The truth about Mario

If you put Saban or Meyer in Miami, would they be able to turn Miami into national champions within 3 years? As long as the answer remains yes, I will continue to believe that Miami is a head coach away from being a contender again. Now obviously those two aren't realistic possibilities so then the quesiton is whether any other coach would ever be able to rise to their level.

I know I may sound like a crazy person, but with Cristobal/Kiffin I see parallels of Saban/Meyer in terms of how each approaches the game. Cristobal is the culture guy, Kiffin is the scheme guy. I'd be happy with either.
With a real coach, you would win the corstal in the 1st year, win a bowl game second year, win the ACC 3rd year, and make playoff final appearance in the 4th year. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Advertisement
He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol

Not for nothing, but he did more with FIU than Butch the Gawwwd

I respect your opinion, but where I think your take comes into question is glossing over the OSU win at OSU. That was a big, BIG deal!! And, they didn't win by a couple of lucky calls that went their way; they were clearly the better team. And, they were missing their best player on the entire team. This year's OSU win is a HUGE deal and should've put to bed any concerns about him being good enough.
They were missing 5 def starters including keyvon and flowe

Advertisement
I want Mario because he can recruit his *** off

2016 - Oregon had 4 wins
2017 - Oregon had 7 wins

Mario took over Oregon in late 2017. He got more wins than Miami with lower recruiting class rankings, and has been out recruiting Miami since he got there

Here's the head to head recruiting class rankings

1632504649228.png

Oregon never had a recruiting class higher than #12 before Mario. So Mario's first 3 recruiting classes are also Oregon's Top 3 recruiting classes ever.

Last edited:
You can’t look at results alone when hiring somebody. Wins and losses are a flawed metric to a certain degree. You have to watch the games and see how his team approaches and plays the game. You want someone who can lead, instill toughness, recruit, and hire good coaches around him. Knowing he takes Mirabal with him is something that can’t be overstated. Mario checks off boxes that nobody else we could realistically hire, does.

Coming off the win against OSU, Mario's stock is higher than it has ever been. Possibly higher than it ever will be. I predict he will lose some head scratchers this year, and then we'll see how much the fans and Oregon wants him.

Mario is much better than what we have now, but I would hate to bankrupt the program like Taggart did with FSU. Norvell is not getting fired this year, as much as fans scream bloody murder. The reason being, $$$$.

Interview a list of candidates. Have him vetted by alumni that understand the weaknesses of the program. This was done with Richt, and we won our first division title.

Advertisement
Mario's FIU period isn't relevant.

Has he a few upset losses at Oregon? Yes, but upsets in conference play aren't as unusual as you'd think.

Pete Carroll lost six PAC12 games to unranked opponents when USC was ranked in the Top 5. He lost at home ranked #1 as a 41-point favorite to pre-Andrew Luck Stanford. Meyer's last two B1G losses were so bad (49-20 to Purdue, 55-24 to Iowa, both unranked) Ohio State failed to make the playoffs his last two seasons as HC.

No, Mario is not Carroll or Meyer, yet, and he is not a perfect HC.

But IMO at this time he is the perfect HC for Miami.

Advertisement
Mario isn't a world beater. But, could he build a successful program and does he have enough pull to get admin (Boosters, BOT, etc) to invest and care about this program.... YES!

I believe Mario gets us the kind of success we expected with Manny. With our recruiting base alone, we should win the coastal easily. Mario can do that!

Can he win us a Natty?? I honestly don't know. He's about to take Oregon to the playoffs, barring some upset. That's impressive! What's more impressive, to me, is that he lands recruits who big time schools save up for! That's extremely impressive in today's CFB.

Was very meh at FIU.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

2017: 7-6 (4-5) under Taggart; Mario coached bowl loss
2018: 9-4 (5-4) won bowl game
2019: 12-2 (8-1), Pac 12 Conference Champs, Rose Bowl Champs
2020: 4-3 (3-2), Pac 12 Conference Champs
2021: 3-0

28-10 and moving their program forward. Mentored by Saban.

Was very meh at FIU.

michael jackson halloween GIF by Vevo

This should be good....

Advertisement
2017: 7-6 (4-5) under Taggart; Mario coached bowl loss
2018: 9-4 (5-4) won bowl game
2019: 12-2 (8-1), Pac 12 Conference Champs, Rose Bowl Champs
2020: 4-3 (3-2), Pac 12 Conference Champs
2021: 3-0

28-10 and moving their program forward. Mentored by Saban.

Mentored by Saban means jack****

He’s had way more HC flameouts in his coaching tree than most

What did you expect, based off your garbage first post? We have been discussing (for weeks) Mario's FIU situation, the time he spent working with Saban, and his subsequent performance at Oregon, but you think that your post broke new ground and required substantial discussion?

Hilarious.
Just because you post here a lot doesn't mean you have any pull. Half of your takes are hot garbage and I don't comment on them. Why couldn't you do the same you miserable fool.

Mario's FIU period isn't relevant.

Has he a few upset losses at Oregon? Yes, but upsets in conference play aren't as unusual as you'd think.

Pete Carroll lost six PAC12 games to unranked opponents when USC was ranked in the Top 5. He lost at home ranked #1 as a 41-point favorite to pre-Andrew Luck Stanford. Meyer's last two B1G losses were so bad (49-20 to Purdue, 55-24 to Iowa, both unranked) Ohio State failed to make the playoffs his last two seasons as HC.

No, Mario is not Carroll or Meyer, yet, and he is not a perfect HC.

But IMO at this time he is the perfect HC for Miami.
Its not relevant???? That's a new one, lmaoooooo. Let's ignore five years of his career because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Advertisement
Back