The truth about Mario

Donny Donowitz

Bear ***
He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol

Advertisement
I respect your opinion, but where I think your take comes into question is glossing over the OSU win at OSU. That was a big, BIG deal!! And, they didn't win by a couple of lucky calls that went their way; they were clearly the better team. And, they were missing their best player on the entire team. This year's OSU win is a HUGE deal and should've put to bed any concerns about him being good enough.

He beat a top ten team on the road. A team with more talent than he has. Game, set match.
That last bit is the most important part and highlights yet again how winning in CFB isn't ONLY about recruiting like some on here would have you believe.

In fact, with Howell leaving UNC after this year, if we got a good coach and convinced most of our talented guys to stay, we could and should win at least the Coastal next year with this roster mostly in tact. Coaching is not everything, but it's the biggest part of the equation.

Advertisement
I respect your opinion, but where I think your take comes into question is glossing over the OSU win at OSU. That was a big, BIG deal!! And, they didn't win by a couple of lucky calls that went their way; they were clearly the better team. And, they were missing their best player on the entire team. This year's OSU win is a HUGE deal and should've put to bed any concerns about him being good enough.

I know I shouldn't, but is OSU really that good? Day is not Urban and Fields is gone.

I like that Mario knows OLINE play like the back of his hand, which is honestly the biggest reason I want him here.

I think we’re just craving a real head coach. Mario has demonstrated growth as a head coach imo with an appreciable upward trajectory. He’s far from perfect but he can prepare his teams to play and play competitively. Manny( like Shannon) is not head coach material. He’s a slightly above average defensive coordinator at best.

I think we’re just craving a real head coach. Mario has demonstrated growth as a head coach imo with an appreciable upward trajectory. He’s far from perfect but he can prepare his teams to play and play competitively. Manny( like Shannon) is not head coach material. He’s a slightly above average defensive coordinator at best.
Perfectly stated!

Fair enough. I can roll with this explanation.

Advertisement

Was very meh at FIU.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

He's worth the hype because he is an elite recruiter and if he was in S Fl he could put up a recruiting wall around Miami. Elite recruits+elite S&C+practices that are tougher than games= an absolute cakewalk through the ACC coastal. That's what it all comes down to, IMO.

I was anti-Mario in the past but coming around to him. He’s taken the right steps to prove himself and not sure if there’s anyone out there better than him that 1) would want to come here 2) our admin would entertain.

He’s respected as a leader/disciplinary, learned under 2 goats, and has built a solid program at Oregon. He’d build our OL and recruit his *** off.

They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.
But they already have injuries. Flowe is out for the year and their Top 5 pick DL is hurt. Plus their QB is very meh. They’re ahead of schedule this year. Undefeated or bust is NOT the expectation there this year.

Advertisement
If I’m being real I don’t think Mario is amazing or anything but I think he is competent which Miami haven’t had here in a while outside of the first two years with Richt and that’s debatable. I think he could at least stabilize the program and give the program some creditably. I know we would still drop some games every year we shouldn’t but he could at least get Miami to 9-3/10-2 every year which would be huge for the program.

I know I shouldn't, but is OSU really that good? Day is not Urban and Fields is gone.

I like that Mario knows OLINE play like the back of his hand, which is honestly the biggest reason I want him here.
The last stat on overall team recruiting and rosters had BAMA as the most talented and OSU as #2. Oregon isn't anywhere close to that. They played against a physically superior team, at their place, without the only elite defensive player they have on their roster and they won that game in a solid manner. They didn't blow them out, but anyone watching could see which team was the better one.

Yeah, back up the Brinks truck and bring Mario and Mrs. Mario back to the 305 and do so pronto!!

Advertisement
But they already have injuries. Flowe is out for the year and their Top 5 pick DL is hurt. Plus their QB is very meh. They’re ahead of schedule this year. Undefeated or bust is NOT the expectation there this year.
Go look at the schedule and tell me who should beat them lol

Was very meh at FIU.

Have you not watched the type of talent he gets at Oregon. This makes more sense for Mario 3+ years ago, he gets better every year

Was very meh at FIU.

Oh, thank goodness it's just this tired nonsense again.

I was worried you were going to tell us he was Puerto Rican, not Cuban...

Advertisement
Back