The truth about Mario

He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
If Oregon doesn't run the table, you think that Mario isn't a good coach? Setting that bar a bit high, no?

Advertisement
Perhaps. I'm of the belief coaches that taste the NFL want to go back to the NFL for another opportunity at the HC job.

Is this an issue? A HC at Miami whose goal was the NFL isn't likely to coddle players or accept ****-poor assistants. He took a job working for Saban. One could extrapolate this into improving Miami enought impress NFL owners. He wouldn't have to win a NC, just turn around the program 'enough'. And hiring O'Brien means adults are running show, so they might find a quality replacement if they needed to hire another HC in 2025.

Would not be the worst case scenario.

I think he left a sour taste in NFL execs mouth because of how bad of a GM he is. Luckily we wont need him for that at the U.

I agree with the adults running the show thing....I just all business..no more of this fake flash ****.

If Oregon doesn't run the table, you think that Mario isn't a good coach? Setting that bar a bit high, no?

I think he's not elite, or deserving of elite money if he doesn't win out yes. That schedule remaining is cupcakes. We talk about him being always prepared, but he's floundered in the past. I want him to prove it wont happen again before backing up the brinks.

Agreed. I just wanted to be very clear, I do believe that even a green, brand-new Mario improved upon what Strock left him at FIU.

And he has definitely solidified Oregon after the smoke-and-mirrors Taggart.

You could find reasons not to hire any coach if you looked hard enough. Here's a fun read:

"Dean drew fire for spending so much money to hire a coach whose record at MSU (34-24-1) was virtually the same as DiNardo's at LSU (32-24-1). But experience is expensive. Saban had proved he could rebuild in a competitive conference, restoring State's respectability in the rugged Big Ten after George Perles had left a probation-riddled mess."

Mario has shown he can rebuild a team in a P5 conference and restore a program to respectability. Even with his embarrassing losses (Ore St, etc), Oregon reputation has soared since the Taggart and Helfrich days.

Advertisement
You could find reasons not to hire any coach if you looked hard enough. Here's a fun read:

"Dean drew fire for spending so much money to hire a coach whose record at MSU (34-24-1) was virtually the same as DiNardo's at LSU (32-24-1). But experience is expensive. Saban had proved he could rebuild in a competitive conference, restoring State's respectability in the rugged Big Ten after George Perles had left a probation-riddled mess."

Mario has shown he can rebuild a team in a P5 conference and restore a program to respectability. Even with his embarrassing losses (Ore St, etc), Oregon reputation has soared since the Taggart and Helfrich days.

Yall are talking about Oregon as if they were some bottom feeder team. from 2009-2014 they were the It team in the Pac-12.

Miami hasn't been the It team since the early 2000's

Its why the Gators are still somewhat relevant as well. Kids saw them win.

FSU is just an anomaly of disaster lol

He sucked in the NFL...every coach has flaws. I just look at the ones that hit directly in the face. Mario is Mark Richt 2.0 and we all hated that experiment.
OP - noted on Mario. Please, lay out your plan for whom would be a good coach to elevate Miami since you feel Mario is not the best answer out there.

Yall are talking about Oregon as if they were some bottom feeder team. from 2009-2014 they were the It team in the Pac-12.

Miami was front page news in 2017. Maybe the hottest program in the country. Ranked #2 going into Pitt. Everyone in the country knew about the chain and even NFL teams were copying us. And that wasn't even a particularly good team.

Advertisement
And his coaching tree he produced Mike Vrabel.

Fell under Bill Bellicheck and now Saban.

Checks a lot of boxes...was a proven recruiter even when Penn State should have died.

Probably costs us 1/2 of what Mario would (with the buyout)
I've got no problem whatsoever with O'Brien. He really is an NFL guy and he is a little salty on what went down in Houston. Let's say we hire him. He is more than likely would be out of Miami in 2 years back to the NFL.

I find it really interesting to read all the stuff that LSU fans were saying about Saban when he was hired. He was not popular.

