The truth about Mario

Advertisement
He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
He's better than Diaz and know it takes talent to win. Right now what choice do we have?

They would take a 5'8 175pd speedster from Fla with track speed. I know exactly what they were doing recruiting wise. HE IS A GOOD RECRUITER.

But the reason there classes have rated higher coincides with USC being down and him grabbing one or 2 OL rated higher. Thibadeaux was a real grab...and to a lesser extent Flowe.

But acting like he would be able to LOCK down S.fla or recruit.... soooo much better as the HC here would be exaggerating a little bit imo. Oregon is essentially fighting against 1 or 2 teams max out west for big dogs.

But Oregon was down when Mario took over. They had 4 & 7 wins the 2 previous seasons he took over. USC won 10 & 11 games the 2 seasons before Mario took over.

And because Oregon took 1 small South Florida speedster in Sumler - that doesn't mean that was the only type they were recruiting in the early 2010's.

I don't think Mario can lock down all of South Florida, nor does he need to IMO. If he can just keep 1 of the top South Florida playmakers at Miami each year - an Amari Cooper, or Dalvin Cook, Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley, etc - over 3-4 years that stacks up and makes a difference.

If in the camp that a great recruiter is more important than a great coach - this is the way I felt when Richt came here to. That way if he falls short, at least we're stocked with talent and more appealing for the next coach. We won't be the same level rebuild that we are now.

Last edited:
He likely wants back into the NFL. I assume, because of his background as an NFL HC and how quickly he jumped from Penn State. And, I think once a coach has a taste of the NFL life they want to stay. Not always, but I’ll wager most.

O’Brien would be short term. But if he turned Miami into a ACC champion it would be worth as he laid the foundation for his successor.

Allen got his start as a football coach in Tampa high schools (Temple Heights and Armwood). Served a sentence of one (1) as DC for USF.
Yeah not sure why people think O’Brien would be an option.

Just look at Daboll for a similar path. He was Alabama OC for one year and then went to Bills as OC. I bet same thing happens with O’Brien.

Advertisement
He likely wants back into the NFL. I assume, because of his background as an NFL HC and how quickly he jumped from Penn State. And, I think once a coach has a taste of the NFL life they want to stay. Not always, but I’ll wager most.

O’Brien would be short term. But if he turned Miami into a ACC champion it would be worth as he laid the foundation for his successor.

Allen got his start as a football coach in Tampa high schools (Temple Heights and Armwood). Served a sentence of one (1) as DC for USF.
I want an offensive mind as hc

bill-obrien-alabama-oc-1610646035.png

Allen-quote.jpg

Im officially done with hiring ppl that are part of the Cane Tree....which eliminated Mario Cristobal for me.
I really like Tom Allen. My three choices in order are:
1) Mario
2) Tom Allen
3) Dan Quinn (DC at Dallas, former DC at Seattle, former Falcons HC). At least worth a phone call.

But Oregon was down when Mario took over. They had 4 & 7 wins the 2 previous seasons he took over. USC won 10 & 11 games the 2 seasons before Mario took over.

And because Oregon took 1 small South Florida speedster in Sumler - that doesn't mean that was the only type they were recruiting in the early 2010's.

I don't think Mario can lock down all of South Florida, nor does he need to IMO. If he can just keep 1 of the top South Florida playmakers at Miami each year - an Amari Cooper, or Dalvin Cook, Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley, etc - over 3-4 years that stacks up and makes a difference.

If in the camp that a great recruiter is more important than a great coach - this is the way I felt when Richt came here to. That way if he falls short, at least we're stocked with talent and more appealing for the next coach. We won't be the same level rebuild that we are now.

Im not even talkin about Sumler.

Man i follow recruiting more than most on here. They recruited a specific type...regardless of rankings. When Mario came their board open more as he brought in some of the Bama recruiting motto ( Mass offers to every 4 and 5 stars in the country), and actually added some of the southern regions that they didnt tap that he had relations with including Florida ( though they still dont land much down here).Oregon recruited a specific type of OL...they would recruit smaller, more athletic guys because of the type of offense they ran, etc.

I diasagree with you on being here...A great developer and organizer would be more important than a great recruiter. I use to think the way you did previously but once you realize you NEVER will lock up south florida or even keep more than 30% of the elites from here then you realize what you have. Classes like what Manny has landed the last 2 are how you win here with DEVELOPMENT. I dont know how many times it has to be said by me and @DMoney ....WIN and they will come.
What recruiting 500 5 star and 4 star DB's have gotten FSU?.

Advertisement
He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
I don’t look at him like he’s an elite Xs and Os coach but the stuff he would bring here are immensely better for manny and he will build a great culture here

Im not even talkin about Sumler.

Man i follow recruiting more than most on here. They recruited a specific type...regardless of rankings. When Mario came their board open more as he brought in some of the Bama recruiting motto ( Mass offers to every 4 and 5 stars in the country), and actually added some of the southern regions that they didnt tap that he had relations with including Florida ( though they still dont land much down here).Oregon recruited a specific type of OL...they would recruit smaller, more athletic guys because of the type of offense they ran, etc.

I diasagree with you on being here...A great developer and organizer would be more important than a great recruiter. I use to think the way you did previously but once you realize you NEVER will lock up south florida or even keep more than 30% of the elites from here then you realize what you have. Classes like what Manny has landed the last 2 are how you win here with DEVELOPMENT. I dont know how many times it has to be said by me and @DMoney ....WIN and they will come.
What recruiting 500 5 star and 4 star DB's have gotten FSU?.

