The OC Candidates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Ruggiero has been OC/QB for Clawson since 2009. Doubt he‘d leave unless he wants a HC opportunity.

Its clear the old tried and true isnt working so lets try and get some up and coming OC..

Andrew Sowder - Kent State
Bryan Ellis - Georgia Southern
Will Stein - UTSA
Ben Arbuckle - WKU
Mike Shanahan - JMU

Advertisement
Not if he's not calling plays.
I think he’s going to get P5 HC opportunities. I’m also pretty sure I heard an analyst (or May have been mentioned during the UK game) that he does in fact call plays.

Be wary of big names who are ex head coaches. I'd rather have the young and hungry wizard who wants to impress on a bigger stage. Mullen gets a lot of talk here but I don't see the appeal. Yes, he put some magic together back in the Tebow days, but that's really hard to duplicate and I don't really want an offense like that anyway. His best work may have been with Kyle Trask which was a departure from his style, but even then, he was pointlessly inserting Emory Jones in the middle of drives and breaking momentum. Frost? No. I saw no evidence of offensive greatness at Nebraska and he certainly had time to show it. Herman's history is intriguing, but I wonder how motivated he is to work as an OC now.

I will say the issue is the coordinator may want his guys. Mullet interviewed here twice so maybe he is interested in Miami. Be a good sounding board for Miami as former head coach of big programs. He’d be a home run. Trask has a noodle arm and that offense was smokin. Utilized unique talents well.

Ponce will be a casualty if this is done right. Which is fine by me. Cause most coordinators want to coach qbs or they have their guy

I will also add that Alonzo will need to be instrumental here to self scout this team and program and lead us to candidates. Hopefully scouting portal guys will help find an OC who’s young and hungry.

Also Riley may just be running Sonny’s offense so be wary.

Advertisement
I know LCE is in the lab right now writing up a beautiful dissertation with full candidate profiled to bless us with.
@Liberty City El is highly unlikely to do so, since the Mario bro sycophants would probably come at him with pitchforks and torches.

He actually shared a bunch of great options on the “Coordinator Hires” thread earlier this year. He had candidates from even Divison II that would have been miles ahead scheme and results wise of what we’re seeing from the Mario/Gattis clown show.

I will say the issue is the coordinator may want his guys. Mullet interviewed here twice so maybe he is interested in Miami. Be a good sounding board for Miami as former head coach of big programs. He’d be a home run. Trask has a noodle arm and that offense was smokin. Utilized unique talents well.

Ponce will be a casualty if this is done right. Which is fine by me. Cause most coordinators want to coach qbs or they have their guy
Casualty? Tf.

Advertisement
Have to kick the tires on Golesh, like everyone else will. Make him turn down the brinks truck to call plays.

Be wary of big names who are ex head coaches. I'd rather have the young and hungry wizard who wants to impress on a bigger stage. Mullen gets a lot of talk here but I don't see the appeal. Yes, he put some magic together back in the Tebow days, but that's really hard to duplicate and I don't really want an offense like that anyway. His best work may have been with Kyle Trask which was a departure from his style, but even then, he was pointlessly inserting Emory Jones in the middle of drives and breaking momentum. Frost? No. I saw no evidence of offensive greatness at Nebraska and he certainly had time to show it. Herman's history is intriguing, but I wonder how motivated he is to work as an OC now.

This is what the NFL has been doing...just plucking Sean McVay / Andy Reid disciples. Even LSU with Joe Brady on board was a water carrier for the Saints. I was very pro Dorsey...and that Daboll tree is blooming nicely.

Trying to get one of those guys in here would be choice.

The lower level G5, FCS wizards would be nice, too. Wouldn't be **** hires at first, but those have seemingly been fruitful hires in CFB. Mike Gundy, for example, landed a few key young playcallers in a row mining the lower levels.

I'm not saying Rich Rodriguez himself but someone who runs a similar offense. I think that's a good compromise for Mario. Mario won't hire an Air Raid OC so let's not bring it up. Kendall Briles makes a ton of sense but he rejected us last year

Advertisement
This is what the NFL has been doing...just plucking Sean McVay / Andy Reid disciples. Even LSU with Joe Brady on board was a water carrier for the Saints. I was very pro Dorsey...and that Daboll tree is blooming nicely.

Trying to get one of those guys in here would be choice.

The lower level G5, FCS wizards would be nice, too. Wouldn't be **** hires at first, but those have seemingly been fruitful hires in CFB. Mike Gundy, for example, landed a few key young playcallers in a row mining the lower levels.
Dan mullen

Assuming Gattis gets sh't canned at the end of the season who are the candidates you want to see take over the offense?

My list:

Tom Herman: His offense got better every year at Texas finishing 7th in scoring the year he was fired.
Scott Frost: Failed as HC at Nebraska, but that may just be a dead program. Runs an uptempo spread offense that Florida athletes would thrive in.
Dan Mullen: Runs a power spread that's been successful everywhere he's been. I don't like how he uses his QB as a battering ram though.
Art Briles: We all know his story. Probably done coaching in college but would be a homerun hire at OC.

The above are all available.

Candidates below who are currently employed:

Jeff Scott: Current HC of South Florida that parlayed Clemson offensive success into a HC gig. The decline in efficiency immediately after he left Clemson was noticeable. Runs a power spread that would mesh with Cristobal's vision. Has won 4 games in 3 years at USF. May get fired after this season.
Alex Golesh: His name came up during our search to fill the staff. Only way I'd see him leave for a lateral position is if Heupel is the one calling plays and Golesh wants the reins. I couldn't find confirmation on who calls their plays.
Andrew Sowder: I've seen somebody mention him a couple times so adding him to the list. Took over the 104th scoring offense in 2018 at Kent State and had them #1 by 2020.
Warren Ruggiero: One of the prototypical "does less with more" coaches coordinating that Wake Forest offense. Since 2017 has averaged at least 30 points each season with the last two hovering around 40ppg.

Who'd you add to this list as names to watch/explore?
I'd take any of the top 3 you listed. Briles is probably off the table, great offensive mind but I doubt the school touches him with a 10 ft pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back