From tigerdroppings:

“In ’94, when they hired DiNardo, the fans had a clear-cut favorite. They wanted Mack Brown,” said Hanagriff, speaking of the North Carolina coach who is now at Texas.

“There was no front-runner in ’99. There was nobody out there they really got behind and said, `This is our guy.' ”

Joe Dean needed help. He hired two headhunters: Chuck Neinas, the former Big 8 commissioner and executive director of the American College Football Association, and Gil Brandt, the Dallas Cowboys’ vice president of player personnel from 1960-89.

“Nick basically got the job by default,” Dean said. “We didn’t have a leading candidate.”

In other words, LSU got lucky.

Really lucky.

Sell-the-ranch lucky.

Championship lucky.

On Nov. 30, 1999, Saban, tired and unemotional delivered his first speech at LSU. Then he answered reporters’ questions with all the flare (sic) and passion of aluminum siding.

Almost immediately, the second-guessing began.

What about his so-so record at Michigan State?

What about his repeated flirtations with NFL jobs?

Is he really a players’ coach?

Why doesn’t he smile?

He isn't worth all the hype being given out.

Was very meh at FIU.

2018 9-4 with wins over Bowling Green, Portland State, and San Jose State.

2019 being his best year lost to Auburn and Arizona State. Did beat Wisconsin, so I like that since we can never beat them.

2020 Went 4-3 in the Pac-12. Lost to Oregon State, Cal, and Iowa State. 2 of those losses are very Manny Like.

Not saying he isn't better than Manny, because he is. But I'm not ready to crown him until I see how the rest of this year plays out. They have a very favorable schedule post Ohio State so IMO anything less than running the table for them is a failure unless Injury.

Neg vote away Mario lovers lol
Mario is overrated but he's about 5 times the HC Manny is. Here's my HC board.

1st - PJ Fleck
2nd - Bill O Brien
3rd - Joe Brady
4th - Greg Schiano
5th - Mario
If Hugh Freeze was an option then he would definitely be Top 5 on my list

I've got no problem whatsoever with O'Brien. He really is an NFL guy and he is a little salty on what went down in Houston. Let's say we hire him. He is more than likely would be out of Miami in 2 years back to the NFL.
If that happens then he turned Miami around and left the program a **** of a lot better then he found it

Advertisement
Sorry got them backwards. Cal was winless and Oregon State's only other win was Cal

And I’m pretty sure using Covid as an excuse in 2020 gets you labeled a slurper here.

Fresno State is an example of a near miss to a vastly inferior team.

Cal was 1-3. To call them "winless" is, again, complete wackiness given Covid and small sample size.

As I have consistently pointed out, Covid is not being used as an "excuse", but to point out that the entire 2020 season produced bizarre outcomes that were based IN PART on factors that have never before impacted college football (unless there were a bunch of games cancelled in 1919 for the Spanish Flu that I am not aware of).

You are consistently limiting arguments that HURT your conclusion, while generalizing arguments that you think HELP your conclusion. You will only talk about "losses" to Cal and Oregon State, while ignoring factors such as location, margin of victory, and schedule changes (and that's before anyone even mentions players missing games due to, you know, actual Covid and contact-tracing).

It is simply the height of oversimplication to base your entire argument on 2 games in a FIVE GAME regular season. By your logic, I should be OVER-EMPHASIZING the fact that Oregon beat UNDEFEATED #13 USC IN LOS ANGELES to win the Pac 12 championship for the second year in a row. I mean, why can't I turn ONE GAME into some sort of career-defining quality, when you are turning TWO GAMES into some sort of a reason not to hire Mario?

Although I guess I could cite the Ohio Taint game too, and say that TWO huge victories over ranked teams are a bigger deal than 2 single-digit conference road losses during the Covid season?

Last edited:
We should't be focused on hiring a lifer this go around.

Schnelly had a five-year plan, hit his goal, and bolted for a new league. Jimmy took the job because he thought he would win big and make a jump to the NFL, and he did. Erickson likely had NFL aspirations, and split when given an opportunity (avoiding pending NCAA stuff). Butch left after financial disagreements, but I think his return to the NFL (won 3 SBs as staff) would have been inevitable.