Well regardless of the reasons - Mario is on track to land his 4th class in a row in the 5-10 range. To me, that's impressive. Could he do that at Miami? Who knows. But Mario feels like a much better, higher % bet to do it than the past coaches we've had.

The "development" thing - I know it's important, but I also can't ever good a good answer on what it even means. Example - Greg Rousseau was a 3 Star who became a 1st round pick. Now how much of that was due to coaching/development, and how much is on the player? Mark Pope was a 5 Star bust - but how much of that is on the coaches, and how much is on the player?

"Development" seems like such a gray area for me whenever I hear it being discussed.

Well regardless of the reasons - Mario is on track to land his 4th class in a row in the 5-10 range. To me, that's impressive. Could he do that at Miami? Who knows. But Mario feels like a much better, higher % bet to do it than the past coaches we've had.

The "development" thing - I know it's important, but I also can't ever good a good answer on what it even means. Example - Greg Rousseau was a 3 Star who became a 1st round pick. Now how much of that was due to coaching/development, and how much is on the player? Mark Pope was a 5 Star bust - but how much of that is on the coaches, and how much is on the player?

"Development" seems like such a gray area for me whenever I hear it being discussed.
Greg Rousseau was developed in ways that allowed him to have **** near 20 sacks and sit out a szn. I'd say thats on the coaches. Because he came here as a kid that didnt even play with his hand in the dirt and looked like a freak of nature by the summer of his fresh year.

Mark Pope has been put in position to succeed and shouldnt have been a 5 star in the 1st place. I for one clowned his hs stats from day 1.

Its a gray area i get but its been a huge problem for us guys not getting to that next level for whatever reason. For all the hoopla for Mario's recruiting...Mannny is right there with him sooooo...( and thats with us losing out on a sh*t ton of elite local players) Oregon aint having the same type of recruiting battles out west...they ARE the IT school out west currently.

Manny isnt that far off in recruiting rankins than Mario and thats with us being sh*tty in the cesspool known as recruiting in south florida. The last 2 Um classes im a fan of alot.

Advertisement
Greg Rousseau was developed in ways that allowed him to have **** near 20 sacks and sit out a szn. I'd say thats on the coaches. Because he came here as a kid that didnt even play with his hand in the dirt and looked like a freak of nature by the summer of his fresh year.

Mark Pope has been put in position to succeed and shouldnt have been a 5 star in the 1st place. I for one clowned his hs stats from day 1.

Its a gray area i get but its been a huge problem for us guys not getting to that next level for whatever reason. For all the hoopla for Mario's recruiting...Mannny is right there with him sooooo...( and thats with us losing out on a sh*t ton of elite local players) Oregon aint having the same type of recruiting battles out west...they ARE the IT school out west currently.

Manny isnt that far off in recruiting rankins than Mario and thats with us being sh*tty in the cesspool known as recruiting in south florida. The last 2 Um classes im a fan of alot.
True. But Mario has landed/developed better lineman and linebackers

I agree Manny's last 2 classes haven't been far behind Mario.

The difference being Mario currently has the #3 ranked team and #7 ranked class while Manny has an unranked team with the #44 ranked class (yikes). So this might be where the road forks.

I'm with you that I'm tired of lazily hiring from the "Miami Tree". Mario is my one exception. And Bill O'Brien as you suggested is a great candidate. But I'm really skeptical we could realistically get either. I've been saying this for a while - but I think there's a gap between who we "think" we can get, and who we can "actually" get.

Advertisement
I agree Manny's last 2 classes haven't been far behind Mario.

The difference being Mario currently has the #3 ranked team and #7 ranked class while Manny has an unranked team with the #44 ranked class (yikes). So this might be where the road forks.

I'm with you that I'm tired of lazily hiring from the "Miami Tree". Mario is my one exception. And Bill O'Brien as you suggested is a great candidate. But I'm really skeptical we could realistically get either. I've been saying this for a while - but I think there's a gap between who we "think" we can get, and who we can "actually" get.
Yup thats where ima t and we will see how the rest of the szn goes and recruiting goes.

Yea dont think Obrien is in play...but Allen from Indiana we definately could scrap if we can Manny.

I'm a huge Mario fan.

I even wanted him over CMR back in 2015.

With that said, have we not learned anything if we don't take our time, do a thorough search and interview all candidates this next time around?

Absolutely, Mario should be at the top of the list of candidates. But does anyone else not see the hypocrisy behind screaming at Blake James for hiring Manny and not interviewing anyone else, to only turn around and fire Manny and just hire Mario while also not interviewing any other candidates?
Same here. Was a student at FIU while Mario was the coach. Also wanted him over CMR even though I think CMR was the right coach for the right time. People forget he was also the one that designed most of the IPF for Georgia and it was finished just as he left to Miami.

I mostly agree with you on the coaching search portion except, hasn’t Mario been interviewed at least once before and has been the unofficial top candidate for a while now? Everyone has kinda been like “well Mario makes sense because of the connection to Miami and his pedigree and all this but we don’t know if he can really do it at a high level”. I think that doubt has been answered for the most part. He’s had top recruiting classes even after being in the Northern West Coast, an area he’s far less familiar with than the southeast especially SoFla. Obviously the PAC 12 titles and the success this year but his teams play tough, gritty, fast. We don’t. That’s why I feel like you make Mario your first choice, officially. Go at him with everything. And then have your coaching search for the next guys if Mario says no.

The big reason most people talk bad about Blake is because he had no coaching search and rushed to pay a 4 million dollar buy out for a guy that had never been a HC, was hired by temple, and who’s defenses have always been feast or famine.

Advertisement
Back