal games (three of which are THIS YEAR) and conclude that they are "not talented" is just a joke. Because Cal clearly has talent. And the 2021 season doesn't matter until Oregon plays Cal. If Oregon loses to Cal on October 15, THEN you can say whatever you want. But until then, it's just insane for you to selectively manipulate the data to make it look as if the loss to Cal was "inexplicable" or "inexcusable". There are literally hundreds of writers and coaches who thought that Cal was one of the top teams in the country in 2018, 2019, and 2020. The results may have turned out differently, but let's not create some fake storyline that Cal was sooooo bad.

As for Oregon State:

Nobody is saying that Oregon State is talented, but that's ONE rivalry game out of three, and the point margin was 3. But, yeah, you're going to act like that is "inexplicable" or "inexcusable". And it's not.

But then again, you aren't being honest in your analysis. You want to ****e on Mario and you are scrounging up every random name like "Sacramento State" to build a false and misleading case against mm

As for Oregon State:

But then again, you aren't being honest in your analysis. You want to ****e on Mario and you are scrounging up every random name like "Sacramento State" to build a false and misleading case against Mario.

Imagine a scenario where an undefeated, Top 15 ranked Miami team had a clear path to the ACCCG. To get there we only needed to beat Duke and Georgia Tech, current ACC bottom dwellers, but lost both to end the season. Only to be called out as a guy creating a misleading case.

Mario not withstanding, we need a mercenary who thinks he can come into Miami, build it back up, and move on to the NFL. He wouldn't have to win a NC to impress NFL owners, but restoring The U to no-question ACC/NC contender for a few seasons gets that done.

I think you are describing Lane Kiffin.

Advertisement
I have never been crazy high on Mario.

However, I think Miami is in a life and death situation right now, and Cristobal is good enough to change that internally and externally. My back of the mind fear is that Miami is broken beyond repair and this will be our version of Scott Frost, but I don't think we have the ability to choose out of fear right now. Also, if we are truly that screwed, it doesn't matter who we hire.

What I will agree with is that Mario is not the only one who can fix us, I just think he has the highest chance of giving us the full internal shift we need to have to be saved.
HC isnt key.

AD is.

I want Mario because he can recruit his *** off

2016 - Oregon had 4 wins
2017 - Oregon had 7 wins

Mario took over Oregon in late 2017. He got more wins than Miami with lower recruiting class rankings, and has been out recruiting Miami since he got there

Here's the head to head recruiting class rankings

View attachment 155761

Oregon never had a recruiting class higher than #12 before Mario. So Mario's first 3 recruiting classes are also Oregon's Top 3 recruiting classes ever.

Yall keep spouting off this but not realizing that Oregon previously recruited a specific player type regardless of recruit ranking prior. They honestly couldve had high rankings ...they kind of hit their peak in the years they were in the playoffs.

First time coach who took over an upstart program that won 15 games in its first 5 years. He did win his conference year 4. This is not a knock on Butch Davis. He is year 5 at FIU and has not won his conference. You think FIU is an easy place to win? Should we give a meh to Howard for being 58-74 at FAU?
Yes it should be.
They easily have the most talent in the conference...yearly...and he was owned by FAU.

With 3rd tier s.fla recruits they should win the conference...I know Im n FAU alum. FAU doesnt even recruit as good as FIU does...and still is the better program honestly. He flamed out at FIU and they were headed in the wrong direction.

Advertisement

As for Oregon State:

**** man! Are you Mario's side piece or something?

I know I shouldn't, but is OSU really that good? Day is not Urban and Fields is gone.

I like that Mario knows OLINE play like the back of his hand, which is honestly the biggest reason I want him here.
Do you watch his team play?

Manny isn't in the same stratosphere as Mario, and I don't know why people try to make them out to be the same person. Mario played and coached (Jimmy, Butch, Schiano, Saban) with the best in CFB, winning 3 championships as a player (2) and coach (1).

The only thing they have in common is they're both Cuban football coaches.

As for Oregon State:

not here to argue but I don’t understand the Cal comments

2018 Cal 7-6 (4-5)
2019 Cal 8-5 (4-5)
2020 Cal 1-3 (1-3)

So basically what your saying is the 2018, 2019 wins over Cal were extremely good wins and the 2020 loss to Cal wasn’t that bad because it was a short season?

I think his work at fiu was better than “meh”. When he got there, their lockers were trunks of burned out cars towed from 95.

Advertisement
Do you watch his team play?

Manny isn't in the same stratosphere as Mario, and I don't know why people try to make them out to be the same person. Mario played and coached (Jimmy, Butch, Schiano, Saban) with the best in CFB, winning 3 championships as a player (2) and coach (1).

The only thing they have in common is they're both Cuban football coaches.

Show me at any point in this thread where I compared the two.

If you do find it tell me what you see.

If you choose not to...then ill let you know your reply to me makes zero sense.

People are 1000% eating this game up. Manny’s plan worked I guarantee the noise this morning gets hushed after this win vs a middle school.

Advertisement
He beat a top ten team on the road. A team with more talent than he has. Game, set match.
I believe he also did it without their best player, who is a surefire early first round pick. He's definitely an upgrade over Manny. Is he the one to return us to glory? Not sure.

Yall keep spouting off this but not realizing that Oregon previously recruited a specific player type regardless of recruit ranking prior. They honestly couldve had high rankings ...they kind of hit their peak in the years they were in the playoffs.

Let's not act live Oregon was just consistently passing on 5 star guys because they didn't fit their system.

I'm not calling Mario super man - but he is a great recruiter. When Oregon was at their height around 2010 they were getting recruiting classes around 12-15. Mario has been getting 5-10. It's not a HUGE leap, but it's definitely better. Much like Kirby taking over from Richt, we'll see if the result is better on the field, but their current recruiting (on paper) is the best it's ever been.

He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
Post less

Advertisement
Back