Mario not withstanding, we need a mercenary who thinks he can come into Miami, build it back up, and move on to the NFL. He wouldn't have to win a NC to impress NFL owners, but restoring The U to no-question ACC/NC contender for a few seasons gets that done.

Advertisement

And, for a while, F$U was the "It Team". But they are currently a bottom feeder, and whoever F$U hires to replace Norvell will face a significant rebuilding job. So give Mario a bit of credit, maybe Oregon hasn't been bad-for-20-years bad, but Mario had work to do.

And let's also not pretend that Miami wasn't ranked as high as #2 as recently as 2017.

A lot of Bama people think Mario will be Saban's replacement. Call me simple, but if he is good enough to be at the top of that list, he is good enough for me at Miami.

I was not a Mario fan back in 2016 before we hired Richt, but what I've seen out of him from Oregon has me believing he would bring stability to this program and would have us consistently going to Charlotte. Maybe he never takes up to the next level where we truly are a title contender, but if he has us winning 10+ every year and being competitive in Charlotte then that's a major step forward for a program that's been mediocre and irrelevant for 15 years now.

Cal was 1-3. To call them "winless" is, again, complete wackiness given Covid and small sample size.

As I have consistently pointed out, Covid is not being used as an "excuse", but to point out that the entire 2020 season produced bizarre outcomes that were based IN PART on factors that have never before impacted college football (unless there were a bunch of games cancelled in 1919 for the Spanish Flu that I am not aware of).

You are consistently limiting arguments that HURT your conclusion, while generalizing arguments that you think HELP your conclusion. You will only talk about "losses" to Cal and Oregon State, while ignoring factors such as location, margin of victory, and schedule changes (and that's before anyone even mentions players missing games due to, you know, actual Covid and contact-tracing).

It is simply the height of oversimplication to base your entire argument on 2 games in a FIVE GAME regular season. By your logic, I should be OVER-EMPHASIZING the fact that Oregon beat UNDEFEATED #13 USC IN LOS ANGELES to win the Pac 12 championship for the second year in a row. I mean, why can't I turn ONE GAME into some sort of career-defining quality, when you are turning TWO GAMES into some sort of a reason not to hire Mario?

Although I guess I could cite the Ohio Taint game too, and say that TWO huge victories over ranked teams are a bigger deal than 2 single-digit conference road losses during the Covid season?

I really can't believe I have to do this.

Over the last two seasons these are Cal's losses:

Nevada
TCU
UCLA
Oregon State
Stanford

These are Cal's wins:

Sacramento State
Oregon

These are Oregon State's losses:

Washington State
Washington
Utah
Stanford
Arizona State
Purdue

These are OSU's wins:

Idaho
Hawaii
Cal
Oregon

Outside of each other Oregon is the only Power 5 win for either team over the last two seasons. Sorry, for Mario those two are the poster kids for inexplicable losses.

I hate post like this w/ no context:

1. Mario took over an Oregon program that Helfrich ran to the ground like Coker did Miami. Before he coached his first game, they were 10-14. First season they go 9-4 & win their first bowl game

2. 2nd yr, wins the PAC-12, and the Rose bowl. Yes they lost two thrillers to #16 Auburn & ASU by a combined 9 points that season, but they also beat #25 U Dub (on the road), #5 Utah in the Pac-12 CCG, and #8 Wisconsin in the RB

3. He went 4-3, but imma be honest, as many ppl have said in the sports world, The Covid season had some good teams look worst than they were & some bad teams look better than they were. At the end of the day, they still won the Pac-12 championship.

Listen, I’m not some huge Mario fan, but clearly he’s improved drastically. I don’t get how some fans can give Lane a pass, albeit he was chit show w/ Tennessee, Raiders, and USC, but ppl on this board who’s in opposition of Mario loooooooooves to bring up FIU. Smh.

Advertisement
Back