The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Every OC is going to come with some kind of question mark or caveat. Mario, Zo, and Rad have to do their due diligence and make the best hire possible with the info and resources available.

My two biggest personal criteria for OC are:

- demonstrable record of success as a playcaller at the college level

- a coach with an identifiable system. Don't really care if it's Air Raid or Wing T (okay I care a little) but don't just tell me it's "multiple". We've seen too many Spread Coasts and hodge-podge offenses.

That’s why I’m glad Hartline wasnt the pick.

Every OC is going to come with some kind of question mark or caveat. Mario, Zo, and Rad have to do their due diligence and make the best hire possible with the info and resources available.

My two biggest personal criteria for OC are:

- demonstrable record of success as a playcaller at the college level

- a coach with an identifiable system. Don't really care if it's Air Raid or Wing T (okay I care a little) but don't just tell me it's "multiple". We've seen too many Spread Coasts and hodge-podge offenses.
All of this, especially the last point.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

He wasn’t with Hal at Kentucky though, he started out with him at Southeastern Louisiana & followed him to New Mexico ST, then he was OC at Stephen F Austin under JC Harper, that’s where Dana Holgorsen found him & then brought him into West VA.

He was only at Kentucky for a year with Stoops & then Stoops fired him because they went 5-7 & Stoops was feeling some heat on the verge of being on the Hot-seat because he had been under .500 for his first 3 seasons, plus that wasn’t the style of Offense he wanted to run anyway.

He bounced back after successful tints at Southern Miss & Houston (reuniting with Holgorsen).

IMO would do very well here, but don’t think for a second he would ever get hired.
I want to applaud @Cane6 for his outside the box thinking. Forget regurgitating the same old recycled names. Like a magnet drawn to metal, If we really want the return of the artist formerly known as LCE this is what must be done. Yesterday, it was Tiquan Underwood. If Mario sticks to his typical timeline, we may be able to not only get him to give us a OC/QB/WR coach list but we may even squeeze a list of some young upcoming DB coaches from Abilene Christian, UIW, Sam Houston or SFA as well.

If its not Mullen i would definitely prefer someone from the NFL. Used to dealing with grown men who make more money than he does. I want someone who can communicate and hold people to account. Someone Cristobal doesnt have to wonder if he meeting with the QB or position coaches. Whatever **** scheme they run
I've seen you say "communicate" in past couple posts. I agree that even the most vanilla playbook can work if you can communicate it effectively. Do you think an "NFL guy who is used to dealing with grown men" can communicate effectively with 18 year-olds? Even if they are used to working with professionals? I understand your premise, but don't see the correlation.

IMO, after having failed with a younger candidate with limited playcalling experience, I think Mario's knee-jerk reaction is to go the opposite way and hire someone older with demonstrated experience calling plays. If I had to guess, I'd predict a more senior guy.

Advertisement
I've seen you say "communicate" in past couple posts. I agree that even the most vanilla playbook can work if you can communicate it effectively. Do you think an "NFL guy who is used to dealing with grown men" can communicate effectively with 18 year-olds? Even if they are used to working with professionals? I understand your premise, but don't see the correlation.

This is always a real concern with an NFL coach IMO. Not just relating to 18 year olds but the time constraints imposed by an NCAA job.

Ideally if we choose from the pros, I'd like a guy that has had at least some relatively recent college experience.

Do you think we really mature that much from 18 to 34? LOL.

I want to add two smaller names to the OC list.

Scotty Walden - Austin Peay HC
Collin Klein - Kansas State OC

Definitely not at the top of my list but I thought I’d add some to discussion
I thought about Klein only downside I noticed is that he’s an K State alum.

Advertisement
You cant talk down to professionals. You develop clear lines of communication, consequences, reward and punishment. Also getting grown men to understand things they are not getting, you develop ways that are proven for players to understand, schematics. I just feel like Miami, and USC in some ways benefit from these type of coaches whether the Head man or coordinators and position coaches.

My feeling on our issues its more than scheme and about conduct overall, even when scheme was an issue with Gattis

Advertisement
Grubb got a raise right after the end of the season, I believe he is now a 2 million OC. No one is safe with Saban.

Ole Nicky said “**** it, I’m gonna throw the ball like there is no tomorrow for the final year(s) of my career”

Last edited:
I want to applaud @Cane6 for his outside the box thinking. Forget regurgitating the same old recycled names. Like a magnet drawn to metal, If we really want the return of the artist formerly known as LCE this is what must be done. Yesterday, it was Tiquan Underwood. If Mario sticks to his typical timeline, we may be able to not only get him to give us a OC/QB/WR coach list but we may even squeeze a list of some young upcoming DB coaches from Abilene Christian, UIW, Sam Houston or SFA as well.

I was looking at every team that averaged at least 30ppg, and then researched who their OC was and what kind of resume they had. Shannon Dawson passed the initial filter test.

I would be surprised if Mario hires a current NFL guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back