The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
**** that bad thought he did good under Chip!?
I don’t know much about him really. I’m mostly joking around because I remember that Helfrich came here one summer and sat in with Mark Richt and people on here were disappointed that Mark didn’t make him the OC as opposed to going back to Jon.

Advertisement
I dont see a reason to take away what Brady did at LSU. What im not ignoring is what he done since. Its funny that man said its not right mention how much talent LSU had, quickly reference what personnel Carolina did not have. So which is it?
But the more interesting fact is that LSU had the very same talent the year before Brady was hired to update the playbook. Same QB, WR's and RB's and they managed only 17 passing TDs. With Brady adding new passing concepts and calling plays in the red zone passing yardage increased from 2970 to 6024 yards and passing TD's from 17 to 61.

I don’t know much about him really. I’m mostly joking around because I remember that Helfrich came here one summer and sat in with Mark Richt and people on here were disappointed that Mark didn’t make him the OC as opposed to going back to Jon.
I remember that wasn't it like a analyst situation where he was showing Richt the offense Chip was running? IMO he did a **** good job as OC for Chip but wasn't ready to be Head Coach his offense in 2016 and before was more modern than anything we've seen here outside of Lashlee!

This board is funny, its always 100% one way or 100% the other. No in between.

The improvements Joe Brady helped engineer at LSU over the prior year with similar personnel was a masterful coaching job.
In hindsight, the talent level on that team might slightly temper some of the offensive "genius" talk.

Two things can both be true at once, no need to always pick a side. He did a fantastic job coaching that team up to its talent level. There is a lot of space between an Andy Reid offense and a Josh Gattis offense. Its not always boom or bust.

Advertisement
This board is funny, its always 100% one way or 100% the other. No in between.

The improvements Joe Brady helped engineer at LSU over the prior year with similar personnel was a masterful coaching job.
In hindsight, the talent level on that team might slightly temper some of the offensive "genius" talk.

Two things can both be true at once, no need to always pick a side. He did a fantastic job coaching that team up to its talent level. There is a lot of space between an Andy Reid offense and a Josh Gattis offense. Its not always boom or bust.
Agreed. I distinctly remember ESPN breaking down the changes Brady made to LSU’s offense and showing the differences relative to the previous season. Brady used more spread formations to open up the passing game. It’s silly to say he had no impact. Conversely, yeah, I’m sure it didn’t hurt to have Burrow throwing the ball to Chase. Both things can be true simultaneously.

I want to add two smaller names to the OC list.

Scotty Walden - Austin Peay HC
Collin Klein - Kansas State OC

Definitely not at the top of my list but I thought I’d add some to discussion

Klein would be a good spark. K-State's offense looked good no matter who the QB was.

I've said it before, but Bryan Ellis at Georgia Southern would be a good fit. Cut his teeth at Western Kentucky and UCSw too.

I want to add two smaller names to the OC list.

Scotty Walden - Austin Peay HC
Collin Klein - Kansas State OC

Definitely not at the top of my list but I thought I’d add some to discussion
Waterboy Get GIF

Advertisement
My opinion only - we are going to have to take a reclamation project or up and coming guy in the position due to Mario’s burgeoning reputation as an offensive dumpster heap. I will count us lucky (and confirmed how well funded we are) if we can get an experienced P5 OC that’s good

Advertisement
Advertisement
There was an OC who had all those same players…..Steve Ensminger at LSU in 2018. And the offense wasn’t even in the same galaxy as the 2019 LSU offense.
Joe Burrow was a mid level QB with mediocre stats and minimal success until Brady coached him. When he transferred from OSU to LSU he was just another QB, and his first year at LSU was solid, nothing more.
Sure. But are we going to totally discount the progression and maturation that college players make from one year to the next?

Listen, I am on board with Brady but it is not incorrect to suggest that he has a limited history and precedent. I mean, what has he done with a lesser talented offense? We have no idea. That concerns me here, given the fact we don't have any round 1 talent right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back