The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the more interesting fact is that LSU had the very same talent the year before Brady was hired to update the playbook. Same QB, WR's and RB's and they managed only 17 passing TDs. With Brady adding new passing concepts and calling plays in the red zone passing yardage increased from 2970 to 6024 yards and passing TD's from 17 to 61.
No one is question what he did at LSU. Why didnt he replicate it Carolina. If people cant give credit to LSU talent, why should be blame Carolina personnel?

Advertisement
My opinion only - we are going to have to take a reclamation project or up and coming guy in the position due to Mario’s burgeoning reputation as an offensive dumpster heap. I will count us lucky (and confirmed how well funded we are) if we can get an experienced P5 OC that’s good
This is a nonsense narrative driven by a few people on here. Money talks and all that other nonsense walks.

No thanks on both Scott Frost and Joe Brady. Never been particularly impressed with Frost, and Joe Brady is unproven plain and simple. One year of success as a passing game coordinator at LSU is not enough to take a shot on him. Especially considering he hates recruiting.

Advertisement
I think Arroyo and Rees would be worse than Frost.

Mullet’s probably the best of that group and that weirdo turned down Saban apparently so I’m not seeing him take an OC job with us. Can someone tell me what I’m missing there? Saban Rehab is the premier landing spot. Why would Mullen turn Nicky down and then come work under Mario???
ZomboMeme 30012023120530.jpg

Whether we hire the sexiest name or James Coley, I’ll have the exact same level of excitement. Prove you can get it done.
Facts. Dont care about what they did anywhere else. Coach after coach come here and totally fail to transfer whatever they are teaching to our players. Then its blame game, players vs coach.

Mullet’s probably the best of that group and that weirdo turned down Saban apparently so I’m not seeing him take an OC job with us. Can someone tell me what I’m missing there? Saban Rehab is the premier landing spot. Why would Mullen turn Nicky down and then come work under Mario???
Because Mrs. Mullen wants to get her hands on one of us hot Latin Lovers... MUY CALIENTE!!!

rico GIF

Advertisement

Mullen may hate Satan. Mullen doesn't need the money and perhaps the thought of working for Saban just made him heave. There are other ways to get resurrected.

I agree with what ur saying, and I understand, but I’m about desperate right now… just to see a competent offense on the field. I know I sound like an Auburn or a USCe fan right now. Fucc man, I just want to win. I’m willing to take chances.
Man I am with you. It has been 20 years of "can you imagine X guy with South Florida athletes, it would be video game numbers." I want video game numbers.

I saw that guy on here posted about going to dinner with a Nebraska booster that said it was not true or exaggerated. I am certainly not doubting him. I was not there. But I don't know. That would be a quick way to have a massive lawsuit.

I could also be imagining this part, but for some reason I remember hearing Frost hates Miami given our history with Nebraska. Of course, the last couple of year, being fired and our OC budget could change someone's opinion quickly.

Related/unrelated, it made me think when I started law school at UM, they had some guy come in to speak about substance abuse in lawyers. His story was he was a bigshot lawyer in Boston back in the 70s/80s, developed a couple of addictions with what was around at the time, and came down to South Florida for rehab. And I remember sitting there thinking who in their right mind that was addicted to coke and alcohol would have come to Miami in the 80s to get clean. Anyhow, coaches are about as equally high strung.

I’m unbiased, just looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on Shannon Dawson from Houston, who came up under Hal Mumme at Kentucky

giphy.gif

He wasn’t with Hal at Kentucky though, he started out with him at Southeastern Louisiana & followed him to New Mexico ST, then he was OC at Stephen F Austin under JC Harper, that’s where Dana Holgorsen found him & then brought him into West VA.

He was only at Kentucky for a year with Stoops & then Stoops fired him because they went 5-7 & Stoops was feeling some heat on the verge of being on the Hot-seat because he had been under .500 for his first 3 seasons, plus that wasn’t the style of Offense he wanted to run anyway.

He bounced back after successful tints at Southern Miss & Houston (reuniting with Holgorsen).

IMO would do very well here, but don’t think for a second he would ever get hired.

Advertisement
Klein would be a good spark. K-State's offense looked good no matter who the QB was.

I've said it before, but Bryan Ellis at Georgia Southern would be a good fit. Cut his teeth at Western Kentucky and UCSw too.
I have Ellis on my list of relatively unknown OCs that we could look at too, but I have an issue with the fact that Tyson Helton demoted him. He was apart of a good Ga southern offense but I think that might just be helton’s offense

Time allocation is important when trying to mobilize schemes and concepts.

This is why I prefer someone in the college ranks that has shown the ability to translate to college players what they are trying to accomplish.

giphy.gif

He wasn’t with Hal at Kentucky though, he started out with him at Southeastern Louisiana & followed him to New Mexico ST, then he was OC at Stephen F Austin under JC Harper, that’s where Dana Holgorsen found him & then brought him into West VA.

He was only at Kentucky for a year with Stoops & then Stoops fired him because they went 5-7 & he was feeling some heat on the verge of being on the Hot-seat because he had been under .500 for his first 3 seasons, plus that wasn’t the style of Offense he wanted to run anyway.

He bounced back after successful tints at Southern Miss & Houston (reuniting with Holgorsen).

IMO would do very well here, but don’t think for a second he would ever get hired.
Shannon Dawson is an interesting name. I’d like to see him successful at another stop without holgorson tho if we were to get him.

Advertisement
I'm at the point where I genuinely feel that people on here ignore posts on purpose just to be able to spew their weird information.

For the 100th time, none of the names demonstrated any evidence that they would become what they became until Brady arrived.

For the 1000th time, LSU never even came remotely close to their success that they had with Brady. Neither before, nor afterwards. They didn't even run the same stuff again. So stop pretending that people aren't aware of what happened subsequently when you blatantly ignore it on purpose.
Relax. It was a question prompted by my curiosity. I am not leading the anti-Joe-Brady train nor do I review every post on this board in any way related to him. History says that there are a lot of coaches that look really good with certain talent and then not so good when the talent isn't equal. Case in point-Jimbo. No one can dispute that Brady has done nothing remarkable or equivalent since the 2019 season.

If its not Mullen i would definitely prefer someone from the NFL. Used to dealing with grown men who make more money than he does. I want someone who can communicate and hold people to account. Someone Cristobal doesnt have to wonder if he meeting with the QB or position coaches. Whatever **** scheme they run

Every OC is going to come with some kind of question mark or caveat. Mario, Zo, and Rad have to do their due diligence and make the best hire possible with the info and resources available.

My two biggest personal criteria for OC are:

- demonstrable record of success as a playcaller at the college level

- a coach with an identifiable system. Don't really care if it's Air Raid or Wing T (okay I care a little) but don't just tell me it's "multiple". We've seen too many Spread Coasts and hodge-podge offenses.

giphy.gif

He was only at Kentucky for a year with Stoops & then Stoops fired him because they went 5-7 & Stoops was feeling some heat on the verge of being on the Hot-seat because he had been under .500 for his first 3 seasons, plus that wasn’t the style of Offense he wanted to run anyway.

I didn’t even entertain for a second the idea of us hiring an Air Raid guy because I hate to be disappointed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back