The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiDLer80

All-American
Assuming Gattis gets sh't canned at the end of the season who are the candidates you want to see take over the offense?

My list:

Tom Herman: His offense got better every year at Texas finishing 7th in scoring the year he was fired.
Scott Frost: Failed as HC at Nebraska, but that may just be a dead program. Runs an uptempo spread offense that Florida athletes would thrive in.
Dan Mullen: Runs a power spread that's been successful everywhere he's been. I don't like how he uses his QB as a battering ram though.
Art Briles: We all know his story. Probably done coaching in college but would be a homerun hire at OC.

The above are all available.

Candidates below who are currently employed:

Jeff Scott: Current HC of South Florida that parlayed Clemson offensive success into a HC gig. The decline in efficiency immediately after he left Clemson was noticeable. Runs a power spread that would mesh with Cristobal's vision. Has won 4 games in 3 years at USF. May get fired after this season.
Alex Golesh: His name came up during our search to fill the staff. Only way I'd see him leave for a lateral position is if Heupel is the one calling plays and Golesh wants the reins. I couldn't find confirmation on who calls their plays.
Andrew Sowder: I've seen somebody mention him a couple times so adding him to the list. Took over the 104th scoring offense in 2018 at Kent State and had them #1 by 2020.
Warren Ruggiero: One of the prototypical "does less with more" coaches coordinating that Wake Forest offense. Since 2017 has averaged at least 30 points each season with the last two hovering around 40ppg.

Expanded List since original OP:

Garrett Riley: Younger brother of Lincoln. Has coordinated three offenses (including this season) and had the 15th, 10th and currently 3rd scoring offense.
Brian Hartline: Current Ohio State WR coach. Never coordinated on offense before, but is among the most elite recruiters. Can he run his own offense? Learned offense under some of the best in his time at Ohio State. Would need to leave his alma mater to further advance his career.
Phil Longo: Current UNC OC. Unlikely to leave UNC and their great young QB for a lateral position, but runs the type of offense that would thrive at Miami
Robert Anae: Well traveled OC. Has made stops at Hawaii, BYU, Arizona (under Rich Rod), Texas Tech (under Leach) and now Syracuse (under Dino Babers) among others.
Scott Satterfield: Current Louisville HC, previously App State's OC and the HC. Was also OC under Cristobal at FIU. Was flirting with the hot seat earlier this season after a slow start, but at 5-3 that's probably cooled off. Runs a spread that Miami needs.
Willy Korn: Current Coastal Carolina OC. Runs a read option and RPO modern offense that Miami has sorely been lacking. Huge part in that program's emergence.
Larry Fedora: Where the **** is he these days? Former UNC HC, Oklahoma State OC. Spread offense. Is he still interested in coaching?
Kevin Sumlin: Current HC of a team in the USFL. Is that where he wants to be? Another offensive mind that's learned the way of the spread offense.
Jason Candle: A name that was mentioned on our last search. Current Toledo HC. Similar to Satterfield came into the season possibly on the hot seat, but at 6-3 is probably safe where he's at.
Phillip Montgomery: Current Tulsa HC. Possibly on the hot seat with a 3-5 record this season, and sub .500 record as HC there. Former OC at Baylor under Briles so he knows the ways of the demonic veer n shoot offense.
Joe Brady: Current QB coach of the Buffalo Bills. Rumors are he doesn't like recruiting, and is most likely going to be an NFL OC in the next two-three years, but I'll add him based on being from SoFla.

Tom Herman (FAU), Scott Satterfield and Jason Candle (retained) no longer viable options.
Alex Golesh removed (USF)
Anae removed (NC State)
Phillip Montgomery removed (Auburn)
Garret Riley and Jeff Scott removed as they're both going to Clemson.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Let the fun begin, lol.

Scott is interesting name that I hadn’t thought about. He is definitely getting the boot but don’t think that’d be a good move. Even at Clemson, he wasn’t a super X and O’s guy who was amazing at scheming it up IMO. He shined at Clemson because they had generational college QB’s and an elite hit rate when recruiting WR’s. He deserves credit for that, and he maximized all of those guys for sure but as we can see at USF, he isn’t really doing more with less…and we need someone that has a proven track record of doing that ie scheming and X and O’ing their way to success offensively regardless of their personnel. Scott will definitely get a job, but that would be extremely risky and something we can’t afford to do. JMO

Advertisement
Advertisement
Garrett Riley, but ain’t going to happen.
Does he call plays? Think I read Dykes gave him his first shot to coordinate an offense. He may be loyal to Dykes and not leave for a lateral position. He runs the kind offense we need though.

He's coordinated three offenses (including this season) and had the 15th, 10th and currently 3rd scoring offense.

I would gladly take scott frost. think it would be a perfect fit and exactly what we need
Scott frost would be a DISASTER if even half of what I have read is accurate. I followed a lot of the comments on the main board during this season leading up to his termination. He has been more than a bit "distracted" over the past couple of years in Nebraska. Huge issues with alcohol and banging coeds at one sorority on campus. Missing or late for practices, failed to show at an in-home with a 5 star recruit due to being out drinking ... called the crewts dad hung over or still drunk. His wife left him some time earlier in the year and returned to Orlando area. From all I have read I would avoid Frost like the plague. Mullen would be an interesting choice for sure. Tom Herman would be a great choice as well if he still has the fire. Sometimes those big buyouts can extinguish the "need" to succeed.

Advertisement
Scott frost would be a DISASTER if even half of what I have read is accurate. I followed a lot of the comments on the main board during this season leading up to his termination. He has been more than a bit "distracted" over the past couple of years in Nebraska. Huge issues with alcohol and banging coeds at one sorority on campus. Missing or late for practices, failed to show at an in-home with a 5 star recruit due to being out drinking ... called the crewts dad hung over or still drunk. His wife left him some time earlier in the year and returned to Orlando area. From all I have read I would avoid Frost like the plague. Mullen would be an interesting choice for sure. Tom Herman would be a great choice as well if he still has the fire. Sometimes those big buyouts can extinguish the "need" to succeed.

I'd do my own investigating in regards to Frost before even interviewing. You never know what is true and what are rumors justifying a guy flaming out spectacularly.

Frankly, I'd look more at Mullen and Herman as options. I'd also have that second tier of candidates ready. Jeff Lebby doesn't appear to be a good fit at OU, Venables may not have a long tenure at this rate, Lebs may want to bail out before it gets toxic. I also like Harrell, I think he got a bum rap at USC due to dealing with Helton. Lots of quality OCs out there, FIND ONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back